Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Upscale funky botique hotels in Singapore?

Sep 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a unique, upsccale boutique style lodging with a great location in Singapore. I have seen all the major massive high rise hotels (Ritz, 4 seasons....etc.) but I want to stay in something more unique. (I do not mind spending up to $200 for a great place with Singapore charm) Any suggestions? Thanks
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM

The Gallery promotes itself as a 'Hip Hotel' ultra modern, gets a lot said about it, I haven't stayed myself but I think some other posters have stayed there and maybe you could do a search on the forum for postings on it. If you want older character style places could take a look at the 'Royal Peacock' which is a group of old shop houses converted into a boutique hotel,nice service, small rooms, but great for early 1900's style but it's just really rooms and no other facilities. The 'Berjaya Duxton' is also converted shop houses into a boutique style hotel though I haven't stayed there myself.
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Would The Fullerton fit the bill?Not exactly what you would call boutique but in the renovated,historic former post office with swanky Phillipe Starck interiors.Location is good near Clarke Quay.It is certainly not high-rise either.
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:53 AM

The Duxton Road and Chinatowns areas are interesting with lots of converted shop houses. I used to like eating at the Inn of Sixth Happiness and thought it would be a fun place to stay. However, I see from their website that they have closed or are under renovation, but are promoting another hotel in the area, The Inn at Temple Street. Take a look at

The Inn at Temple Street
36 Temple Street Singapore
Phone: 6221-5333
Fax: 6225-5391
http://www.theinn.com.sg/

From a look at tripadvisor.com, I don't think it is luxurious, but definitely is quirky.

I also think if you want some charm and history, that the Raffles Hotel would be an excellent place to stay. Great location, rooms are done in a colonial style, some great restaurants and bars. Certainly not a high rise. Is probably over your budget, but worth a look.

"Upscale" at $200 in Singapore might be hard to do.

Sep 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM

When i go to Chinatown to eat, i always walk past this hotel that looks really cool. The location is not 5-star, but the decor can't be beat. They have a website: http://www.hotel1929.com
Sep 10th, 2004, 07:54 PM

1929 also has an outstanding restaurant called Ember. Best creme brulee I've had in Singapore.
I've toured one of the rooms as well, but not stayed there.
Very funky, chic. Very small room. Smallest plasma TV screen I've seen hangs on the wall. A patio door opens onto a rooftop terrace complete with a bathtub. Yes, you read correctly. A full size tub. There are some trellises with greenery that provide marginal privacy, but unless you are a real exhibitionist, you would only use it by the dark of night.