Golden Week in Tokyo

Search

Golden Week in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golden Week in Tokyo

I will be in Japan the first two weeks of May and will have the first four nights on my own in Tokyo. I have a hotel booked in Ginza. Airline tickets paid, tour paid, so no changing dates, nor do I want to. I realize Golden Week is when people take vacation and office buildings are closed. Will museums be closed? Will department stores be closed? The Government Building where there are views of the city? Do restaurants close? I believe the fish market will be closed that week. I plan to visit shrines and enjoy using my camera around the city. I also want to sign up for some day tours and I hope they will be operating during the days I will be alone. This is my first time in Japan. Would appreciate advice on what to expect specifically with Tokyo closures.

Years ago I was in Amsterdam over Queens Day and was not deterred by things being closed. No public transportation at all. Yet, I had a great time. So I'm hoping Golden Week offers a similar experience.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:38 PM

I was once in Tokyo during Golden Week and didn't even realize it! But, here are a few posts that might help:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/qu....html?0+101552
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/qu....html?0+162124
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 04:17 PM

My experience is that most big businesses operate as usual, but smaller, private or family run shops and restaurants may close for the holiday period. There could be some inconvenience, but it shouldn’t be a major issue for visitors.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your posts. I found a trip report written by someone who was in Tokyo this year during Golden Week and it looks like many of things I want to do will be open. So much to see and so little time.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:35 PM

Things don't usually close during Golden Week because this is when businesses can make the most money. So there are actually lots of events going on and all the shops are open.

Also, the fish market closed down and has moved to Toyosu area if you didn't know already.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 09:13 AM

First, going around Golden Week does not necessarily have to be a "mistake". There is a huge exodus of people from the big cities at the start of it, and another wave for when they return at the end. If you are not fighting with the Japanese for the same seats, it does not have to be so bad at all. Plus the big cities during GW are not jammed either. I've been through 12 of them - and if you navigate things right, you can still do quite well.There are also a few good reasons actually to be in Japan at that time. The wisteria comes into full bloom then - and it is spectacular. Same thing for the azaleas, and the nemophila, and the tulips.... Popular places will not be empty of course, but they are something to see and are unforgettable.It's good to have your hotels squared away. Now is too early, but as soon as you find something suitable and open, then make that booking.

For the city views, normally it is open, but what you should know about the Tokyo Metro Gov't Bldg is that there are actually 2 buildings, the North & South Tower, and the South Tower obervatory deck is currently closed until next spring - can't say if it will be open again by the time you get over there. Honestly though, everyone and their dog knows about them and when I went earlier this year (on a weeknight!) there was a 30 minute wait for the elevators - every last person was a foreign tourist. There are other places like the Sky Tree and Mori Bldg, but they are quite pricey. There are though many other great free places with city views besides the TMG.

The other issue that you did not mention is money. But you can use your ATM card at any 7-11 and get yen that way, at a good exchange rate. And there are tens of thousands of them across Japan. You find one closest to you in Japan here.
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

These are all great tips. Thanks everyone. The more I read and watch YouTube videos, the more excited I get.
Diane