feedback on india travel plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our first trip to India for Sept/ Oct. I am struggling with the order for the proposed cities.
Proposed itinerary is as follows:
9/20 arrive Delhi
9/21 Delhi
9/22 Delhi
9/23 fly to Jodhpur
9/24 Jodhpur
9/25 Jodhpur
9/26 fly to Udaipur
9/27 Udaipur
9/28 drive to Jaipur
9/29 Jaipur
9/30 jaipur
10/1 drive to Agra
10/2 Agra
10/3 drive, fly, train? to Varanasi
10/4 Varanasi
10/5 Varanasi
10/6 fly to Delhi
10/7 Delhi
10/8 fly home
Is it practical to plan to drive to so many places? Is it too much time in Delhi? Anything else that we should include? Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 09:27 PM

3 nights in Delhi are fine after a long flight from the US. Delhi has a lot to keep you engrossed over this period of time, great ruins of history & bustling markets.
Jodhpur should be about 2 nights only & thereafter you could a overnight in some beautiful rural setting between Jodhpur & Udaipur. There are quite a few great options. Remember, you will love Rajasthan perhaps not in the cities but in these rural settings...pristine!
From Agra drive to Delhi & fly to Varanasi. Or you could take the route through the heart of India (Central India) by including Khajuraho & Panna National Park.
Three night in Varanasi are a night too many.
Very best!
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input, vp_singh. I have another concern. We will be in Agra on 10/2 for Gandhi's birthday. Will it be extra crowded on that day?
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 10:00 PM

I believe India has moved on...sadly??... since 1948! What you may see is some Govt. sponsored token programmes at an attempt to remember the Father of the nation. There will be no crowds.
44 miles south-east of Agra is a beautiful destination the Chambal Safari Lodge. If you have a couple of days, you should stay there.
Enjoy your travels, you will love India!
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 01:12 AM

Your itinerary seems fine. Have a few suggestions -

1. Between Jodhpur and Udaipur, there are no direct flights. You'd end up connecting in Mumbai, or worse, in Delhi. There are no trains either - historical reasons. Anyways, driving would be the best bet. A great place to stop and possibly overnight is Ranakpur, another is Kumbhalgarh. Either ways, this would make for a long day trip if taking in one or both sights, or a relaxed two day one night trip. The jain temples of Ranakpur are one of the finest anywhere and the fort's wall is worth seeing (at one point of time, you could drive your jeep on it - this isn't allowed any longer - good for the fort).

2. If you're interested in Jaisalmer, you could shave off one day each from Jodhpur, Jaipur and perhaps Varanasi* and can fly now. There is a single flight from Jaipur. We took it last year November. Jaisalmer is very different from other parts of Rajasthan and we find it enjoyable.

3. It will be crowded on 2nd October as it is a bank holiday and the chances of government employees, private sector employees, etc snagging a long weekend are quite high (2nd October is tuesday, this year). Agra is quite drive-able from Delhi so expect weekend warriors there. You've done well by including two nights there and hope you dont skip fatehpur sikri in your time there.

4. National parks usually open by 1st October but this year Panna opens on 15th. You may want to check the dates similarly before deciding on any national parks. They all have websites. Panna's is here - http://www.pannatigerreserve.in/

*I hesitate to quantify the number of days in Varanasi as it evokes a strong response from everyone - aficionados say a lifetime is not enough and others find the chaos and filth unbearable. If you do three days, include Sarnath and possibly the fort of Ramnagar.

Last edited by AroraV; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: more information
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback from everyone. I've found the info ivI' received from Fodorites extreme ly helpful with my trip planning!
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree with the idea of going to Varanasi for just one day (two nights = one full day), especially if you side trip to Sarnath which I recommend. It's out of the way from the rest of your trip and I wouldn't invest the time to travel there and back just for one day. Plus, your visit would be rushed and it's the kind of place where you will be repaid by wandering. Also, do stay ON the river, not in the main town.

I think it's a pity to go to India and not take at least one train trip. See: https://www.seat61.com/India.htm
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I know it would be great to take at least one train trip but I think that will be for our next trip to India. I'm sure we will want to return again and again!