Best Dining in Bangkok?

Search

Best Dining in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Dining in Bangkok?

We love all cuisines----Thai of course but also love frencg, Italian etc.. Any suggestions?
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
China House at the Oriental Hotel--the Peking Duck is heaven

Seafood Market for great seafood and a unique experience
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM

There are many lists of Bangkok restaurants posted here. Just do a search for Bangkok restaurants on the board and you'll find more places to eat than you can imagine!
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Try the Bed Supper Club for a unique dining experience and very unusual but gourmet dishes.
You can good Italian at .... you'll be shocked... Bumrungrad Hospital lobby, 2nd floor. It's an amazingly good place to eat!!
Another good Italian place would be at the Intercontinental Hotel (ChitLom skytrain station) at the street level, front of the hotel. It's called Matteo. We also like Guisco on soi 23 for Italian.
A good Thai place is Vientiene Kitchen. The atmosphere is like a big outdoor hut. There is a bit of entertainment with Thai instruments and Thai dancers.
Bangkok has some great dining places!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM

I would also suggest Bed Supper Club. And I agree with Laurieco about the Peking Duck at China House -- it is fabulous. I also love the new Lord Jim at the Oriental. Fabulous decor now and the food is much now terrific. The lunch buffet is great but so is the dinner.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM

China House - GREAT!
I second the China House at the Oriental Hotel. Thanks to the advice on this forum, the Peking Duck is no exaggeration...tried and tested to be fabulous! The skin is so crispy and with very minimal fat. However, we were informed that they will be closed for renovation for a few months, so you might want to give them a call to check when that is. I think they said June-August.

BISCOTTI@Four Seasons - GOOD
Food is great, although quite pricey for the size of the portions. True as with all gourmet restaurants i.e. the fancier it is, the smaller the portions. But otherwise, the food is good. Will definitely go back again.

BED SUPPER CLUB - Average
We also tried the Bed Supper Club. I think we were unlucky with the main course. It was sword fish which tasted just like Wienerschnitzel. Quality?...NOT! Truly a disappointment. However, the other 3 dishes were good tho. I gave them feedback regarding the disappointing main course, so hopefully, it will never be served again. For us, this is a place to go once and never again. It's just a gimmick, IMHO.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Two thumbs way up for Biscotti. I eat there regularly. happy Travels!
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies so far! Just wanted to know how the restaurants are at the Penn? I don't know---- if the Oriental has such great dining maybe we will stay there instead of the Penn. Also, can you get other foods at the seafood market?? My husband doesnt eat any fish. Where is the market?Is it safe to eat there? WHat is it like? Thank you, my friends
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM

The Peninsula has one excellent outdoor Thai restauant -- I don't know about their other restaurants but others will.

As for the Oriental -- they have wonderful restaurants and they have a lot of them: 1) China House; 2) Lord Jim; 3) Normadie -- french and according to many one of the top restaurants in asia; 4) Verandah -- their casual dining spot where you can eat inside or outside and get anything from a sandwich or hamburger to pad thai to indian food; 5)Riverside buffet -- a large and very good outdoor buffet; 6) Ciao -- outdoor Italian; 7) Sala Rim -- terrific thai buffet lunch-- dinner inside is mediocre food with a dance show. Dinner outside is very good thai food.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM

The Penn's restaurants are great! I can't speak for the Thai restaurant as it's new and wasn't there when I was in BKK last. But Jesters is wonderful. We stay at the Pen when in BKK and have eaten at several of their restaurants. Jesters was one of the best meals I have had anywhere. It's a beautiful place too, very high tech with a two storey glass window looking out onto the river. the food is best described as fusion. The Chinese restaurant at the Pen is fabulous as well. The dim sum lunch is a real bargain and it's delicious. I have to tell you though, we ate the Peking Duck at the Pen's restaurant to compare it with the China House--no comparision, China House wins that one hands down.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:47 PM

By the way, don't worry about the "commute" to the Oriental's restaurants from the Pen--it's a two minute boat ride and the boats leave all the time.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Just came back from a short trip to Bangkok. Two restaurants that I think are a must do:

Blue Elephant (thai cuisine) - in a colonial looking building, with gorgeous deco and service was friendly. Food - excellent!
http://www.blueelephant.com/bangkok/index.html

Sirroco at the Dome (Italian)
The Dome is on the 65th floor of the State Building on Silom Road. Has the most spectacular views of Bangkok at night. Sirroco - excellent Italian restaurant. There is also an open-air bar on a terrace.
http://www.thedomebkk.com/home.asp
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Oops correction - Sirroco is the terrace bar.

Mezzaluna is the Italian Restaruant at Dome.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:11 AM

I thought Sky Bar is the name of the outside bar, Mezzaluna is the inside bar under the dome, and Sirocco is the Italian restaurant...

(I Love Sky Bar!!!)
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:37 AM
CAJ

How does Mezzaluna rank compared to Biscotti? The menu on the website looks great! Is Sirocco (the Meditteranean restaurant at the Dome worth a look?)
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:40 AM

I'm planning another trip to BKK next week my 4th!
I left Sirocco out becasue of the mixed reviews, not everyone had a good experience and the wind apparently turns the food cold quickly.
Oriental hotel Le Normandie does a wonderful set lunch (prix fix) for 850BHT ++ that's USD$ 30 all in, not a bad deal for the top french restaurant in the country.
I will be trying the new D'Sens at the Dusit Thani, a new restaurant opened by 2 michelin star chefs. Tell you guys about it when I return.
http://www.wallpaper.com/restaurants/330
Also I will be paying C'yan at Metropolitan a visit once again, their tasting menu at USD 60 without wine is well worth the excellent first rate food.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:43 AM

If you go to this site you will see some awesome photos of Sky Bar and Sirocco.
http://www.blissim.com/weblogpix/tri...iland/sky_bar/

Sorry it's a long one. Just copy and paste and ENJOY the view!! (Wish these were my photos... I've got a few from up here, but not this good)
Carol
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM

OK, I'm at a different computer and I tried my "link" on the previous post. It didn't work...!!! But, if you do a google search for sky bar bangkok, the first link is the photos. They really are gorgeous!! Hope you'll try.

And Bob... I hope you remember to visit this place while in BKK now.

Carol
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:16 AM

kilofoxtrot: i went to the sky bar this past april, but i sat in the sirroco dining area. the wind blew out the candle at least 5 times in 45 min. you are absolutely correct, your food will be cold in 15 min.

however, do go there, as the view is fantastic, and good jazz. i would go again, but this time, stand at the sky bar.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM

The dim sum at the Penn is really fabulous and a great bargain given that you are dining at a 5 star hotel.
We looked at China House- and found the prices to be way too high- great food as others have said- no doubt- just be aware of the pricing and if that is not an issue then go and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -