Help! Hotel advice please

Sep 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Help! Hotel advice please

Hi everyone
Thanks for all your help to date
I am still trying to decide on a hotel for the first week of our honeymoon.

Very quick background is that we are spending the last 7 nights in the Banyan Tree so we would like to keep the first week as tight as possible cost wise . We would like the following ( maybe impossible wish list!)

1. Close to a nice beach
2. Close to bars/restaurants if we so wish in the evenings
3. Not a huge resort
4. Feeling of being in a first class/luxurious hotel.

thanks !
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Opps - it might no be clear - we are going to Phuket!

Tks
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM

What time of year ? Rates change a lot, I think you posted elsewhere what time of year.

You can either stay or Phuket or perhaps head to somewhere like Khao Lak, Krabi, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta.
However - if you are spending that time at the Banyan then perhaps a contrast would appeal, and as you have said close to bars restaurants etc, please do say your budget !
There are just so many options that without knowing budget could be way off with suggestions.
If you can afford somewhwere like Mom tri's at Kata that would be nice, on the beach, close to bars and restaurants, small size and top class, but the price might be way out !

Kata is quieter than Patong but much more busy than laguna area, some great restaurants and you are within 20 minutes of Patong if you want to see some shows, night stalls and shopping and entertainment etc.

So time of year ? and budget ?
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much

We are going in Jan 2007 and I am looking for accomodation from 2nd to 8th of Jan
The budget is the trickey part! I can stay in the Tropical Garden/Central Resort Kata/ Sugar Palm etc for approx THB 28,000 ( Eur 600 ish)

My dilemma is - should I go a little more and pay equiv of €1,000 for the Kata Beach Resort type accomodation.

I want to keep the first 7 days tight but don't want to make a mistake / bad choice for the sake of a couple hundred euro and have a dissapointing first 7 days. Like I said I might be looking for the impossible at that time of year

We are Irish so I am sure we will find the Thai standard excellent in any event but I would like to experience a real treat the whole trip.......

So bascially the time of year is jan and the tops budget wise is €1,000
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Pk I remember now, January and we have discussed Kata.

Phi Phi has some excellent resorts but they would be high priced January.

Tropical garden resort I would say is 3 star, about USD 75-90 ( top is for sea view ), a mid range nice fun vacation style place, close to beach, a good mid range choice. Some recent reviews:

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...garden/review/

Roughly same price range is Sugar Palm Resort.

USD 80-90 range another good one is the Central Kata resort, Central is a local group that operates some very good hotels and resorts throughout Thailand, the Central is like Sugar palm behind the Club med so it's a walk to the beach but you are close to local restaurants and along that same area you can find the beach Club which is a great bar area with a pool, great fun in the evenings, Pina Colada's round the pool, music, fun atmosphere. The Central used to be called the Jiva which before becoming 'central' was well known solid established place

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot.../jiva/details/

I know others may suggest spending time elsewhere such as maybe Krabi, Phi Phi or heading down to Koh lanta but if you are into occupying yourself with day trip to Phi Phi, sea canoe around Phang Nga, Siam safrai to Elephant ride, or perhaps mud riding on ATV's and other activities you would find 2 weeks long at all, it will go all 'too quick'. There are a lot of fun things to do and you will find a huge range of day and half day trips. Also spas, Hideaway in the Patong hill area ( Soi nanai ) is nice in the afternoons for spa and massage. You can see Phuket Simon Show ( just entering Patong ) one evening and then dinner and shopping in Patong.
I think after that you will find Banyan quite different in being far quieter, but a goo combination. Also - by the time you get to banyan you will have the layout of Phuket, know what trips are available etc.

Sep 5th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Ok first week Jan prices are higher, but around THB 4,000 a night would be average.

Now from the added information I would still recommend some 'fun time' down Kata with some evening trips into Patong, I think the beach Club you would like (!)
You need to move fast on bookings for that period, you are going to find those mid range places comfortable, fun, just 'realx and enjoy' and you will have a superb time!
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much James
Do you think the Central may have too many kids? I read one review said that it was teaming with kids ( i guess we will get that everywhere in that price range.) I love kids but its our honeymoon although I doubt we will be over run with kiddies in the Banyan!

( see why I picked the name ' Indecisive!)

By the way - the other thing we thought we might so is do an overnight cruise trip which takes in Phi Phi and some other Islands etc and we get to snorkle etc. Would we have to check out of our Phuket base or just pay anyway for the night we are not there?

Am I getting from your recommendations that you think the Central is a little superior to the Tropical?
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

james

Is the Beach Club a Bar in the Kata Area or part of the Central resort

To be honest I think you get what I am after - fun the first week, out and about in the evenings, get a feel for teh place from a nice base and then the second week , relax, enjoy the spa and have a couple of very special dinners either in the Laguna area or perhaps outside somewhere with a view ( the banyan is a family present and not somewhere we would usually stay in case you think we are super rich!!! So we will spend some evenings dining locally)
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:54 AM

The beach Club is north from central, it's a bar area around a small swimming pool, nice fun in the evenings. I think you will have a good laugh and enjoy Phuket Simon Show, well worth seeing ( about USD 12-15 ). Patong is far busier that Kata but Kata gives you a nice balance. The Club Med takes up a lot of area along the beach and these places are on the next road behind, so you have to walk to the beach ( you can also rent bicycles around there ), you have to watch Kata and karon for places that have 'secluded location' or 'great views' because that means they are uo the hills ! So stick to the level ground the street behind Club Med.
There are places across from the beach road in Karon too which is between Kata and Patong.
if you had thoughts about Patong, at the south end about 5 mins walk down to the busy beach are dunagjitt and Cocount Village, these are walking distance into the 'busy' Patong area, but I think kata gives you lively without being crowded out, you are going absolute 'top' peak week, so be prepared not to be able to get the one that you want, but with R24 sites you can request as many as you want, 7 or 8 no worries, doesn't cost you a cent to put in a request and they 'don't' want your card details (!!), they then tell you whast 'is' available and then you have 2-3 days to decide, see what they come back with and then browse the photos and reviews and make a choice, you can find those through those other links or if you just want the full list to go to photos
http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...phuket/hotels/ or the luxury link above go through to the same listings anyway.
I was last down Kata a couple of months back and very quiet but Phuket is a fun place to be that time of year ( I lived there many years and still get down 3-4 times a year ).

Do make sure you have flights sorted eincluding the domestic sectors as you are flying 'absolute peak' days around the Dec 29- Jan 4 period, so get those flights booked if not already.
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:01 AM

That peak time yes, you are going to get lots of families, that's the way it goes, there are smaller places back from the vbeach that might not attract so many families but I really would 'shrug off' such concerns, concentrate on important things like remembering the Enno's or Alka Selzer for the morning after!!
There are daily trips to Phi Phi, book when you get there, although peak busy time families tend more to hang around the beach area.

http://www.phuketjettour.com/tour/kr...-byseatran.htm

http://www.phuketjettour.com/tour/kr...-speedboat.htm

http://www.phuketjettour.com/tour/phuket/canoe.htm

Sep 5th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I was actually looking at flights yesterday and there was a significant differnece between what Bangkok Air/Thai air prices and Air Asia Prices ( much cheper) - is there any particular reason for this?

I think the Central Kata sounds good and it runs a little bus to the beach in case its really warm in Jan?
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Simple, Air Asia is a budget carrier !
Thai has the most flights and they are all nice 'wide body' flights with full service / baggage allowance etc, Air Asia is a budget carrier, no frills, 15 kg baggage.
At that time of year you are going I would go for Thai for the high frequency / reliability etc.
Bangkok Airways has far less flights, smaller narrow-bidy flights, other options are Nok Air and One-2-Go ( One-2-Go is low cost and not budget, that means you get full baggage allowance, in flight snack and drink included and they have fixed fares which are cheap, but not as cheap as the first offers on the budget carriers).
Nok Air has Nok Plus which is old style business class seats at the front, 30 kg allowance, in flight snack, but again few number of flights.

Are you doing a direct connection? - if so go for Thai, if you are late for your budget carrier flight then it's 'tough luck' and you are then stuck trying to get a seat.
Now, you can book a one way with Thai going down as you are traveling peak time but when you head back for your few days in bangkok ( if I remember right you are doing that ) then go for a budget carrier, if you are delayed or whatever on that sector it's no big deal, but just make sure you have a fixed seat down to Phuket at that time.
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Ok - guess i nedd to go woth the larger baggage allowance option

Our flight arrives in B'kok on the 2nd Jan at 7.05am . How long should I leave to get a connecting flight to Phuket?

We depart B'kok on the 18th at 2.30am in the morning ( guess I should book an extra nights accomodation and just check out at likt 11.00pm on the 17th and go to the airport?
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Can you tell us which airline you are arriving on ? as some airlines can connect you and your baggage straight thru to Phuket, others can't.
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:18 AM

You best one would be the Thai at 0910, next is 1045, you need 2 hrs but if on a reliable airline the 0910 should be fine.
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi

We are flying with China Air? Dublin/ Amsterdam/ Bangkok .I've never flown with them before so I am not sure about reliability. Althouhg I guess if I go for the 9.10 with Thai and miss it they will put us on the next flight?

Finally - can I ask 2 more questions seeing as you have been a mind of information so far! I wanted to buy a good combo digitalcamera/video thingy. Is is best to get them in Bangkok or would I do as well in Phuket . Problem is we are doing Bangkoka the end of our trip

And last question is where to stay in bangkok. Budget of about USD 400 for 3 nights. We fly at 2.30am on the 18th . Do you know if hotels mind your luggage or would offer a late check out on the 17th? this way we would only have to book 2 nights?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for everything .