Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What is the violence level in BKK today?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's happening there today? Are roads blocked?
Would travel to the traditional sights be impaired by what's going on politically?

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Note that there is a long thread about the protests a few posts below.

Basically, roads are not blocked other than the streets immediately around the Government House. Going to and from the Grand Palace area, I'd take the water taxi rather than surface streets (but I would do that anyway).

A number of regular posters are in Bangkok, and the typical assessment is that they wouldn't know anything was going on if they didn't tune in to CNN.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Travel is perfectly fine nowadays. I have just returned from a Bangkok trip and I went about my touristy shopping as I have done over the years.

Go book your tickets there now!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 12:22 AM

I am currently in Bangkok and have been here for a week.

I have not seen anything out of the ordinary and only realised there was demonstations etc when i saw it in the newspapers.

I have been to the normal spots and restaurants and if anything things seem even calmer than ever before.

No problems at all.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

What's the latest in BKK vis a vis protests?
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Are you going to read the replies you've already had?

Your last reply was 16 hours ago. World War Three probably hasn't happened in the meantime.

You're sounding anxious. Don't be. Bangkok's a big city. Ain't nothing bad gonna happen to you.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me:
I will be fine.
I will have a great time.
I will see the sights.
I will not be killed.

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Ooops - three days and sixteen hours ago... lol

Just get a lovely limo from the airport with Mom and your 3 days will go ju-u-u-ust fine. You won't even know anything is going on.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

With all due respect, dogster I went around the world traveling for 2 years with backpack. I'm not an alarmist. To change all the plans, reservations, bookings for a carefully planned vacation is a painstaking process and as one approaches the travel date starts to cost money in cancellations.

I think sarcasm is cheap. Things can change in a country in a matter of minutes. take a look at the stock markets around the world.

And yes, I read all the replies.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM

I think dogster's point (sarcasm aside) was that this is a nation where political rumblings have happened all the time--it's part of what makes Thailand a young and exciting country.

We went shortly after the 06 coup and were understandably nervous, never having faced something like that for any trip we had taken up to that point. But, it turned out to be exactly as others had described: you never would have known anything was out-of-the-ordinary.

Obviously what's going on now is a bit more serious than that in its' scope. I doubt, still, that you'd notice any difference either way. In its current state, all of this is mostly focused on government-related locations and does not involve, nor is, nor would be targeted towards tourists. Imagine going to Seattle during the WTO debacle--lots of protesters, lots of violence, but doubt it would affect you as a tourist.

My best advice is: if you're a nervous traveler in general and knowing what you know still makes you nervous, don't go. No amount of encouragement or additional info from us is going to make you feel any better about going. Nothing is ever guaranteed--and no one here can give you a definite about anything--just our best guess. If you feel, like me, that life is meant to not worry over, you'll have a beautiful vacation and most likely not notice, and definitely not be affected by all of this.

I will say, however, that no matter how bad things may get in BKK lately, it's not like you're going on vacation to Iraq or Pakistan here. Far from it.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Well, actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. Read my post again. Try reading it without your anxiety filtering it. Why don't you just read it straight.

The message is:
You are clearly anxious.
You don't need to be.
Please stop being anxious and CALM down.

How else would you like me to say that?

How many MORE people do you need to come in here and say it's gonna be O.K.?

Please don't include me in your tension. I've been to BKK thirty times in the last three years. I was there a month ago when all this began. I know what I'm talking about.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Are you THE Rula Lenska??
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Rula Lenzka: born Countess Roza-Marie Leopoldyna Lubienska on 30 September 1947.

That would make her 61.And she's taking her Mum to BKK. No wonder she's stressed. lol
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Hey Crell... hows the trip going? where are you now?