Search

Four days in China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four days in China

Hi Everyone,

I just found out my husband and I will be going to the Olympics in Beijing for 4 days. We'd like to take another 4-5 days to do some sightseeing, then return to the U.S. from Beijing.

This is our first visit to China and we have a lot to learn. Can you recommend threads on this forum which cover the "must sees"?

Any suggestions regarding possible itineraries are welcome. China is so vast we hardly know where to begin. We don't want to rough it,rush from place to place, or spend half our time in transit. Where would you go?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Do you have tickets to the Olympics for all of the 4 days? If so, then spend the other 4-5 days in Beijing so you don't rough or rush it. Do a search on this forum and many threads will come up with recommendations, also read Destinations - Beijing and browse Fodor's travel book on Beijing. If you are not going back to China soon, perhaps add an overnight trip to Xian.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM

specs -- too jet lagged to remember if e-mail addresses were exchanged at the 11/10/07 GTG but I don't have yours. ET, Faina, Paula and LindaL have mine, I give them permission to forward it to you if they have yours.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with Shanghainese there is more than enough to do in/around Beijing for four days. But, where will your four days fall in the Olympic period? If it's at the end, I might consider an overnight in Xi'an to let the crowds in Beijing thin out.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM

For information on things to do in Beijing (both the usual stuff and off the "so called beaten track&quot you can check out my blog at hhtp://travel.chinafinds.com

There is tons to see and do in Beijing...both old / historic sites as well as other interesting places.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Have forwarded specs email to you, Shanghainese. Please check your email.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I need to check out the Beijing info here and get to the bookstore pronto.

I hope we'll be able to get a room for an extra 4 days in Beijing. I've never used a travel agent. Do you think an agent's clout might help?

Guenovnd's blog has me thinking about air pollution and also raises the question: Are there any non-smoking rooms or areas in Beijing?

ET, thanks for forwarding my email address. I want to come to the March GTG. Which forum has the info?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Other than 5* international chain hotels, I doubt you'll find any real non-smoking rooms in China. They may say it's non-smoking, but that doesn't stop the clients to smoke. All the hotels' main effort is just to discourage people from smoking ON THEIR BED. And that's a difficult enough problem.

If you get a smokey room, just ask to change until you find one that's acceptable. Sometimes they can also spray a lot of freshener to hide the smell.

Around Olympics time, you better get all your hotels lined up ASAP. You may be running very very late by now.

If you want a 2-3 day trip outside Beijing, you can consider Chengde to the NE. Or go to Datong in Shanxi province to the west. Those are alternatives to flying to Xian or elsewhere.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM

specs: look for a new listing on the US forum. Hope this one doesn't go to 400+ posts!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM

oops! hit "post" too soon!

Check for a hotel under venere.com

It's a popular site over on the Europe board.

Click "Other countries" and just continue till you get the hotels for China.

I found a couple for August 12-17 (just made up the dates).

Also try tripadvisor.com and see what rates you can come up with on Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Maybe others can suggest better websites. Hope so!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I have used [email protected] for non Shanghai hotels and got good rates. I am not sure if you can get to Shanghai if you have only 4 extra days and probably need to leave from Beijing.

For the 3/8/08 GTG, click on my name and scroll down to it, I believe it's on the Lounge, not on US - California.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM

If you're having trouble getting a room at the hotel, you might want to consider living with a local family. A co-worker of mine will be living with a Chinese lady in her 3-bedroom apartment. And if you're interested I could get you the contact of the family I stayed with on my homestay program.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've done home stays in Europe. Unfortunately, my husband is way too finicky for this type of thing.

We just bought 2 books on Beijing and the DK Eyewitness China. Homework time!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM

ET -- I didn't get specs' e-mail address and have sent you mine, could you forward it again? Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM

specs -- just checking in, are you all set to go?