One Night in Bangkok...

Search

One Night in Bangkok...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Night in Bangkok...

We are going to BKK again for the fourth time this April. We are bringing friends who have never traveled here before. We would like to do a fun and unique dinner somewhere in BKK before we head off to the Maldives.
Places we have been before and liked:
*BedSupper Club
*Face Bar for massages and Thai food
*The China House for Peking duck
*The Peninsula for dinner buffett

can't remeber any others...we often frequent Face Bar 2 times b/c we love the atomosphere and massages

Info on our group... (4)30 somthing adults. Love pretty much any type of food. Don't drink so not really into the bar scene. But love to have fun and try new things. We will be staying at the Peninsula.

What are your suggestions?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM

Hmm... you've hit many of my favorites.

For atmosphere, Mahanaga is hard to beat. I've had one wonderful meal there and one so-so meal there. Look at their seasonal menu to see if you are interested.

A favorite of mine is Lemongrass. Situated in an old teak house, the Thai food is excellent. It's located on the soi near Emporium. It's not as flashy as any of the places you listed or as flashy as Mahanaga.

Another idea would be to go to Harmonique. It's just across the river from you, down a soi near the post office. The food is good, it's cheap and it has a "hole in the wall" sort of atmosphere. It would be a different experience than any of the others listed.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM

I've been told that a "new" place, Kinnerai (sp) on soi 8, Sukhumvit, beats Face... I shall find out soon because I'm headed to BKK this weekend and will stay right down the street from this new place. A friend ate there a couple of times in January and said it is better than Face. I'll try to report back.

Carol
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM

we simply love biscotti in the four seasons hotel....italian...modern, good, open kitchen

harmonique for good thai, but no atmosphere....cheap...new road between sheraton and oriental

lord jim in the oriental

rang mahal in the rembrandt--indian

cy'an in the metropolitan

angenelli in the shangri-la

the thai rest. at penn

jesters at the penn---a good choice
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Carol--I wil be anxious to hear about your new find. WE LOVE Face, but are alays up for new places. Does Kinnerai have the massage component to it like Face? The was the place that when we tell our friends about BKK, we ALWAYS include the oppotunity to have a great massage and dinner all in the same place. Such a novelty, espcially right in the heart of BKK.

Bob/Kathie- I have been dying to try Haromique...we need to get there due to all the reviews we hear. I will look in Jester's and the Thai place at the Penn.

Will check out the menu for Mahanaga.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM

I had dinner at the Thai restaurant at the Peninsula a few weeks ago and while I knew it would be overpriced ($50US for one person with one drink, appetizer and main course) I was not prepared for the mediocrity of the food! The setting is gorgeous but I give it a thumbs down on the plate! I am referring to the Thai restaurant here (begins with a "T&quot, not the dinner buffet.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM

I would say Lord Jim for a gorgeous setting and terrific international food. I also like Lemon grass. Celadon is a very serene lovely setting and the food is well presented but I found it a bit bland.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:47 AM

am in bangkok currently had dinner at tiptara in pen,....very disappointing food so so..haD N LORD JIM..SAME..VERY BAD....oh well u know both places cater to the wester plate..so very bland n tone down...if u want the best thai..hands down baan kannita...best indian outside of bombay n london..rang mahal...the best!!! best vietnamese outside of saigon...thien doung..at the dusit thani hotel..amazing viet cusine....best thai seafood rest...seafood market in sukhumvit amazing...try it all out..got to get back home n go on a diet..just been eating my way in here...
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:41 AM

If your friends haven't been to BKK before, then stopping first before dinner for a drink (you can get some great fruit drinks) and a look at the incredible view and venue at Sirocco is a memorable thing to do. If the sky is clear, and there is a woman and band singing out in the open on a ledge sort of jutting out over the venue, the atmosphere can be a bit hypnotic. Well worth a visit.

We also thought Face was a great spot; very pretty and good food, including an outstanding red duck curry. Have fun.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM

note that harmonique is closed on sundays....

its well worth the trip....make sure to have fried morning glories with garlic and cashew chicken
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM

Harmonique is superb. We go every time we're in BKK. However, it is definitely not deluxe dining. The food is unbelievable, but the service is spotty. If you go, try the Crab with Yellow Curry. It's sublime.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Oooo...Gpanda Crab with yellow curry sounds amazing! There is nothing better than eating Thai food IN Thailand. I do live in quite a multicultural area...but nothing like the real deal!

Tengohambre--Sirrocco sounds like a good idea for the WOW factor. I'm sure they have virgin drinks for folks like us

Carol---any reviews about the new place you found???

Kathie--will check into Lemongrass. Sounds great!