Haunman how are things?

Nov 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Haunman how are things?

Any news regarding the airport? Do you know if the protestors have left? My son and daughter are supposed to fly into BKK 28th and they are in Phnom Phen right now and are very concerned about getting their flight back to the US on the 30th (out of BKK)
I hope that you and your family are safe - There are very few updates on any newswires here especially since all the awful happenings in Mumbai. Any first hand news you have will be greatly helpful.
Sue
Nov 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Hi Sue,

As of right now both airports are still closed. There are rumours, from friends at TG and the press corp, that there MIGHT be good news this afternoon regarding the airport. However, even if the protesters vacate the airport today it will take more than a day for it to resume normally.

The information above is hearsay so I don't know how real it is.
Nov 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Sue,

I recommend that your children reroute their trip from Phnom Phen to Hong Kong or Singapore and then back to the States. No matter what happen in Bangkok, or Thailand, it will be a few days before the airport can operate again.

Another strong rumour of a coup later today....
Nov 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Hanuman
My "kids" spent all day yesterday trying to sort this out and are doing as you suggest and leaving SE Asia via Cambodia. They are having great trouble though in getting their respective airlines (Cathay and Korean) to confirm that the final leg of their original tickets out of BKK will not automatically cancel out once they get to HK and Seoul. Working from Phnom Phen it is difficult to get anything resolved with certainty. At least they are not in any dangerous position and for that I'm thankful.

I'm grateful for your information and so hope things calm down and that you and your family will be safe.
Sue
P.S. That spygirl needs to find some valium or something - she never lets up does she?
Nov 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM

You're welcome Sue. I have a friend from Hong Kong who was caught up in the initial protest at the airport and he just made it back to Hong Kong today. He hired a taxi and drove to the Cambodian border and had to stay there for 24 hours under their visa regulation before flying back to Hong Kong.

A localised state of emergency was declared by the PM a couple of hours ago and now they are getting ready to storm the airports.
Nov 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Hanuman
Thanks agin for your help and advice. Both Melanie & Rob managed to book flights out of Cambodia, catching up with their onward flights to the US on Sunday. Our daughter did not have to pay any extras but our son was charged $500 (US) for his ticket change. I think though that if flights are still not leaving BKK on Sunday he should be able to get that part refunded.

I so so hope this all gets resolved. I am planning on flying in there just a month from now. Virtually nothing of my trip is refundable (perhaps the FF miles if we don't go) but the rest is a one week certificate at the BKK Marriott which expires, and two weeks at Marriott timeshares in Phuket that are also about to expire if not used. Additionally, we have two weeks in timeshares in Hawaii on our way back - which, if we don't go will also be wasted as they expire too!

I am feeling positive though and, by the mere fact that the Thailand situation is not even on the news radar here is a good thing (I think)

There are stories about it on Reuters but that seems to be the only newswire that's covering it.

Hope your outward bound trips go OK, and, thanks again for your great advice.
Sue
Nov 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Hanuman
Topping this thread, in case you have any new information. The BBC here in Amsterdam isn't really telling us very much. DS and DH are scheduled to arrive BKK on Dec 11. I will arrive one week later. Do we have any chance of getting to enjoy our Thailand trip???

Carol
Nov 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Carol,

I really hope the situation will be resolved soon but as of this moment I don't really know. I have plans to travel outside of the country around the end of the year as well and I'm putting that on hold until I know for certain.

Search this Thread