First time to Japan - need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We received so much great advice from Fodorites last year in planning our trip to France, Germany and Austria, so I am here again seeking some advice for an upcoming trip to Japan.

Background: I'm in my mid-30's, husband is in his early 40's. We are Disney fanatics and proud geeks. We got married in April and had our honeymoon at Disney World. We've travelled to California to go to Disneyland, and France to go to Disneyland Paris. This trip to Japan came about because of our desire to spend some time at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. However, it's not the only thing we plan to do while we're in Japan. We're interested in castles and fortifications, scenic beauty and nature, and high tech stuff and toys. We want to see a couple of temples and shrines, but not too many. We're not much into museums, sports, or fancy food.

We are planning our trip for mid- to late April (to hit Disney during a slow week…thanks to KimJapan for info on school holidays!) for our first anniversary. We have not bought our plane tickets or reserved any hotel rooms – I've got a lot of possibilities on file for hotels, and we're waiting to see if flight prices come down in the next month or two as prices shot up about $500 each ticket since we started planning and saving for the trip (which means we have to stay in bare bones hotels, under $100US a night as a result if prices don't come down).

Our plans call for 9-1/2 days on the ground (I'm not counting the evening we arrive, we'll be wiped out), with 3 full days reserved for Disney. The others will be divided between Tokyo (Odaiba, Akihabara, and Harajuku with shopping on Ometesando are on our must-do list) and Kyoto (Kinkaku-ji, Kiyomizudera, Nijo-jo, plus a side trip to Himeji-jo are on our must-do list).

What we seem to be missing is the scenic beauty and nature part. We'd like to spend a half a day somewhere outside of either city. We don't want to have to travel too far, but we'd like to be far enough out to be surrounded by lots of trees and not see any tall buildings, maybe walk around a pretty small town, and maybe go hiking on trail that is not too rugged or long (we're out of shape computer people – a few miles long is more than enough!)

We thought of Nikko, but that involves a lot of travel time. I'd like to see Kamakura, but my husband is not keen on going there (not sure why). Hakone looks neat, but touristy – it's our "fallback" plan, I guess. Is there anywhere within an hour of Tokyo or Kyoto that might fit the bill? Any ideas or guidance would be very welcomed.

Also, any thoughts as to whether we're doing the right thing by waiting on plane tickets? I know you can't predict what might happen, but I have some hope in that gas prices are coming down. Right now tickets are about $1,500 each for economy and that's about all we can afford. We plan to buy no later than December - I hope we're doing the right thing!

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. Also thanks to everyone who has posted trip reports – I'm gleaning a lot of great info from those.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM

ticket price seems high to me...what airlines are you looking at?? today some airlines announced price cuts on fuel surcharges for international flights....

even look at airlines that might require you to fly there first, like korean and china and eva....
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I'm using FareCompare and Kayak and such to track flights. We'd prefer United since it would give us enough miles for free R/T tickets in the U.S., but we're open to any airline. United right now is $1833 each ticket. Continental is the cheapest at $1463.

I prefer one stop because I'm a super nervous flyer. We're flying out of Orlando and preferably into Tokyo-Narita, but Kansai would be okay, too, for a better price!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM

When you are in Tokyo you can go to Mount Takao for some fresh air

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html

While there try this restaurant recommended by kuranosuke

http://www.tokyo.to/ukai-toriyama/index.html

being a Disney freak myself(have been to all of the parks worldwide) you are in for a treat at Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea. Do a search on the Asia site for reports about TD

Aloha!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
emd

OMG, we loved Disney Sea. It was so much fun and the excellent theming is everything you read about and more. And yes, I have had two trips to Japan and we went to a lot of really great historial and beautiful places. But Disney Sea still brings a big smile to my face.

Considering your time on the ground and where you say you want to go, hawaii's recommendation for Mt. Takao is good. But you also have a lot of places you want to go to in Tokyo, and maybe you won't have time to go out to Mt. Takao from Tokyo. Personally, I have never been able to get away from Tokyo when I am there- it is so vibrant and so much to do there.

Alternatively, you can see some very cool natural areas from Kyoto. Like Kibune/Kurama, about 40 min. from Kyoto- great natural area w/forest hiking trail and a lovely onsen at Kurama at the end of the hike. For me, the Kyoto area lends itself more to this kind of natural exploration. (although I must give the disclaimer that while I have been to some nice natural outddor areas surrounding Kyoto, like Sagano and Ohara, I have never made it to Kurama and Kibune yet-- but I want to go!)

But be mindful that you have a limited amt. of time, and don't try to cram too much in, or it won't matter that you are going somewhere nice outdoors- you'll be too rushed to enjoy it.

See:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM

It is at least a month too soon for me to buy a ticket for travel in April. You might also check travelocity.ca (the flexible dates option) and itasoftware for prices.

ht, e, ken, please e-mail me at yahoo if you are planning a long-haul trip on UA up to Jan. 31.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM
emd

Where are you going to stay while at Disney? If you can splurge, there is nothing like Hotel Mira Costa, inside of the Disney Sea park. Amazing place. Even if you don't stay there go in (get there from outside the DS gate; only hotel guests can get in the entrance that is inside the park once inside the DS gate), see the ship in the lobby, look up above the ship at the dome stained glass ceiling, and walk down the halls where the rooms are located to look at the wonderful Disney themed murals painted on the walls in the room hallways. (Our rm. was on the Pinochio hall!)
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, ht, emd and mrwunrfl.

ht, I have been looking at the Disney reports here as well as the official website. To say we're excited is an understatement! After this trip, we only have Hong Kong Disneyland left - we're waiting to see if they expand it before we go.

I looked up Mt. Takao and it looks like a good possibility for us, due to its proximity to Tokyo. The restaurant you suggested looks like a neat splurge - it's also a possibility!

We're trying not to overplan, emd, due to our short time on the ground, which is why we don't want to stray too far from Tokyo or Kyoto this time around. I will check out your suggestion of Kibune/Kurama - looks close enough to Kyoto to be a possibility.

As for staying at the Miracosta at Disney - that is our wish and dream, but our budget is very tight. The only way we can stay there is maybe one or two nights, IF airfare comes down quite a bit. Otherwise, our hotel choices run in the $85-95 a night range. Yes, our budget is tiny, but we plan to have a good time no matter where we end up staying. But, we WILL go in to the hotel to see it - thanks for the tip on how to get in.

mrw, thanks for your thoughts on the flights. We're going to hold off and see if prices come down. We plan to purchase no later than January, though, for best dates/times availability.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM

You may want to look at some of the websites of the international airlines as well. We went to Japan last year and booked through AA (with award miles) but flew on JAL (a OneWorld Alliance member). For fun I priced the flights to see how much it would have cost us. At the time I checked, the flight on JAL was several hundred dollars less than if we were to have booked the same exact flight on AA. Not sure if this is always the case, but it may be worth trying.

I don't have anything to add other than we absolutely loved Japan. We split up our time between Tokyo and Kyoto and Kyoto blew my expectations away. You will have a fantastic time!

Tracy
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM

You should wait a few months to buy the air tickets. with the price of oil dropping, and the world economies tanking, there should be fare decreases shortly.....keep checking

Aloha!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM

I want to give you the best tip, that my Japanese friend gave me.

If you get the train to the Disney sea site and you need to buy a ticket to return at the end of the day, get it when you first arrive at the Disney sea station.

The return ticket machines are all available in the morning, but later in the day you have to queue for ages to get your ticket.

I think that was possibly one of the simplest and best tips we got for our visit.lol

Muck
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy and ht! I'm signed up for alerts through Kayak and FareCompare. I have been checking the airline sites lately as well. No change yet, but I'm patient!

Mucky, thanks for the tip, but we'll have a JR Rail Pass that we'll activate on the first day we head out to TDL. I calculated using Hyperdia and it'll save us a little bit of money between traveling back and forth to Maihama Station as well as down to Kyoto and over to Himeji and back, plus wherever we go for a half day out of the cities.

I did look up Kurama and Kibune and they look awesome, but the travel time is long with transfers. Arashiyama and Sagano are closer to Kyoto, and the train and monkey park look like fun - if anyone has been there, please comment on what you thought about it. Thanks!

Also, any other tips on Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone!
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Mousesavers has some tips on Tokyo Disney and a nice trip report. There's also couple of good links for Tokyo Disney listed on the site.

http://www.mousesavers.com/tokyo.html