Everest Base Camp Trek

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Everest Base Camp Trek

I'm planning to visit Everest Base Camp this October-November. I looked at the itineraries of various travel agents but they are different from what I heard from travelers. People have told me in the past that they made it to Everest Base Camp and came back in around 8-10 days. However, most itineraries tell that it requires 15-20 days for EBC trek. An agent named Ambition Himalaya offers a 16 day trek to Everest Base Camp. An agent named Ace Himalays offers a 14 day package. Glorious Himalaya offers a 15 day package. Some have itineraries as long as three weeks. What is the difference between a 10 day trek to the Everest and a three week one? I think the longer itineraries have more acclimatization days stuffed in between to make the tour last longer. I also find that the hours of trek per day is also lesser with longer itineraries. Is this a ploy by travel agents to fleece more money from trekkers who would know little?

Otherwise, why would a trek that can be completed in around 10 days be extended to 21 days? What is there in Everest to occupy one after he/she has seen the Base Camp?
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 05:50 AM

Your questions are probably best asked on the Nepal forum on Tripadvisor where you will find a lot of experienced trekkers.

I have never done the EBC trek but have done a lot of high altitude trekking in the Andes and elsewhere. the main thing I have learned is to allow plenty of time for acclimatisation. the longer you spend gradually increasing the altitude, the easier your body will acclimatise. The absolute minimum I would allow before embarking on any trek at altitude is 3 days during which time it is best just to take it easy. Longer would be better but few have that luxury. after that it is fare better to ascend gradually rather than rushing it. Those inexperienced trekkers that do push themselves too hard too soon are usually the ones who end up turning back

Even after spending several months above 3000m we still struggled when hiking up to the Refugio @ 5500m on Chimborazo volcano in Ecuador. Others, regardless of age, sex or fitness fared worse and some just turned around an descended.

For info on altitude issue have a read of https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/altitude-sickness/ AMS is a very serious, potentially life threatening condition. best to be prepared.

When hiking at these altitudes I would much rather take it slowly, shorter trekking days are a positive rather than a negative and, don’t forget that unless you are with a private guide, you will generally be travelling at the speed that suits the group, not you personally. the high you go the harder it gets.

I am sort of semi considering a similar trip later this year but would probably look at hiring a private guide and porter etc. when there rather than joining an organised trip. that way I can go a a pace to suit me and no-one else.

"Is this a ploy by travel agents to fleece more money from trekkers who would know little?” Maybe it is but to find out you probably need to seek out reviews of people who have used hose companies. Personally I would try to find out the daily altitude max. the daily walking time and distances and rest days etc.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:59 PM

I, too, haven’t done this trek but the advice above is good. I doubt they’re padding the itineraries, rather including plenty of time that most need for the altitude. Even with extra time it’s possible for some to not finish the trek. A close friend of mine and travel companion who lives above 7000’ and is an avid outdoorsman had difficulties on his trip and a companion developed difficulties such that all 3 trekkers were airlifted down by helicopter, fortunately paid for by their travel insurance. If you opt to do this trek think seriously about insurance, even if it isn’t something you usually consider or if you don’t imagine you’ll need it. That experienced climber would have had quite a bill without it. Taking a few extra days is simply insurance of another. It can be infinitely more expensive to overestimate your abilities.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:27 AM

That must be the most trodden path on the planet...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ump-locals-say

It sounds quite a once-in-a-lifetime thing to do, but I think I'll pass on it.

I was talking to a couple of Australian women in a cafe in the Kathmandu tourist area, Thamel. They were doing the trek for Charity. Neither had any relevant trekking experience, and one was complaining that her boots were rubbing. I warned them about the Yetis, they thanked me.....crazy people.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 05:17 AM

Enjoy your rocking chair, Lancaster Lad.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Jobin...

I'm more likely to end up in a wheelchair....

Bye bye SE Asia

Almost did, at best, If you read my Transylvania trip report.