Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Dusit Laguna or Le Royal Meridien in Phuket in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between the two hotels for a visit in June 05. To give you a little info. we're two females in our early 30's looking for relaxation and some site seeing. This will be the last leg of our trip to Bangkok, Seim Riep and Phuket. We will be spending 3 days there. So we definitely will be exhausted and will need some R&R but not to the point of boredom. How accessible is Patong and Kata to these two hotels? What is the cost of transportation? Thinking of making a day trip to Phi Phi. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Are those the only 2 choices, I am guessing you are on a package and those are the only 2 offered?

Dusit is very nice but as you only have 3 days and you have mentioned you want to do Phi Phi I really would stay in Kata/Karon/Patong.
You really don't want to have to go to/from the main beaches in the evenings, although possible I think perhaps you would be happier somewhat closer to things to do(?)
At the moment there are a lot of bargains and June is low season so lots and lots of bargains.

Le Meridien Resort is now 'not' due to re-open until August!! So cross that off the list.

If you want Kata Beach ( convenient, some restaurants, relaxing, easy distance to Patong ) the Kata Thani is good at about $75-80, though the Buri section is closed until Nov, but the main resort fully open. That gives you good quality but easy access.

Ok hope that gives you a cross section of what is available, take a look at those and then you can come back and tell us how you feel budget wise and location wise,
Try www.patong-beach-hotels.com , they have all those plus probably 60-70 others and are local, covers all Phuket beaches and expensive places down to lowest budget, lots of photos.
Tip: Don't book your Phi Phi trip until the afternoon before you go as you will want to check the weather forecast as otherwise if it is raining and the sea a bit rough you might choose 'not' to go, and sometimes refunds could be a problem is they still operate but you were happier not going, I will anticipate your question: Boats to Phi Phi go from the East coast near Phuket Town, this is not an area to stay as the main beaches and resorts are west coast, but it is only 25-35 minutes from Patong/Kata/Karon to where the boats go from, little longer from Laguna area.
Transport is 'relatively' cheap though overall more than other parts, the tuk tuks of Phuket charge more than other places.
From Dusit to Patong about 30 mins depending on traffic/weather, Karon is another 10 minutes and then Kata another 5, though Patong is the busiest for restaurants, markets, shopping and entertainment, Karon is much quieter and then Kata one step down from that.
Now if doing some shopping and walking distance to a good choice of restaurant etc is what you want the Club Andaman resort in Patong has been around many many years, it is not beachfront but across the road from the beach ( as all are in Patong ) that is in the $75 region. Coconut Village is still within walking distance, this is base 3 star or plush 2 star whichever way you look at it, they are doing a pay 3 nights stay 4 nights deal at $33 a night twin with tax/breakfast etc. Kata beach resort is about $65, right on the beach at Kata. $35-40 for Old Phuket Hotel ( not old, built a couple of years back ), this is close to Karon, has restaurants and shops close by, down side is rooftop pool, but excellent value.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM

That was strange, my paragraphs have changed positions! sorry if it does not read too clear but seems like after posting the paraggraphs have changed around..
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM

if you don't know james by now from his postings, he gives the most fabulous advice on this board...go with him (his advice) if it suits you...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

The reason I choose Dusit and Le Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club is they were both 5 stars and were priced $72 and $92 respectively, both under a 100....on presicionreservations.com I can't find any place that says Le Royal Meridien is closed.
Also, are you familiar w/ the Davis Hotel in Bkk? Is it worth $73? The location seems central for shopping and site seeing.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM

you did not say yacht club...that is a different story and i think it is fully open...there are at least 2 merediens on phuket...

the davis is off of sukhumvit...the location is ok and some have reported that the walk to the skytrain is too far...i always take taxis so it would not bother me...i have looked at it for the last two trips but have not stayed there as of yet...its worth that money yes...

myself i prefer the river locations and especially the marriott resort and spa...royal river might interest you at a cheaper price...its probably a 2.5 or 3 star by bkk designations...they are not accurate like in europe...for instance some record the holiday inn silom as 4 star when it is clearly 3 and the sheraton orchid as 4 in the same category as well as the marriott...you cannot go by the stars totally...

i think what james has said makes lots of sense as far as being near to things..
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:49 PM

i should add....does it seem rational that a 5 * hotel should cost under $100 on a resort island???? unless it is a very special deal...the room might not be the best???
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Rates are low in June normaly and especially low this year, I just had a look at the rates, that $92 is the 'from' rate, out of curiosity I looked for June to get a price and there is another $18 Tax and service added which comes out at USD 110 per night.
The people I use and suggested are $ 106 a night including tax/service/breakfast, only $4 cheaper but shows you need to watch rates anywhere where they say 'from' and then come in and add Tax and service.

Nai Harn is a nicd beach area but it is further down the coast from Kata, there are some local places to eat but it not considored a busy area, if you want quiet then it is quite nice but again, if you want to be close to restaurants and shopping then the Kata/Karon area for busy but not over busy or Patong if you want very busy.

You need to think about the Beach you want first.

It's the Meridien Resort that is closed until August, both these places have changed their names over the years, the Yacht Club by the way is not a Yacht Club, it used to be called the Phuket Yacht Club and then Meridien took it over but kept that part of the name.

Meridien Resort is between Patong and Kata, was always called as being in Patong, then changed to call their location as 'Relax Bay', they have now decided to call it "Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort". This is the one closed until August. This is all done so that no one gets confused ( say whooooohhh )
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Dusit Laguna a few years ago. It was okay but I wasn't overly impressed. There was some constuction going on in the lobby however, which didn't help things. I also thought the rooms could use a bit of a lift although the bathrooms were very nice. As far as the location, unless you want to sit around and do nothing, there isn't a whole lot near by, unless I missed something, but we were there for three days and became a bit stir crazy. Then again, my husband and I are not very good at sitting around for more than a few hours.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Check out the Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, specifically the "Busakorn Wing" area! It's our favorite hotel in Phuket and close to all the action! Hopefully they have re-opened since the tsunami