from airport and convenient hotel for
one in Hong Kong.
Comments please about convenient hotel for a
single tourist and transportation to
hotel from airport. I will arrive around
9 PM. Don't need high end hotel, but a
safe one.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM

How long are you staying? Convenient for sightseeing, shopping, entertainment, or what? Have you been to Hong Kong before? And any price range you have in mind?

For single person, taxi won't be economical. So, you choices from airport are limited to basically three types:

1. Airport Express Train (~HK$100 or US$13)
2. Private hotel shuttles (~HK$100-120)
3. Airport Bus (~HK$33-40)
Feb 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

First visit to Hong Kong. Shopping
is secondary. I want to see the sights.
I will be there on Monday and leaving on
Friday. I am not sure of hotel rates in
Hong Kong other than a look at Hotels.
Com. I would say around $100 USA $s.
I find the trip from plane to hotel
can be confusing after a flight. Thanks
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:31 PM

There are many booking sites on the web for hotels in Hong Kong, and there are lots of choices for <US$100 a night. You won't get the 4* "name-brand" hotels, but you should find plenty "3-star" class tourist hotels for about $80...

The best location for tourists at this price range are various hotels in the Tsim Sha Tsui - Jordan - Mong Kok corridor in Kowloon. You want the hotel to be as close to the MTR (subway train) station as possible. The MTR runs beneath Nathan Road, the main thoroughfare there.

Some of the more popular choices include the YMCA Salisbury Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui (it's not your regular Y, but a pretty good hotel next to the ultra-expensive Peninsula). Super convenient, and partial harborview rooms are about $108. Single, non-view rooms are about $84.

Also in Tsim Sha Tsui is the Empire Hotel Kowloon. Pretty new property, ~$85. Further up Nathan Road, a good hotel is Eaton Hotel near the Jordan MTR station. Also about $100/room. If you want

If you want cheaper rates, there are quite a few hotels near the Wan Chai, Tin Hau and North Point MTR stations along Hong Kong Island. They are not as convenient for general tourists, but rates are a little lower.

And if you want even lower rates, the YWCA have several well kept guest houses. For example, the Anne Black House in Kowloon is about a 15 minute walk from the busy Mong Kok district. They have single room for about $50, or $33 with communal baths. This is a very clean, well-run, actual hotel. Not a run-down youth hostel. www.ywca.org.hk
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I am going to HK in 2 weeks, and was able to get 3 nights at the Sheraton Hotel in Kowloon for $85/per night on priceline. With taxes and cancellation insurance the total was $298 for 3 nights for 2 persons. I used bidding for travel.com for info on how to get the area and quality level that I wanted. I had previous success with a priceline room in London. Once you decide what neighborhood you want to stay in, the rest is easy. Be sure and read the FAQ on biddingfortravel.com. Good luck, Barb
Feb 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Barb - Good price you get for the Sheraton.

Anyways, besides the YMCA and YWCA facilities, another well-run cheap hotel is the BP International House on Austin Road, between the Tsim Sha Tsui and Jordan MTR stations. It is operated by the Scouts of Hong Kong. You can book it at various hotel-booking websites. Should be about US$60-70/room.
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM

I really like the Rosedale on the Park. It is a great value for the money. It is very conveniently located in Causeway Bay which is right beside Wan Chai area. It is a five minute walk from the Octopus (underground train transportation) or a five minute cab ride (cabs are cheap) to Wan Chai.

That same walk will put you in the Times Square / Sogo area which offers lots of shops, restaurants, etc. The "park" is Victoria Park, one of many green areas in HK. Most rooms do not overlook the park, most have views of the city itself.

Service, facilities and amenities are excellent. I was shocked to discover that this is a Best Western. You can check out the website at http://www.rosedale.com.hk/ Yes, the photos are of honest to goodness guest rooms.

They are running a special thru March 7 that starts at $690 HK ($88 US) plus tax (13% if I remember correctly). I always e-mail the hotel directly for help with my arrangements and they are very helpful and responsive with information and are happy to answer general questions about the HK.