Guide for Angkor

Dec 21st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Guide for Angkor

Hi, I'm doing a whirlwind cambodia trip and would like to spend at least 3 days visiting Angkor Wat.

I'm doing it on the cheap and would like to know what a private guide cost, from the very cheap to the medium range.

I've seen eslewhere people saying they paid around $50US a day. Is that the going rate or is it more on the pricey side.

Dec 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM

the standard has been $20 for a guide and $20 for a driver with an a/c car...recent reports show this increasing slightly to as much as $55 per day for both, not $55 each, but for both...

there are probably cheaper ones where you go on the back of a motor bike with a guide??
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:00 AM

Remember that there are guides and there are drivers, two different people. You can go on the back of a moto for cheap $8-10, but you are with a driver, not a guide.

Ask yourself whether you need a guide or whether you can do with just a driver. If you read up on Angkor on your own before you go, you may feel fine without a guide.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM

Hello. This is the first message that I am replying to on this website. I was in Siem Reap for 3 days in October and loved it. We did have a guide and a driver, whom we paid $20 per day each. Having a guide, in my opinion, really made the trip much more enjoyable. We had Soeun Saron (his email is [email protected])--he was amazingly good, I thought. His english was better than the guide that our friends had during the same trip, he was really entusiastic and energetic, he loves his country and has all sorts of interesting stories. He grew up in a refugee camp, which was quite interesting to learn about. Anyway, if you are interested in a guide, he would be my recomendation. I think that it was definately worth the money.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:43 AM

Just got back from Siem Reap....Cheack out the site www.peaceofangkor.com. We stayed at their villa and we also did their tours. It was $20 US per person for a private car and guide. I would recommend doing the main temples of Angko (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Ta Prohm) with a guide and then hiring a tuk tuk to take you around the rest of the temples. We hired a tuk tuk driver from 5 a.m (angkor wat at sunrise) until around 3 p.m. and it cost $10.00 US.
As well - Peace of Angkor villa tours to Beng Mealea (a jungle temple about 60 km outside of Siem Reap) and Kompong Kleang (floating villages) were amazing and there were no tourists when we went to visit these sites because their a little off the beaten path but I would highly recommend.
Dec 24th, 2005, 12:42 AM

I've been emailing a number of drivers recently, for our upcoming trip, and have found that the average cost for a driver with a car is $20-25 a day, and a guide an additonal $20 a day. For a mini-van, more suited for 4+ people, they are $25-35 a day.
tuk tuks seem to be $10-12 a day
Dec 24th, 2005, 08:53 PM

snowboardgirl, what else can you tell me about the Peace of Angkor Guesthouse?? How long did you stay at the main temples?? Any other info you can give me would be great..
Dec 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Because of the rules about who is a guide, if you paid US$20 for a car and a driver, the driver was not a guide. Guides and drivers are always different people.

Any hotel or guesthouse can set you up with a car and driver and guide if you wish. You decide how long to spend at each of the temples. That is the advantage of hiring your own car and driver (and guide if you wish) over joining a group tour where you are herded from place to place.
Dec 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Maybe they changed it since 2001 when I was there, but my guide was also a driver with his own car. He had to wear a uniform and he had a badge which he kept visible at all times. The first days we went to Angkor he had to check in.

He was excellent $20/day + $20/day for the car.

[email protected]

Dec 26th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Interesting... that means you paid the same price for a guide and car that one typicallky pays for a car & driver plus a guide. You are the only person I've ever heard of who had a guide who is also a driver.
Dec 27th, 2005, 08:50 PM

The stay at Peace of Angkor was quite nice. The rooms are inexpensive and quite decent - hot showers and air conditioning. We had to take a tuk tuk everynight to go for dinner on the main strip in the old market. They arranged all of the tours with a driver and a guide.Because we were only in SR for 4 days - I found that 1 day doing the main temples - Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon and Ta Prohm were and another day doing the temple circuit was good enough. If you want to know a lot of history - definitely rent a guide - if you're okay with just seeing the temples and walking around and exploring - then rent a tuk tuk driver for the day. The other tours that we did with Peace of Angkor Villa (Kompong Kleang and Beng Melea) were phenomenal because they're a little off the beaten track and we therefore saw NO tourists. The Komong Kleang tour was great because you get to see a day in the life of Cambodians in a fishing village. Hope this helps.