Flying to Tokyo from US east coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to help my niece plan a trip to Tokyo for April. She is 55 (only 6 years younger than I) somewhat overweight and not in the best of health. In case you are wondering, this would not be a vacation. She is going to visit her daughter, son-in-law and their new baby. The baby has some health problems and may need surgery so she wants to be with her daughter for that.

She would be flying from Greenville-Spartanburg, SC or CLT or ATL to Tokyo. My question is would it be better for her (more comfortable, less tiring) to fly non-stop (Delta has a flight from Atlanta - 14.5 hours going, 12.5 returning) or to break up the trip, perhaps with an overnight somewhere each way? If the latter, where? San Francisco? Honolulu? Of course this would cost more, but perhaps it would be worth it. She cannot afford business or first class. So what are her best options for economy? Are some airlines more comfortable than others? It seems that other than the Delta direct flight, she might fly Continental, United or Northwest.

I have flown to Europe many times but have no experience with flying the other way and certainly not with 12-14 hour flights. Can you help me help my niece?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Fewer stops the better. If she can fly out from ATL, then take DL.

If she prefers to fly out form GSP or CLT, then connect via Chicago (AA, UA), Newark (CO), Detroit (NW) or Washington Dulles (UA, ANA) will give her the least flying time. Connecting via the West Coast, or worse, HNL, will add significantly to total travel time, because the shortest route is over Canada and southern Alaska.

If she's willing to pay more, ANA has premium economy with more room (wider seats, more recline, more legroom), from Washington Dulles. UA has something called Economy Plus that's just economy with more legroom.

AA, JAL and ANA also flies from JFK, but there's relatively poor connection from GSP or CLT in general. But maybe worth a look. CO also flies from Houston, and AA from Dallas, but both will add to total flying time over EWR, ORD, DTW or IAD.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
emd

This may sound like a weird thing to ask, but is your niece's birthday by any chance in April? If so, see below.

I ask because I joined ANA's FF club last year (you do not have to have flown on ANA to do so) and I have just recd. an email offering me birthday fares from the U.S. to Japan on ANA during the month of my birthday, March. Really really low fares from NYC, L.A., S.F., D.C., Chicago, or Honolulu to Tokyo, Osaka, or Nagoya. Low as in $550 RT from Chicago, $450 RT from LA, $630 from D.C.

Aside from deals like that, which are few and far btwn in April as it is a popular month for going to Japan (cherry blossoms and pretty good weather), I would recommend a nonstop flight. I have done both nonstop and 1 U.S. stop RT to Tokyo, and the nonstop is much better for me. Retrieving luggage and going through customs in the returning U.S. City after 12-13 hrs on a plane, then having to wait for connecting flight to get home = huge bummer.

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan and emd. I should have realized that the shortest route would be "over the top" rather than parallel to the equator! I'll check out all those possible airlines, but it sounds like the Delta non-stop might be the "least awful." I find it hard to sit in the same seat for 8-9 hours, much less 12-14!

That birthday deal does sound great,emd. Unfortunately my niece was born in September.

Any other thoughts?