Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Great Stay: BKK Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

May 5th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

I am back from an incredible stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I was looking for a city-location hotel with great pool and I couldn't have asked for anything more.
(My original post: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34601661

I loved the hotel: huge rooms, great bfst buffet, friendly/helpful staff, next to stations, and of course, THE POOL! I am so glad for the suggestion. The tropical pool was exactly what I was looking for and I spent my entire time there from morning until night. I loved it so much I extended for one more day. I plan to go back, definitely.
(Addiitonal Comments)
1. While the pool is wonderful, it isn't your ordinary lap pool. It's 4ft. 9in. deep and instead of being a huge square, has various "passages" leading from one tropical area to the next among the foliage, fountains, bubbles, etc.
2. The poolside area isn't massive. I arrived on a Thai national holiday and it was packed during the morning. I luckily found the only available lounge chair. It wasn't quite so crowded in the afternoon. The other 2 mid-week days were very relaxed and had ample spaces all day long. Hotel has fitness club so pool is busy on holidays/weekends with local-resident members who come.
3. At night they offer a good-value poolside BBQ buffet. Seafood salads, standard and thai BBQ/with sauces, and also some of the best tandoori BBQ I've eaten-and I've been to India twice. For desert, 10-flavors of home-made ice cream, and sticky rice and fresh mangoes too. For one, about THB 1,000 including a beer and tax/svc.
4. The hotel is located just next to Asok station. Both Sky train and subway.
May 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM

glad to hear about the pool...i shall look at it next month for future stay...
May 5th, 2005, 08:36 PM

I guess that sheriton is the "sleeper" hotel property in bkk.. it dosn't look like anything special and rarely gets mentioned on fodors but I guess it's pretty good.. the location is certainly one of the best in town.. you have BTS and subway right near by..

May 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk,

Yes, please take a look and see what you think. I am sorry I didn't make it to any of the restaurants on your list, by the way. I pampered myself by staying close to the hotel, but I have saved your list for another time. And while I like the Sheraton Grande and want to go back, I promise to plan my next stay at "your" Marriott to compare.

May 6th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the report. We plan on staying there on our return trip next year. Glad for the positive report.
Aloha!
May 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM

i hope that you did get out of the hotel to see bkk a bit, not just the pool...??