Help me pick a Thai Beach!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to plan out our itinerary for our 10th anniversary trip to Bangkok. We'll be visiting Angkor Wat, and doing a short stopover in Seoul, courtesy of Korean Air, and we are trying to find the right beach for inbetween.

We'll be busy in Cambodia and Bangkok, so we'll want to relax on a beach in Thailand. We'll be there in mid-October, and we're used to hot, rainy weather (we live in Florida). I want a place where I can get a massage on the beach, and have cocktails delivered to my chair while watching the waves, reading, or sleeping. My husband will be interested in classes, maybe kickboxing or cooking, as he can't sit still as well as I can.

We also want to take a boat tour of the islands and caves I keep seeing such beautiful pictures of. Maybe some snorkeling, or diving, too.

We're in our 30's and happy to be alone without kids for a vacation without amusement parks!

I've been scouring this board constantly for great advice, but haven't read anything about where to get drinks brought to you on the beach. Thanks for your help!!!

Holly
www.suthard.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM

the peace resort in koh samui was wonderful for us in june.....cocktails on the beach no problem...did not see massage on the beach but 50 feet away in a pavillion overlooking the large pool....reasonable and laid back...great restaurant....chawwang beach is about 15 minutes away for nite life...we had bungalow #204 right on the beach...about $85/day including breakfast...great pool

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM

For time of year and what you are seeking Koh Samui is probably your best bet, lots of places right on the beach, tropical island atmosphere plus nightlife/restaurants etc.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:09 AM

Nice beaches, good for snorkelling, islands and caves tour = Phuket. Amanpuri as well as other hotels will serve drinks on the beach, great rooms, view and food. Snorkelling via boat to some nearby islands and more boat + canoes(search the web for Sea Canoes) ride to visit caves. Lots of activities for your husband to do while you relax away.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Hmm. How far from Koh Samui are the caves and cool islands for touring? Should we do a day trip to Phuket from Samui in order to do our sightseeing, and stay in samui for the hotels?

We have Marriott points to use, too, and they have a resort in phuket. We've never been to asia before, and Phuket is what we've always heard about. I do want to be able to swim at the beach, I'd heard some reports of rocky, coral beaches in Samui, if I recall.

Keep the comments coming!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM

The beaches on Samui are nto rocky, but they are not ideal for swimming either as you generally have to go out 50 - 100 yards before you get past waist deep water. Samui truly is a tropical paradise - that being said, I think I am going to try Phuket next time... Does anyone know how the wether differs between the two in the summer months (Aug/Sept)?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:46 PM

Weather is the reason I suggested Samui, Aug/Sept is right in the middle of the peak rainy season for Phuket. The seasons change late October into November when Samui starts to get rain and Phuket 'looses' the rain.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like either place might be fine, or bad, weather wise. The actual dates are Oct 17-21 for the beach. Maybe I'll split my time between them, and drive down (or up) to the next beach. I'm leaning toward Phuket because of the sightseeing, but the hotels in Samui seem better. I really enjoy good hotels, and so does my husband, after years of business travel. I won't pay for the Amanpuri in Phuket.

Do any of the hotels offer classes on thai cooking, kickboxing, massage, and such?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:01 AM

what do you guys think about the Krabi beaches?

Laura