First Time to Hong Kong, Need Hotel Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am making a work trip to Hong Kong the third week in June and will be attending a show at the H.K. Convention Center.

Questions:
1. Do I need to stay near the convention center? Would it been difficult to get there from another area?
2. I've never been to Hong Kong, where do most tourists stay?
3. Hotel Ideas $100-$150? Prices are all over the place. I don't need a 5*, but like a nice bed!
4. Has anyone done Priceline in Hong Kong?
The Priceline forum has some postings, but no many reviews of hotels.

I will be going by train to Guangzhou as well, but client will be putting me up at the White Swan. Has anyone stayed here?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM

No, you don't need to stay near the Convention Center. The best area for tourists to stay is Tsimshatsui at the tip of the Kowloon Peninsula. There's a Star Ferry service to Wanchai, a very short walk to the Convention Center.

I have not done Priceline in Hong Kong, and usually don't recommend people doing that. For example, in the most popular category - Tsimshatsui 4*, some are getting the Kowloon Hotel. Its location is excellent, but its rooms are notoriously small; or Regal Kowloon, which is in the Tsimshatsui East area, long walk to/from the MTR and not very exciting.

If you do Priceline, I'd go for the 5* category - the Sheraton is great, for about $100.

The 5* JW Marriott for ~$120 Pricline in Hong Kong West is also great. Take the tram or MTR (one-stop) to Wanchai, and the Convention Center is about a 10-minute walk. Or a short taxi ride.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Well, after looking at the winning bids on biddingfrotravel, I think 5* Priceline bids for Tsimshatsui and Hong Kong West are <b>excellent</b> for your price range and suit your need. Those are all very nice hotels that usually cost far more.

The only one that's not the most convenient is the Grand Hyatt, but that's a extremely luxurious hotel and its location the Convention Center is not a minus for you.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I need to purchase my ticket FIRST then look at 5* Priceline. (I will have a cancable backup hotel lined up).

Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Ah, Guangzhou I've been there twice. Haven't stayed at the White Swan, but it gorgeous...you should see a lot of families w/ their newly adopted babies there. There's a wonderful shopping plaza, Teem Plaza. Also, you might want to go to the pottery and jade market. Try the Pineapple Beer - in a yellow can, you can't miss it - and the pineapple pie at McDonald's. Another great place to shop - Beijing Lu.

Hong Kong...my guess is most business people stay in Central, but I stayed in Causeway Bay once and loved it. If you like shopping there are shops in that district such as Armani Exchange...also a Starbucks. Make sure you see Victoria's Peak at dusk, it's so beautiful.
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bondgirl. I need to read all the posts here on Hong Kong. It looks to be a bit overwhelming. I will be traveling by myself so I am trying to &quot;gleem&quot; as much info as I can.

Old May 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Oh, I don't know why I forgot to mention about the White Swan. It's one of the first real luxury hotel built in Guangzhou, and from what I've read, it's still in excellent shape, and the best hotel in town.

The location is not ideal for sightseeing, but it's right on the Pearl River with a nice view. Just take a taxi to/from the hotel. Cabs are inexpensive.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM

You might want to check out the 'South Pacific Hotel' in Wan Chai, 2 minutes to the exhibition centre by cab or a 10 minute walk. The hotel does some excellent long stay deals.

I have stayed there recently and it's a very comfortable hotel.

Here's their website
http://www.southpacifichotel.com.hk