Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Flights to Tokyo from New York-- Is $1000 a good price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm investigating a solo trip to Japan for this October or November. Looking at travelocity's flexible dates, I found a flight on Continental for $1000. The only flights cheaper were on Nappon Airways (has anyone flown Nappon out there?). I'm wondering if I can expect for prices to go lower. Any advice?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:41 AM
emd

Do you mean to say All Nippon instead of Nappon?

Where are you flying from? ANd where do you want to fly to in Japan, what airport?

I think you have some time to wait and see if prices go down. Some airlines have fall fare specials to Japan. I looked into going last fall and Oct. was better fare than Nov.- I assumed because of the fall folliage which makes Japan popular in November.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I did mean All Nippon---thanks for the correction.
I was hoping to fly into Tokyo.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM

All Nippon is fine. If you don't care about Continental (or other Skyteam) FF miles, you should go with ANA. Better entertainment system, free drinks, most likely better food. You may earn FF miles on UA, US or other Star Alliance FF programs.

As for the fare, with the current oil prices and high load factors, $1,000 isn't too bad. It may come down a little to about $850-900, it may not. But since you're somewhat flexible, I agree with emd that you can wait a little and see if the prices move.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM
emd

ANA (All Nippon) may have special planes that fly from JFK to Natira- I'd find that out. I flew DC (Dulles) to Narita on ANA in coach in April and the seats were very very uncomfortable-- narrow and hard and very little padding and leg room. I didn't care much about the video screens on the back of the seats because I was so uncomfortable in the seat.

I flew NWA last year (on Continental FF points) and it was much more comfortable. Seat comfort is important on a long flight like that.

I'll fly ANA again because it goes nonstop from Dulles to Narita, but only if I fly business class.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM

JFK is on their new 777-300ER, and IAD is on an older 777-200ER. According to seatguru.com, the 773 actually has one fewer inch in pitch. (31" vs 32"; CO's 777 is only 31&quot

No idea what seats they use on the 773, but if they're like the ones on AF's 773, then they should be great - the seat cushion slides forward when you recline.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM

With the advice form others on this forum I waited and luckes out with a great sale and we paid 638.00.
It was abut $1000 when I started looking 5 months ahead of time and went down steadily to about $800 until the big sale.
It's kind of nerve racking waiting, but I would wait a little while yet. I ended up saving over $350 per ticket by waiting.

We flew coach class and all American international flights are 777's (HUGE). I was able to choose our seats so had an empty one next to me both ways. They did not charge for drinks, and there were 2 meals on the flight. They had the video's on the back of the seat in front of you. I was much more comfortable than I expected to be (but then I am only 5'3&quot.
So I'd check American for sales over the next couple of months. This is the second big sale this year.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Generally you are going to pay too much for an overseas flight on Travelocity, etc. Its best if you call a Thai travel agent. They have been pretty honest and reasonable in my experience here in DC. I've never seen such pricey tickets to Thailand as I have with internet sites. They make you think you're getting a great deal until they drop the tax bomb on you. Good luck!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM
mjs

Special sale on Singapore for selected flights from LAX to NRT late June to early July with returns in July on selected dates. Cost is $399 RT plus tax. Will not help you for October/November which is a better time to go, but I just thought I would post this.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM

I see the fares at travelocity for JFK-NRT in November are $910+ on ANA and JAL. Fares for AA, CO, etc are $30 to $50 higher.

I selected the ANA fare and chose the nonsops (Nov 9-16) and it priced out at $1119.60 with taxes. Below that it showed lower fare options: $1011.20 on AA, CO, and UA (travelocity showed higher base fares for these carriers than ANA or JAL).

You should be able to do better later.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM

While checking the web, pick up the phone, too. We fly our parents out from Newark once a year & evreytime have found the best price RT through JTB (Japan Tourist Bureau).

They have an office in NYC, contact info is at the link below:

http://www.jtb.co.jp/sunrisetour/08_branches.html

One tip - if you have a bit of free time, call around. We actually found a better price through the Chicago branch than through the NY one once... they even admit on their site that prices vary, but they have beat the web listings everytime.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Hi Fraggle,

We just flew roundtrip on Singapore Airlines from SLC/LAX/NRT. Loved this airline. From my nine-year-old to their grandmother, the five of us were well fed, entertained with movies, music, video games of our choice on the individual seat screens. The service was excellent before and during the flights. You can book directly, or like us. We booked through Gateway LAX Travel where I found the very best prices out there. We had a connection, so it was beter priced to go with them. I checked at least ten different websites, consolidators, individual airlines, etc. They worked well for us, and didn't mind working with me on other aspects of our trip, i.e. side trips, Nozomi tickets, etc. I looked for six months prior to our trip and booked three months ahead. The prices never came down from when I booked, and if I had waited, the flights would have been full and more expensive, so I was happy... www.gatewaylax.com