GoodWood Park Singapore, how is it now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody been to the GoodWood Park recently? The recent reviews I've seen are mixed. Since I'm partial towards old-world hotels, I'm still leaning towards it. My other option seems to be Royal Plaza on Scotts whose reviews are coming towards the slightly more positive side.

Anyone out there who could shed more light on the two hotels or a strict no-no on these?
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Warm greetings galactus,

Am certain that great SQ-loving HK lawyer (and former SIN resident) shall have thoughts on the matter, but as of a few days back, yours truly and friend truly had a good evening at Good with in-town friends. (With a most attractive waitress at Min Jiang.)

Our friends were quite pleased with their 'pool-side' suite. (I do not have any personal knowledge of the hotel's rooms - nor Royal Plaza - as we own a place in SIN.)

Savour your stay and have fun in Singapore.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM

I stayed in it a few years ago and there were mixed reviews then. I loved it-such a change to find an old building in Singapore. I read reviews then make up my own mind as the mixed bag allows me to see that service etc means different things to different people. I loved the garden, the pool, the variety of food available if you didn't want to go, the location.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Goodwood, but I've stayed at the Royal Plaza on Scotts many times over the past several years, before and after their remodel (which was much needed!)

The Royal Plaza is a great hotel, with the best service I've encountered anywhere. The rooms are nice enough, but set up more for business travelers IMO. You can't beat the location though and the Executive Floor offers some nice perks - breakfast, afternoon tea and drinks and snacks in the evenings. Nothing old world about it though.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I have not been in the rooms at the Goodwood in some years. I think tripadvisor.com is a good source for info, so if the reviews are more negative than positive, that is a pretty good indicator, IMO. I think the public areas are quite nice, but that does not always translate to the rooms.

I assume you have ruled out the Raffles, although it does have the old-world charm you may be looking for.

You might consider the Fullerton (in the old post office building) or their really lovely (modern) new hotel on the quay called the Fullerton Bay, see http://www.fullertonhotel.com/. The New Majestic or the 1929 may work as well, see http://www.newmajestichotel.com/ and http://www.hotel1929.com/. You could also consider one of the shop house rooms at the Intercontinental near Arab Street, great location; read tripadivsor.com because there may be some noise issues with these rooms (they are on street level).

You might look at the Perak (http://www.peraklodge.com/), which I have not been inside, but this place always looks interesting to me. It is in a nice location in the middle of the shop house area of Little India. (AND you get a discount at Apollo Banana Leaf curry house, which you will want to go to anyway…). n Chinatown, you might try The Inn at Temple Street (http://www.theinn.com.sg/) this gets some not so great reviews on tripadvisor.com, but some good ones too. The Berjaya Hotel (formerly the Duxton Hotel, see http://www.berjayaresorts.com/beachresort_duxton.htm), may also work in terms of old-world atmosphere, I think it is a little worn, but location is very good for the Chinatown area.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I was getting a good deal for GoodWood Park and Royal Plaza on Scotts from my travel agent and decided on the former let's see how it goes.

Cicerone: I ruled out both Raffles and Fullerton due to budget constraints plus the above mentioned good deal for GoodWood. I'm a little wary of The Inn at Temple Street after reading its reviews on TA, but the Berjaya looks really interesting. For my next trip, I'd certainly keep it among my top choices, thanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd update my experience here. I finally picked GoodWood Park and had a wonderful 4 day stay there. The service is absolutely wonderful, they even managed to give us a room despite some confusion over the booking which was sorted later.

The rooms in the main building are better than in the extension, certainly bigger but are without a balcony. I tried the Min-Jiang restaurant which I found to be decent but not too special. I really liked their breakfast spread though.

Location is very close to Orchard Road but its difficult to get a cab from just outside the hotel. Its easier to catch one from Orchard or ask the staff to dial a cab.

In conclusion, impeccable rooms, charming and decent food. Definitely recommended