10 days in Japan Early November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are planning to go to Japan for 10 days in November (11/9-11/20). We are in our late twenties, have traveled independently quite a bit. We like to have a good mix of locals, sightseeing, all spectrums of food ($->$$$$), nightlife, nature, and hiking when we travel. I have been to Japan a couple of times but it's her first time, so will cover the major sights in Kyoto->Tokyo, and sprinkle in some different experiences along the way. It also looks like we will be able to catch some fall leaves throughout the trip!

Below is our rough itinerary, any feedback from this forum would be much appreciated!

Nov 9 (Fri): Arrive in KIX at 4:30pm -> Haruka to Kyoto
Nov 10 (Sat): Kyoto
Nov 11 (Sun): Kyoto
Nov 12 (Mon): Kyoto; daytrip to Nara
Nov 13 (Tue): Fukuoka; Sumo tournament
Nov 14 (Wed): Hiroshima
Nov 15 (Thurs): Koya-san
Nov 16 (Fri): Hakone? Onsen ryokan?
Nov 17 (Sat): Hakone? Onsen ryokan?
Nov 18 (Sun): Tokyo
Nov 19 (Mon): Tokyo; train to Studio Ghibli Museum, and hike Mt. Takao in afternoon
Nov 20 (Tues): Tokyo; fly out from HND

A few things on my mind:
  1. Didn't realize we will be in Kyoto AND Hakone both on the weekends, how busy is it going to be, and is it worth it to move things around to avoid? (might need to forfeit the $100 sumo tickets)
  2. The 2 nights in Hakone can be replaced by other scenic places. We read that Izu, Hokuriku / Kanazawa areas could also be nice. What would be your pick?
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 08:27 PM
kja

Originally Posted by steepnd
so will cover the major sights in Kyoto->Tokyo
I can safely say that your definition of the major sights is different than yours! For example, I think just skimming the surface of the highlights of Kyoto / Nara takes something on the order of 6 days -- twice what you are giving it. To each his/her own!

The 2 nights in Hakone can be replaced by other scenic places. We read that Izu, Hokuriku / Kanazawa areas could also be nice. What would be your pick?
I loved Kanazawa, but think it deserves at least 3 nights, or better, 5 nights in combination with Takayama. JMO.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Looks good to me. You will be early for fall colors at the beginning. You will want to visit a popular Shinto shrine on/;about the 15th for Shichi Go San. You could swap Hiroshima and Nara. Go to Hiroshima in the evening/night of the 11th or the morning of the 12th. It is really easy to daytrip to Kyushu Bassho from Hiroshima. There is a special bus from Hakata station to the sumo arena. That is the 11th (maybe), 12th and 13th nights in Hiroshima (though you could go further north after the sumo ends at 6PM). On the 14th go to Nara in the 14th early and spend the night there before going on to Koyasan.

Don't sacrifice your sumo tickets. The busier weekend would be the one after you leave, which is Labor Thanksgiving Day (23rd) weekend.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:56 PM

2 nights in Hakone at an onsen sounds perfect, especially after your Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Koya leg which seems a bit hectic.

Agree about keeping your sumo plans as that is a great experience. If you have a chance, wandering along the riverside and sampling food and drinks at the various yatai at night in Fukuoka is a fun thing to do.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
I can safely say that your definition of the major sights is different than yours! For example, I think just skimming the surface of the highlights of Kyoto / Nara takes something on the order of 6 days -- twice what you are giving it. To each his/her own!

I loved Kanazawa, but think it deserves at least 3 nights, or better, 5 nights in combination with Takayama. JMO.

Enjoy!
Agreed, there's a lot in Kyoto and we could likely stay more than the time allotted. It's her first time so giving her a taste and gauge what she wants to see more the next time we go! It does sound like we will have to do the Kanazawa and Takayama areas next time

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Looks good to me. You will be early for fall colors at the beginning. You will want to visit a popular Shinto shrine on/;about the 15th for Shichi Go San. You could swap Hiroshima and Nara. Go to Hiroshima in the evening/night of the 11th or the morning of the 12th. It is really easy to daytrip to Kyushu Bassho from Hiroshima. There is a special bus from Hakata station to the sumo arena. That is the 11th (maybe), 12th and 13th nights in Hiroshima (though you could go further north after the sumo ends at 6PM). On the 14th go to Nara in the 14th early and spend the night there before going on to Koyasan.

Don't sacrifice your sumo tickets. The busier weekend would be the one after you leave, which is Labor Thanksgiving Day (23rd) weekend.
Thank you, will definitely look into the Shichi Go San on the 15th!

Originally Posted by curiousgeo
2 nights in Hakone at an onsen sounds perfect, especially after your Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Koya leg which seems a bit hectic.

Agree about keeping your sumo plans as that is a great experience. If you have a chance, wandering along the riverside and sampling food and drinks at the various yatai at night in Fukuoka is a fun thing to do.
Yeah that sounds nice, the Koyasan-Hakone leg will be especially rough. Yatai at night sounds perfect!
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Yeah that sounds nice, the Koyasan-Hakone leg will be especially rough. Yatai at night sounds perfect!
Interesting that you mention that as I have been thinking the same thing about Fukuoka (Hakata)-Koyasan. and Hiroshima-Koyasan.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Interesting that you mention that as I have been thinking the same thing about Fukuoka (Hakata)-Koyasan. and Hiroshima-Koyasan.
It's the koyasan-osaka leg that adds 3 hours, might be more feasible to stop for a night in osaka, and then go to koyasan in the morning. We're actually adjusting our schedule a bit now to do that. Also contemplating staying in Hiroshima and day-tripping to fukuoka for the sumo in the afternoon.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:16 AM

If you are going to Koyasan, it is better as an overnight. By that time it will be getting quite cold there, but it is something unique in Japan. The highlight is Okunoin, a cemetery going back over a millenium and still used today. I could have spent all day wandering through it - it was just surreal. But don't make the mistake that I did - I wanted to see it at night as well, but the temple I stayed at had a 9 PM curfew. If I had it to do all over again, I would have picked a different place. Even if you don't go, if you're an urbanite like me, the night sky far from the cities is truly something magnificent, and I would have loved to see that as well.
It would be a shame to go all the way to Fukuoka just for the sumo. The tonkatsu ramen there is quite famous and they are very proud if it, and if you can go visit the Nanzoin Temple (20 minutes by train from Hakata Station) you'll be surprised at one of Japan's most magnificent sights - yet nearly completely unknown to the tourist guidebooks, Japan Guide, and many of the well traveled.

You can get some good savings from a 7 day JR Pass, used Days 12-18. For Koyasan, you can get a World Heritage Ticket.

Also you didn't mention it but you're timing is pretty good for seeing some of the autumn leaves, especially Takao and Hakone. Within Tokyo, the Koishikawa Korakuen Garden is also a great place for the leaves but really beautiful at any time of year and well worth a visit.

To get in from KIX and get around, you might look at getting the Icoca & Haruka discount ticket.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:10 PM
kja

I agree that going to Koyasan makes most sense as an overnight (and hadn't thought you were considering otherwise!). My understanding is that the specific temple at which one stays can make a huge difference. I stayed at Shojoshinin, which still gets excellent reviews. I've also seen some very positive reviews for Ekoin. As Adastra2200 notes, do pay attention to curfews and other information. IMO, Okunoin is an extraordinary place to roam at either dusk or dawn (I'm glad I went both times), and there are, IMO, many other delights to Koyasan. Enjoy!
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Your Nov 19th - I've always done Takao as a daytrip - seems a bit rushed combining with Ghibli (assume you've already got your tickets for the museum)