Swimming in China

Search

Swimming in China

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swimming in China

I am trying to put together a first visit to China in July August 2004 for our family including two daughters of 17 and 21.We are freelancing and looking at Beijing and Shanghai and possibly other stops between.
Can anyone tell me if there are swimming beaches in Shanghai? Can't seem to find reference to this in the guide book?
With thanks
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

It seems as if someone has responded to my query but I can't find the reply. Would you be so kind as to post again.
Thamk you
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:07 AM

(Not a repeat of an earlier posting, if there was one rather than a software glitch.)

Swimming in rivers and seas in China really isn't an option for visitors. Human waste is still widely used in agriculture, and where it's being replaced with modern chemicals there's considerable run off into rivers and streams, which are anyway the recipients of vast quantities of raw sewage from towns and cities, chemical waste from paper mills and other industry, and detritus of all kinds.

Although there have been big improvements over the last few years in certain areas, in general China remains an extraordinarily insanitary country, and the thought of swimming wouldn't usually cross visitors' minds, save perhaps at Hainan (still dubious), and certain beaches on smaller outer islands in Hong Kong, whose bacteria levels are monitored.

Hence no reference in guide books to an activity which would be very likely to make you ill.

Peter N-H
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:12 PM

However, some of the hotels have the most fabulous pools I have ever swam in. The Palace Hotel in Beijing has a pool up on the roof in a green house and you are protected and yet can see the sky. Also somewhere else I swam alone in a pool that was worth of something from San Simeon.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses.Swimming in the sea is an important part of a holiday for me. Even though I live on an island surrounded by many beaches ,sea swimming makes me feel I've been on holiday.I had no idea that this was not done in China and probably would not have found out without this board.
We are still trying to decide whether to take this trip at this time. After about two months of picking up the guide book from time to time I finally camr to the conclusion yesterday that I wanted to give it a go but having told my husband this he's not in a hurry to make up his mind and I have a suspicion he may not want to go!
Thanks to you
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:24 AM

I am Chinese and although I agree many lakes are very polluted I wouldn't say swimming should be ruled out for your china holiday. Plenty of people go swimming on the eastern coast, although I would tell you don't waste time swimming if this is your first time in China. You can find some nice beaches in Hainan but there is really too much to see in Beijing/Xi'an/ Hangzhou..etc..

Also, July is getting very hot in Beijing. I would recommend before June and after August if you want to tour in relative comfort.

If you love beaches go to S.E. Asia!