Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel BKK

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel BKK

I've been driving myself batty reading and searching and trying to plan my first trip to BKK and Siem Reap and am putting together a post of my draft plan and questions for the amazing posters to here to critique and provide input.

In the mean time, this hotel caught my eye (based on current prices).

I realize this is a fairly new property and based on the limited reviews on Trip Advisor it still isn't quite ready to go.

They are offering some rates that look fairly agressive for November (Suite w/breakfast 5150 THB, delux king w/breakfast 3950 THB). But if the property and service aren't up to snuff by then it's not such a good deal.

Does anyone have any updates on their progress to be truly completed and up and running properly?

Is BKK time for this type of thing similar to "island time" where things take forever and a day, sometimes longer?

It looks like the location is handy to the Skytrain.

How is the location and neighborhood in general?

Thanks for your insight.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
pat

Just saw it on Travel Zoo for $83 a night.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:43 AM

don't know the hotel...maybe michaelbkk will have some advice as he lives in bkk or jamesA?????????

i did see a new hotel being built on suk so maybe that is it...

yes bkk time is slow and getting a property up to snuff takes forever and openings are often delayed and delayed...

but you often can get very good buys...

that over $100 so not sure that is that great a bargain

sofitel does a decent job usually
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:46 AM

i see it is on soi 6, sukhumvit....i think it must be in that field that was empty for so long on suk....maybe?

pics look very nice....that is a busy area and convenient for a mid-town hotel....

i still prefer the river...

the prices look excellent..
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I also saw this on Travelzoo yesterday for $84 incl b/f. Quite a deal. Travelzoo directed me through Expedia though to get the rate and it was complete pre payment, dont know about cancelation charges/options. One good thing was that these rates extended out through Jan/feb 07 for anyone interested in upfront payment months in advance. Sofitel is usually pretty good and the breakfast buffet we had at the Soffitel close to BKK airport was really wonderful. I still might consider this for a few days in Feb and will keep an eye on it.
Sue
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

The Sofitel website is showing virtually the same rates as Expedia.

The cheapest rate ($84) is for the prepaid non-cancellable reservation, however the unrestricted rate is only about $10 more per night($94) and for $104 you can get the unrestricted rate with breakfast.

The suites with breakfast are $157 on the unrestricted rate.

So definitely interesting prices, but does anyone have any good intellingence on the state of the hotel? There are limited reviews out there and it looks like they were based on expereiences just after the hotel opened.....