Go List 2007: Bangkok. Anyone been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These restaurants are listed on Food & Wine magazine's Go list for Bangkok 2007.

Anotai Restaurant
976/17 Rama IX Rd.;
011-66-2-641-5366.
(a vegetarian restaurant)

Bangkok Retro
181 Wangderm Rd., Thonburi;
011-66-2-891-1248
(near the Temple of Dawn)

Savoury Gastrocafé
Siam Paragon Center, 991/1 Rama 1 Rd., Pathumwan;
011-66-2-129-4353

Talad Loong Perm
89 Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd. (behind the building);
no phone
(covered market behind Thai Airways office - supposedly the city's most authentic "hawker" food)

Spring Dining Room

Has anyone on this forum had a chance to visit these restaurants? Any thoughts?

Went to a few on the list for Shanghai and I thought the recommendations were quite good. Curious as to whether anyone has insight on the Bangkok ones?

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM

never heard of any of them but try them and let us know what you think..
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I've heard of the first one, but haven't tried it. I've been a combo of part vegetarian,vegan, and macro since 1976.
If you want a great vegetarian restaurant, then go to Tamarind Cafe at Sukhumvit, soi 20....about 300 meters into the soi on the left side and across from the famous L.A. restauarant called ,"Koi".

You can get off at the Asoke skytrain station and then walk about 20 minutes. The owner is a female, French chef from Lyon, the cook is Hawaiian, they were voted #1, and the food is great. A must to order is their famous vegetarian salisbury steak and mushroom gravy. That is their signature dish. I eat there whenever I'm in town as it's walking distance from my apartment building. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Oh, the restaurant in Paragon could be new. I was at that mall when it first opened a couple of years ago, and they were still building restaurants and shops. I was there with the noise and paint fumes. I've been back a couple of times since and new places are still popping up.

To get to Paragon Mall just take the skytrain to the Siam skytrain stop and you're there. There are walkways that will take you right into the mall. In the basement of the mall is a very nice Sea World type of aquarium. It's amazing what they've done in the basement of a mall and on that land that used to be my old hotel of many years...the Siam Intercontinental.

The entire level above the basement is totally dedicated to food. There's also a split level, on that level, where there's an internet cafe if you need one. There's also a huge food court and tons of restaurants and a super market larger than any I've seen...even larger than our markets here in L.A. Check out the supermarket and all of the different products. It's quite interesting. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guen!

That veg restaurant you recommend will definitely be on my list.

The Paragon definitely sounds like something we will be checking out. I love love love browsing supermarkets of countries I visit.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM

My husband and I ate at at Savoury Gastrocafe on a recent trip to Bangkok (read the same list). We thought the food there was incredible - strange to say given it's at a mall. Had a mushroom appetizer that was particularly delicious. We enjoyed spending a bit of time at Siam Paragon. Air conditioning, great stores (especially if you're into furniture, design), plus it was almost an anti-touristy experience, as everything there is geared to the local population - we got a kick out of the funny credit card promotions and caught part of a Korean teen heartthrob rock concert that was on the front page of the newspaper the next day. There was also a great Thai gelato place at the mall.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM

"We enjoyed spending a bit of time at Siam Paragon. Air conditioning, great stores (especially if you're into furniture, design), plus it was almost an anti-touristy experience, as everything there is geared to the local population."

Really? That's not the same Paragon I've been to.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM

As a follow on you might like to look at this list published in The Guardian today:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...mp;feed=travel

Sirocco is the number one listed.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM

If you want a truly fantastic THAI restaurant try BANKANITA. If you have access to a concierge at the hotel then have him made the reservation. This restaurant is favored by locals, however, do not venture without a reservation as it is always crowded. They should have a menu in English but I was the guest of local Thai and they ordered. A truly wonderful experience.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM

http://www.baan-khanitha.com/

Eaten there many times. Never had a reservation.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM

That is great news...we had just returned from the Honda golf tournament in Pattaya and they only had a table for 4 available.