Gardens of Kyoto

Apr 25th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Gardens of Kyoto

We are returning to beautiful Kyoto, the first week in June.

Sadly, the last time we were there we didn't get to see too many gardens as we were ill.

Here's the ones we've seen : Ryoan-ji, Shugaku-in, Sento Gosho, and Katsura.

This time, we are trying to see some we haven't yet seen, and there are so many, we are having trouble picking which ones are "unmissable" and which are not.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which in the following list should not be missed, or alternatively, ones that we shouldn't worry about?

Kinkaku-ji, Tenryu-ji, Daitoku-ji, Shisen-do, Ginkaku-ji, Kiyomizu-dera, Saiho-ji, Nanzen-ji, Hojo, Konchi-in, Heian Jingu, Shoren-in, Murin-an.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM

We thought the garden adjacent to the Heian Shrine was amazing.
May 2nd, 2004, 01:54 PM

I don't know the formal name, but there's a "moss garden" connected with a temple. We wanted to see it but apparently you have to get permission a few weeks in advance?

We noticed a garden as we pulled into Kyoto coming from Tokyo on the shinkansen. So we walked down that way and found it - apparently it was an old railroad yard that was rehabilitated and made into a beautiful stunning garden. Entry fee (of course) was not very much, and they had a beautiful timber frame building for meals and drinks. Very lovely.
May 7th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, for your responses. We've been doing some more reading and will be sure & followup your suggestions. Thanks again.
May 7th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I really enjoyed Shoren-in, and it was less touristy than other temples in that area. The grounds are just beautiful and the temple itself is in the style of an imperial villa. There are also some really huge camphor trees in the front of the temple that are quite impressive.
May 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM

i agree, the gardens of shoren-in are worth a visit, as are the rock gardens of nanzen-ji. kinkaku-ji is the most famous temple in japan, so you should definitely stop by and check it out. there's also an old temple complex near kinkaku-ji that i visited and it's full of the most beautiful gardens i've ever seen. i randomly stumbled upon it, and i'm not really sure what it's called, but i *think* it's myoshin-ji.

however, my favourite spot from those you have listed is kiyomizu-dera. it's a fabulous old temple complex that cannot be missed. i don't think most people don't visit kiyomizu for its gardens, though, but for the impressive architecture of the temple. an added bonus-- it's located near lots of other temples, shrines and gardens (heian-jingu, maruyama-koen, shoren-in and nanzen-ji are within EASY walking distance) so it'd be easy to pack a lot into one day.
May 7th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Airlawgirl

Saihoji the "moss temple" is amazing. Also, sanjusangendo-where the hundreds of buddhas are arranged on bleachers, in a originally existing wooden temple.

May 8th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone. I'll definitely print these responses out, and take them with me. Cheers