jfk-tokyo-bangkok-jfk flight question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am planning on flying from JFK on December 17th to Tokyo, then on December 27th flying from Tokyo to Bangkok, and on January 12th flying from Bangkok back to JFK. I have found a price of $1512 for this itinerary on Japan Airlines. Question: is this a good price, or should I hold out for something better to come along?

Also American Airlines has a price of around $1900, but I would get to rack up lots of frequent flyer miles. On the downside though, the tokyo-bangkok leg would take 13 hours for some reason. How does Japan Airlines measure up to American Airlines?

Finally does it make sense for me to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka? The price is the same for Japan Airlines. My Japan itinerary is 4 nights in Tokyo, 3 nights in Kyoto, and 2 nights in the countryside somewhere, hopefully near a hot spring.

thanks for any help, jeffrey
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I just plugged in your dates using Orbitz, which I use quite often as they generally have good prices, and it came back with a total price of $1541 total, using ANA (via United), so I'd say if your price of $1512 includes all taxes and fees, it's a good price. I've never flown JAL but have heard they are a very good airline. I would always opt for an Asian carrier over a US carrier if the price is somewhat equal. We flew American to Tokyo last year and it's pretty horrible. Not too comfortable and the service stinks. They don't even give you free drinks in economy anymore. Also, when you have a problem with a flight using American, good luck! The agents at the airports don't want to hear about it and will make any excuse to say you are not entitled to anything, even when the problem is clearly AA's fault. I would not pay almost $400 more for AA, even if they offered bonus miles, and certainly not for just the base miles. Of course, if you are flying business or first, you may be treated better but if you are flying economy, stick to an Asian airline.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Japan Air is MUCH better than American and it is also linked to American's ff program so you will still be able to get your miles.

ANA is also a very good airline. Bottom line -- the asian airlines provide a much better experience than the asian carriers.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Most discount fares on JL earn 70% AAdvantage miles. The difference of several thousand miles is definitely not worth the extra $400.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Japan Airlines is a good option. Especially because I can fly into Tokyo and fly out of Osaka for about the same total price ($1518).

I did just see a price of $1279 on Delta, though the dates would be slightly different. 12/17 JFK to Tokyo (via Atlanta, which adds 4 hours travel time), 12/28 Tokyo to Bangkok (no Osaka option), and 1:00 am flight on 1/14 out of Bangkok.

The Delta flight is over $200 cheaper, but it sounds like Japan Airlines may be a better flying experience, and the extra 4 hours en route to Tokyo would be painful, and there is the convenience of not having to hile back to Narita when leaving Japan. Any thoughts?

Should I hold out for a cheaper fare? Or is $1500 a good price for the holidays?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Go with Japan. The difference in flight time and quality of the airline is definitely worth the money.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:48 AM
sandi

alibi -

13 hours from NRT/BKK (it takes 12-hrs from JFK/NRT) - this should be a 6-hr flight. I'd certainly find out why 13 and if you're stopping somewhere?