Search

Help in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in Japan

We are planning to visit Japan late October or early November. What will the weather be like, as a rule? Where or how can we eat without floating a loan? We'll only be there 5 days, so prob won't leave Tokyo. What are best things to do/see?
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Joy, The weather will depend on the typhoon season...I moved here last Sept and it was still pretty hot and humid, but by late Oct it had cooled to a very comfortable temperature - I wore a light jacket until the end of November, when I started wearing a fleece (I guess it was a warmer year than normal). Last season was a bit crazy with typhoons - but when they blew out they often left good weather, and cleared the smoggy skies for a good view of Fuji-san.
As for eating, it depends on what you like...I don't eat seafood so I can't tell you much about sushi, but in Tokyo you can get any kind of food a a wide variety of prices...
As for things to see - Asakusa is a great touristy area, and you can get all the souvenirs there (along Nakamise)...Yokohama is also a great day trip. It's less than an hour from Tokyo, has a nice water taxi (the sea bass) that you can take and get some cool views of the harbor, lots of shopping and restaurants, and there's also a great Chinatown there. Also, depending on the weather and the timing of your trip, you might hit the Kanto area when the changing leaves peak. Nikko is another great day or overnight trip to the mountains with great views.
Enjoy your trip!
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Girl. Forgot to state that we'll be staying at the Hilton, if that narrows things down a bit.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM

The Hilton in Shinjuku is a really nice hotel. If you have gold or platinum status with HHonors you might get upgraded to exec floor if there is space...plats have a better chance of course. You will have to ask for the upgrade I think, as they really like to give you free breakfast coupons instead. Getting the use of the lounge is a perk well worth the effort though...in fact, it's worth paying for! The breakfast up there is great, and quieter than the big restaurant. The free drinks and snacks are excellent, as is the staff. Often the rates are quite good at the Hilton, so even paying for an exec room won't break the bank, and when you figure in the breakfast, free drinks and snacks (includes alcohol too) you may well come out ahead.

Eating in Japan isn't going to break the bank. Of course, like anywhere, it is possible to spend a week's salary on dinner. But it isn't at all the norm. Around the Hilton, walking toward Shinjuku station, are lots of restaurants located inside buildings with only signs marking them. Ask for some recommendations, check the magazines in your room for ads/reviews, consult a few guidebooks, do some searches on the web for Tokyo restaurant guides. A good dinner for 2 with drinks can easily be found for under 5000 yen. An adequate dinner for much less is possible. Lunch sets run between 500 and 1000 yen most places.

Weather...tough to call. Shouldn't be too hot, though. And not too cold. Typhoon season, but some years
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM

some years you don't notice the typhoons...some years, like last year, the typhoons just keep coming.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:07 AM

For day trips (according to my preference):

1. Nikko - 2 hours from Asakusa on the Tobu railway. about JPY2,200.
I bought the World Heritage Pass for JPY3,760 which covers the 2 way train fare, discount for some shops, entrance to the 3 main temples/shrines and travel on the shuttle bus.
2. Kamakura - 1-1/2 hr from Tokyo station on JR about JPY1,500 return.
3. Yokohama - 1 hr from Tokyo on JR
about JPY1,000 return. For day trip suggest going to Minato Mirai and than to Chinatown.

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch, Kim. You and Girl have been a great help. I can hardly wait. Four of us are going.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM

kmloke; where did you buy the whp? it sounds like a good deal.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM

The World's Heritage Pass is sold only to foreigners at the Travel Service Center at the Tobu Asakusa station. They didn't ask me to show my passport though. Look for directions as it's an office at the corner of the station.

They have the Nikko Mini Free Pass (2 days)and Nikko Kinugawa Pass (4 days). They cover more places.

To find out more go to:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM

kmloke; thanks for the info. was going this year, but may visit next year.