First Trip to China - don't know where to start

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is heading to China for work and I am hoping to have the opportunity (and $$$) to go along. His destination for work is Shanghai for approx 2-3 weeks. After some initial research on fodors, I am hoping that we can fly into Beijing and spend a few days there before taking the overnight train to Shanghai. I will probably stay in Shanghai with him for 3-4 days before flying home by myself from there (I have limited vacation time available). I don't know enough to have specific questions yet, so I guess my question is... Where do I start with my research? Do you have suggestions for guide books, etc. that would be helpful? We don't know yet when we will be travelling as my husband's work is still trying to figure out those details. Suggestions for a hotel in Beijing? Something nice/safe, but affordable as we would be footing the bill for that portion of the trip ourselves. Knowing that I have about 10 days to work with (including travel), how much time do you recommend staying in Beijing before heading to Shanghai? Thanks in advance for helping me get a start!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM

It is an overwhelming task, isn't it? I leave for my first trip in two weeks and am going to Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an and Tong Li. And I am <i>still</i> firming up the "to-do's".

Our plane tickets were the starting point. We are flying into Shanghai and out of Beijing. From there, I researched day trips from each.

Go to your library or book store and check out the Fodor's <u>See-It China</u>. That gave me a sense of the sites and where I wanted to focus our time. (You cannot see everything in your one trip.) Then, look at the destinations for each city to decide what are your "must see" sites and that will determine how much time in each city. <u>Eyewitness Travel Guide</u> for Beijing & Shanghai was helpful for me as well. Once you get into hotels I use Fodor's and Tripadvisor to narrow down choices. And, of course, the forums here and on tripadvisor, too.

For me, I decide what I want to see and how many days before I start to look for hotels.

There are many threads here for Shanghai, Beijing and day trips from each. Put the city names in the search box and then look for the threads that offer the info that you are looking for. Type in "bookmarking" as a reply and then you can find it easily under your screen name to refer back to for your trip planning.

For train travel, this is a good starting point:
http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

You say you have 10 days including travel? How many days to you actually have in China?

Enjoy your planning!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM

My suggestion is go to China trip reports here on Fodors. There are some excellent ones which will give you good ideas.

I stayed at Red Lantern House which was very lovely and inexpensive.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

BeachGirl - Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will have 6-7 full days in China.

Nywoman - I'll check out Red Lantern House. Do they have a website?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Plan 4 days in Beijing and 3 days in Shanghai, as Nywoman said, read the China TRs here and you will get a good idea of what to do in those 7 days.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Dougieshoney and BG 247: 4 days BJ & 3 Shanghai above is good. Have lived in China 10 years. 1st to ease your mind a bit, China is probably much "safer" than you believe. Always feel safer here than most any place at home. That said, don't be stupid and set your purse down at the airport and go to the restroom. Airports and train stations attract the small number of people who will "petty theft you." But for physical harm your greatest risk in China is getting hit crossing the street. Seriously.
Beijing - you must see the Great Wall - strongly suggest you go to Mutianyu since it's not the overcrowded, over-touristy Gt Wall that you find at Badaling. Take cable car up, ride the toboggan down (is safe and slow enough). Forbidden City is fine. Don't plan much time at Tiananmen if you even bother - it's a big open square - every guest we take there is "definitely underwelmed". Don't go look at the art shown by the "art students" who will stop you there. It's a gimmick. Summer Palace is OK. I love to recommend Tian Tan (Temple of Heaven). It's a large public park. Of course look at the temple bits, but between the East Gate of the park and the three-tiered roofed building is a great place to watch lots of "real Beijing people". They gather to sing old folk songs, dance, do tai chi, play cards, knit, exercise. Sat adn Sunday mornings are best. It's good fun and you see some real people, not just people associated with tourists.
Across the street to the east of the Temple of Heaven Park is Hong Qiao (Pearl Market). It's same as Silk Market and Ya Xiu (aka Ya Show). Multi-story markets selling lots of "stuff" of interest to visiting tourists. Good places to find things to bring back as gifts. Buy more than you think you need. If you count 15 people who need gifts, bring 25. They are cheap and make wonderful gifts for people when they don't expect something. Negotiate hard - but always stay friendly.
Try to remember if you pay too much for something you weren't "cheated". You just paid too much voluntarily and out of your own ignorance. That's the way the system works. (Still happens to me after 10 years, but not as often ) If they think you will pay 50 they may tell you it's 250 and let you negotiate them down (they are "suffering" all the way and you are just "killing" them). If you happen to stop at 125, then they are VERY happy - and perhaps you are happy too. Negotiating is hard for us; it's a way of life for them. Negotiate, but do so in a friendly and good-natured manner. You can often get an idea of what the price is by walking away. That often drops the price very quickly. People everywhere understand rude and angry behavior. It's not necessary and it represents us in a bad light. Try to remember you are an on the ground ambassador, your behavior is judged and categorized first by your nationality. If you are negotiating and offer a price and they agree to meet it, you have made your commitment and really should buy. Don't start to haggle if you aren't going prepared to buy something. It's wastes their time and may cost them a sale. These people don't have much and can't afford to lose sales. Times are difficult now.
Lama Temple (Yonghegong) is great too. A very old, large, peaceful and active urban Tibetan Buddhist temple with people praying and which is also tourist friendly. Hour and a half is sufficient. Centrally located.
Have written too much. If you want more advice or have questions, I am happy to answer. Fred.smid at contractor dot conocophillips dot com.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM

A little more posted on 30 July in the forum entitled:
Beijing Advice - expert advice appreciated.

Forgot to mention hutongs - easy to see around Houhai Lake, a bit touristy, but a stroll around the lake is quite a good place to people watch.
Forgot a nice Beijing treat on hot summer days. At little shops/kiosks where they sell water and Diet Cokes - and Lay's chips - you may see 5" tall, large-mouthed, gray ceramic bottles with a white cap and a straw out the top. They are a cool, thick yoghurt drink; a little sweet, but definitely nice and refreshing on a hot day. Have to drink it there and give the bottle back.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Fred, thank you so much for your advice. You did not write too much!

When purchasing items at kiosks/shops do we need to carry a calculator around with us for them to put in prices since we don't speak Mandarin?
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM

You could start right here. Click on "Destinations," which is right next to "Forums" on the top of this page. Then click on Asia on the map. You will find a list of cities. Select either Beijing or Shanghai and you will find Fodors recommendations for hotels, restaurants, sights, shopping and travel tips.

You could also go to a library or book store and read and look at photos and decide what you would want to do and see.

If someone recommends a hotel, you can google to find the web site and possibly travelers reviews.

Have fun researching.