Flying to India from East Coast US

Dec 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Flying to India from East Coast US

Does anyone have a recommendation re: what airlines to search for good fares to India? It looks like I need to fly to Cochin, but is there some other major airport that I would fly to first and then get an internal flight to Cochin? When I search for flights to Cochin, I am unable to find flights (I just assumed I could get an entire flight itinerary from one website, but now I am thinking I may need a bit more guidance on this.) Lastly, are there any airlines that occasionally offer special fares to India?
Dec 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Cochin is in the southern part of India, so my guess is that the closest international airport would be the on in chennai. You have to get to Cochin either from chennai or Mumbai.Many of the flights from the east coast fly into Mumbai, so you can catch a flight from Mumbai to Cochin. You have to stay overnight in Mumbai since all the flight from Europe to Mumbai arrive at night and there are no flights from Mumbai to Cochin when you arrive.

Dec 27th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Have you tried sidestep.com? It has good us-india fares.

Continental has a new non-stop Newark to Delhi route, and their prices were very good in early December.

In India, the best airlines are the newer ones like Jet Airways, Sahara, Spice and Kingfisher. There is a good site that compares all of these; I'll see if I can find it on my other computer later.
Dec 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Cochin is the old name for Kochi.
Kochi has an international airport served by lots of flights from the Gulf region. If you are flying from East Coast USA you might want to try Emirates, they have non-stop from NYC to Dubai and then onwards to Kochi, all flights on wide body aircraft with seatback TVs in coach and good service.
Another one probably cheap from NYC is Kuwait Airways via Kuwait and then continue with same airline thru to Kochi. The Emirates would be a good fast flight though.
Dec 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM

continental---delta----american---northwest/klm----thai----british air---luftansa---cathy pacific (offering some deals just now)---air france---alatalia---

some will have one outside india stop or two and then fly into one of 4 major indian airports before the final stop in cochin....