Finalizing my itinerary....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate any comments regarding a 2-week trip to Thailand. We'd like to hit a few of the best places rather than move around every night or two. We're interested in seeing the country, the people, the culture, the elephants... NOT looking for nightlife, shopping, or crowds. Are we going to the right places? It's amazing how quickly you can use up 14 days!

We're skipping Siem Reap in favor of spending the last couple days at the beach --will we be sorry?
Here's the plan as of now:
>> 3 days in Bangkok (Day one will be a jet lag recovery day, leaving two full days for sightseeing)
>> 3 days in Chiang Rai and Golden Triangle area (staying at Anantara)
>> 1 night at Angkhang Nature Resort (we'll see Mae Sai on the Myanmar border that day)
>> 4 days in Chiang Mai
>> 3 nights/2 days at the Aleenta in Hua Hin (beach on east coast)
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I am sure others will chime in on this but I suggest you do one or two less days in Chiang Mai and a day or two more in Bangkok. Three nights/two full days in Chiang Mai is plenty. From Bangkok you can do a day trip to Ayuttya/Bang Pa-In Palace and a half day trip to the Damnoen Saduak floating market.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:15 AM

I personally would not pass up an opportunity to see Ankor Wat in favor of sitting on a quite mediocre beach in Hua Hin. Ankor Wat is quite spectacular and would be on most people’s list as a must-visit destination. IMO the beaches in Hua Hin are pretty, but not at all spectacular. You may also be disappointed by the number of hawkers on the beach, the high rise apartments and hotels and the sort of Miami beach feel to the place, absent the art deco and great restaurants. If you are really going to give up Ankor Wat, then pick a place like Koh Samui, the islands off the east coast of Malaysia or Phuket and surrounding islands. Time of year is also an issue, I can’t tell from your other posts when you trip is. I would not go to Hua Hin in the fall months, and would not go to Phuket in the summer months, too much rain.

I agree with James that 8 nights in the northern part of Thailand is too many. I would definitely add a few days to Bangkok. You could split Bangkok time to have a few days in the beginning and at the end for last minute shopping and due to flight times back to the US so you can avoid having to spend one night at an airport hotel.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM

If you are city people then I would add a day or two more in Bangkok and reduce same in the other areas.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Given that you are spending 4 days in the far north of Thailand, I think you could cut out Chaing Mai entirely and go to visit the temples at Angkor instaed. Four nights in Siem Reap would be perfect.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM

kathie is always right....two days max in chiang mai, but it could be cut altogether....you will love anantara..

honestly you could skip the myanmar visit as it is so artificial....

i hope you know that each time you relocate you will kill at least 1/2 day....

i think you are going to one place too many....so if you cut CM you would not miss that much...i would add the days to bkk and one to the south....aleenta is issolated---are you aware of this??
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Bob knows best- as always!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I want to be sure I've understood the sum of your advice. Kathie/Bob, You're recommending that we skip both Chiang Mai and the Angkhang Nature Resort and go to Siem Reap instead, is that correct? Do you also suggest that we skip Hua Hin? Hua Hin/Aleenta was intended for R&R, so if Aleenta is isolated all the better. I picked that area since it's closer and easier to get to than Koh Samui or Phuket.

We travel in February.

One other thing: I was intrigued by the elephant conservation camp I read about on this forum, and it's located near Chiang Mai. Want to see those lovely beasts without feeling too badly about their treatment. Will other elephant camps be too touristy with questionable conditions for the animals?
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm just suggesting that you skip CM. I'd leave in Angkhang Nature Resort (though I would skip crossing to Burma - it's sort of like going to Tijuana and saying you've been to Mexico). I'd leave in the couple of days at the beach, though you could trade them for more days in Bangkok at the end.

There is an elephant conservation camp at the Anantara. You'll have the opportunity for "hands on" experience with elephants bif you'd like.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:26 AM

The Aleenta actually isn't in Hua Hin at all, but Hua Hin is the nearest lartge town. The Aleenta is on the coast about 30-40 minutes south of Hua Hin in the pranburi area. It is a wonderfully designed place and excellent service with style, although very quiet and remote you 'can' get into Hua hin for restaurants, night markets etc, and transport is readily available. If you want a quiet place then fine but as long as you realise that except for say going to the Evason or Purimantra for a meal you would spend evenings at the Aleenta unless you went into Hua Hin.
The beach along the front of Hua Hin from the Sofitel south the the Chiva Som and Hyatt is not brilliant by any means, the beaches just past the Hyatt are the best at Khao Takiab bay and beyond. For beach rest and romantic location the Aleenta is nice, just remember though that 'quiet and remote' really means just that!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM

james has voiced exactly what i was trying to say about aleenta....it is issolated as long as you understand that....you would be perfectly happy there i feel...

i would never suggest skipping SR in general but you have to weigh the alternatives given the time constraints...also remembering that each place location change requires at least 1/2 day or more...

i totally forgot that you are going to anantara so that would be perfect for your elephant time...it is nicely set-up there...i would then cut the nature preserve and thus cut out CM and redistribute your time....more bangkok and more beach
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

OK I am convinced. No Chiang Mai. I found comments on this forum on the Shinta Mani in SR and it sounds perfect.
Appreciate your advice to do the elephant stuff at Anantara (and rhkkmk, in another thread I found your positive comments about the cooking school at Anantara, so I'll definitely do that while there.)

We decided to stop over in Hong Kong so we will now have three full days in Bangkok at the start of the trip. I know you all love BKK but we want as much country as possible. And I can't convince my better half to forego the beach time.

So -- If Hua Hin is not all that great, should we consider Phuket or Ko Samui -- it just sounds like they are crowded and busy beach towns. Comments? And how does this revised itinerary sound?

>> 3 days in BKK
>> 3 days at Anantara/Golden Triangle
>> 1 night at Angkhang Nature Resort
>> 3 nights in SR
>> 3 nights for our beach stay -- maybe we fly to Samui or Phuket instead of going to Hua Hin
>> back to Bangkok for just one night -- I know that hurts you all

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice....
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM

It is the Aleenta which is isolated not Hua Hin! I think for what it offers Hua Hin is great, unless you want a very touristy type island place, but weather could come into it here, May to October Gulf of Thailand has the good weather ( Hua Hin, Tok Tao, Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Pattaya/Jomtien Coast ) and then Nov to April weather is good around Phuket/Krabi/Koh Lanta. Hua Hin though is fine all year except late October and November, so your time of year traveling may swing it one way or another. In Hua Hin there is a good choice of resorts, you have the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, the excellent Sofitel, Anantara resort and a Dusit resort. The Hyatt Regency is a good choice.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM

There 'are' quiet beaches on both Samui and Phuket with nice relaxing resorts in all ranges, if you don't want the busy areas then it is easy to avoud on both islands just by staying on the quieter parts of the islands. Both are about 1 hr - 1 hr 20 flights from Bangkok. Hua Hin is about 2.5 hours by Limo from Bangkok city/airport.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM

i would go to samui...it is very nice...james sent us to the peace resort last year and we loved it...it is quiet, decent beach (water was only so so, but beach area is nice), fabulous pool, very good inexpensive restaurant with some western food, good breakfast, easy access to the main cha. beach town...5-15 minute walk to bophut town with bars, restaurants, a few shops, etc...

we had a beach front bungalow which was very nice...the place is not lux but perfect as a beach location...if you want lux look at the pansea---fantastic...
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Personally, I tend to prefer isolated resorts. If they have good food, beautiful rooms, nice beach, etc., that's what I'm looking for. I've never particularly liked the beach towns and find that the restaurants in town are often not as good as the food at a good resort. I've not been to the Aleenta, but if your prefernces for resorts are like mine, I explect you'll be fine with that choice.

PS Do take the cooking class at the Anantara. You probably read my review as well, as I stayed there right after they opened. It's a fabulous place!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, I agree with you completely about finding isolated resorts, especially when we'll be there just a few days. So I think we'd be happy with Aleenta BUT from what you all have said, I now realize that it might be easier for us to fly straight to Samui or Phuket rather than into Bangkok for a 2.5 hour drive down to Hua Hin.

So do you have any other suggestions for quiet isolated resorts? I like Bob's recommendation for Pansea; might even consider Peace though this is a big trip for us so I can probably spring for something a little more lux.

Sorry if this info is elsewhere on the forum -- maybe you can just get me started with a couple more ideas. I haven't researched either Phuket or Samui at all yet.

Bob -- I just re-read your earlier post about anantara and see that I can comfortably cut out the nature reserve in Angkhang... that gives me one extra day to put somewhere. That's great!

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

p.s. from what James said it sounds like I should steer clear of Samui because of weather in February? If yes I guess I'd be looking for quiet resorts/areas on Phuket.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Having looked around at the forum a bit more, I think your advice at this point would be to start a new thread regarding my search for quiet beach resorts on Phuket.... thanks for your advice here so far.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM

you should get good results with your new post on phuket...i gave general info...james and others will chime in....now i see its feb so that changes things a bit...james will comment on this too probably...

peace is not lux at all, just comfortable and laid back....