Your two favorites in Tokyo & Kyoto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2017, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends are going to Tokyo & Kyoto next week. I told them some of my favorite places and things to do, but wanted to give them other ideas.

What are a couple of your favorites in these two cities? Hotels, restaurants, sights, events, tips etc.

Tokyo:
1. Wandering Yanaka neighborhood
2. Eating in the little neighborhood behind the B Hotel Roppongi. There are a ton of tiny hole-in-the-wall spots. I had the best Okonomiyaki in an no name (at least in Romaji) spot here!

Kyoto
1. Sumida Ryokan
2. Nishiki Street food market
3. Firefly festival at one of the temples here
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 05:42 PM

Tokyo:
1. Looking at stationery supplies and pottery in the Ginza department stores.
2. Boat ride over to Odaiba.

Kyoto:
1. Day trip to Nara.
2. Tour of the imperial gardens.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 05:47 PM

Great choices lcuy, I like your travel style!

Tokyo:
1) Meguro river walk. My wife and I did this one afternoon after visiting Daikanyama. It was a sunny day walking under the trees along the river, very quiet and we passed a few joggers and bicyclists but were otherwise alone. This just two stops from the famous Shibuya crossing, what a contrast!

2) Having a 1,000 yen ($9) sashimi lunch teishoku at a small diner specializing in seafood a block from the Naka Meguro station, thick slices of fresh fish with miso soup, salad, rice and pickles.

Kyoto:
1) Walking the Philosopher's Path down to Nanzenji after a delicious udon lunch at Omen, a block away from Ginkakuji.

2) Sitting at the counter of a restaurant specializing in obanzai ryori, home style Kyoto cooking that uses fresh, seasonal ingredients while drinking beer and sake.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 01:24 AM

Kyoto:
For accommodation, we loved our experience in Shiraume ryokan, a historical ryokan run by 7th generation and right in the heart of Gion, was once a tea house before becoming an inn.

For western hotels, we did like the location of the Granvia (which we did for 3 nights on the same trip as 2 nights in Shiraume), it's easy for using the trains and metro to get around not only within Kyoto but to nearby places. Rooms are bland, we didn't eat any meals there as seemed overpriced.

For western hotels, our last two trips we've stayed in Kyoto Royal Hotel & Spa, not the grandest, nor most elegantly decorated rooms, but spacious and the location cannot be beat for us.

Kyoto sights / activities:
I can't pick just two!
Loved Nishiki market even though it's crazy busy.
Loved the tiniest temples and shrines, the ones tucked into commercial districts such as those within shopping arcades near Nishiki.
Loved Yasui Konpira-gu Shrine, one we stumbled across when walking between two of the ones highlighted in the tourist guides, found this one more interesting!
Loved many of our foodie experiences within the city.
Loved meandering around the flea market at Toji Temple.
Loved
You can find all my blogposts on Kyoto here: http://www.kaveyeats.com/place/Kyoto
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 01:31 AM

Oops, lost one there, that last one was meant to be "Loved our half day trip to Yamazaki to visit the whisky distillery"
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 08:26 AM

Will be cold next week tell them take warm clothes

Although we love the parks in both cities this time of year they will be bare. The river-fronts of Tokyo and boats will be freezing so if they want to do those dress appropriately.

Tokyo:

Meiji Jingu
Nishi-Shinjku for shopping eating
Shinjuku station area for shopping eating and sightseeing
Gonpachi Restaurant Nishi-Azabu (we had dinner there with you and Milt once along with others)

Kyoto:

Nijo-jo
Kyoto station and underground for shopping and eating
Arashiyama for lunch and Tenryuji Temple and garden. The garden here is picturesque even in the bare winter.
Katsura Imperial Villa
Higashiyama district
Gion at night
So many places to eat you really can't go wrong

Aloha!
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 08:50 AM

Kyoto:

1. Fushimi Inari. I hiked it in a list drizzle and it made a magical, spiritual site all that much more so.
2. <tie> between Kinkaku-ji and Kiyomizu dera.

Tokyo:
1. Shopping along Kappabashi dori for knives, plates and bowls and other fun kitchen items for the home cook.
2. Sushi breakfast at Sushi-daiwa.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

I just realized that I misspelled my fav ryokan in Kyoto. It was/is Sumiya Ryokan.

I recently read that Kyomizu dera will be closed for a while for major renovations, but I know my friends will hit Kinkakuji. Even if the weather doesn't cooperate, I love how there are always school kids taking "surveys" for school projects there!

HT, thanks for mentioning Gonpachi Restaurant. I couldn't remember the name, but that was a fun dinner spot!
Does anyone remember how long it takes to get to Arashiyama?

Kavey I'll forward your blog to them. Will also save the info on the whisky distillery for me.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

curiousgeo, you don't remember the name o the diner near Naka Meguro, do you?
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:47 PM

Depends on which mode of transport you take but Arashiyama is the northern suburb of Kyoto so real close. When we were with the Kimball's we opted for the taxi from our house we had rented and only took maybe 15 minutes tops.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

Aloha!
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 08:50 PM

lcuy, Uotsune, about a block and a half from the station. Everything was in Japanese, I don't recall anything in English. No English spoken by the staff that I could tell either. Filled with local workers at lunch, quick service to move customers. This is the dish I had:

https://uds.gnst.jp/rest/img/7y5uu2rp0000/s_001h.jpg
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 11:50 PM

Lcuy, At the whisky distillery the tour is free - when we went you just had to get in touch a day or two ahead to let them know you wanted to do the tour at x time. It's in Japanese but they had audio guides for those of us who didn't speak Japanese, and the guide let us know which number to press where. After, there's a tasting in a huge tasting room, of three whiskies, they are served with soda so we made a point to specifically ask for ours neat and no ice. Afterwards, you must take time to go to the whisky library, where you can not only taste a wider range of their whiskies for small fees but for some blends, taste the individual elements that go into the blend (which are obviously not for sale) as well as the blend itself, which is fascinating.
Here: https://www.petedrinks.com/2012/11/w...stillery-tour/
https://www.petedrinks.com/2012/11/w...hisky-library/
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 09:24 PM
mjs

Tokyo:
Ahkihabara: Wondering around all the electronic stores, especially the specialty shops
Isetan Department store food floor
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:31 AM

i'm wondering what peter-japan will have in store for us on this trip??
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 01:54 PM

ahhhh rhkkmk you are using peter-japan as your personal japan guide how fortunate. we have used his services many times on our previous 16 trips to japan. be careful as he tends to drink too much and then overcharges you for his daily stipend but other than that he was a top notch guide. well there was that time when he took us on the wrong train but live and learn haha.
all in all he is worth his extra weight in gold
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 06:27 PM

btw, where are you folks going this year and when? If you don't mind sharing...I'll be going to Hokkaido for the first time after Golden Week....
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Hi Mara we land at HND on 4/22 and leave 5/7 so we will there during Golden Week haha. Bob and Karen will leave to Hokkaido and onwards via ship so maybe you can meet up with them while the ship stops on Hokkaido. I don't recall their itinerary but sure Bob will chime in. We will go to Hakone for a leisurely four nights then on to Nikko for the same with rental car there so we will drive around the countryside a bit. We then head back into Tokyo as the flow is leaving town to stay at the hotel in Shinjuku that we met you at. What are your Hokkaido plans? I know you don't want to drive but really a great way to see more of the place. Sorry Lucy for hijacking your thread

Aloha!
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Yes, sorry, Lcuy - I guess your friends are in Japan now enjoying themselves!

ht - I fly from ITM to Hakodate - basic route is Hakodate, Toyako, Sapporo, Shiretoko Shari, Kushiro and back to Sapporo where I fly back to ITM/KIX....10 or 11 nights...

Right, I won't drive and will travel via train for the most part. Am a little early for the famous flower spots....

I'll be in Kyoto when you are in Japan. I've been in Japan during GW - in the cities it's not that bad imo....
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Actually, my friends leave on Wednesday, and were really happy to receive this list.

Actually, I got inspired by this list, too. We're going to Japan in late March, and had originally planned to go further north in hopes of catching the end of the plum blossoms. The other day I read that the sakura may hit Tokyo around March 23, so I think we'll aim for that instead.

I think we'll split 6 days between Tokyo and possibly Kyoto. Our daughter and her new husband will be coming with us. He has never been to Japan, and we'd like to show him some of our old favorites. Plus these tips reminded me that there are lots of things we haven't done in these cities!
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 05:16 AM

In Tokyo, I really like Namjatown in Sunshine City Ikebukuro. Sunshine City is a multi-skyscraper complex with an aquarium, planetarium, zoo, shopping mall, a 60th floor observationd deck, and Namajatown, an indoor theme park. It is quite a site, visually stunning I think, and it contains two areas to eat: Gyoza Stadium, and Dessert Republic. Gyoza Stadium is a recreation of a Showa period street scene that features aobut a dozen famous gyoza vendors from around Japan. If you can find the shredded garlic gyoza, try those. At Dessert Republic you should try the Japanese flavors of ice cream like wasabi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -