Everest Base Camp Trek

Search

Everest Base Camp Trek

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everest Base Camp Trek

My husband and I are in the very early planning stages of a trip to Nepal and India for the fall of 2008. We would like to do one of the Everest Treks and are not sure whether it is worth the extra time to go all the way to the Everest Base Camp or not. I should say although we are both very fit and healthy and run regularly, neither of us have ever done any mountain hiking or trekking before. Aside from the bragging rights to say we went to base camp I am not sure its worth the extra time or not. I have looked at some of the trips and they seem really intense and I do want a holiday!!! Any advice would be appreciated regarding tour companies, what to expect etc. Thanks!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM

For a start, have you ever gone above 10,000 feet while skiing or on trips to the Alps or Rockies? If not you have no idea how you will react to high elevations. Some people have a very surprising and very negative reaction to those heights. Everst base camp is something like 16,000 feet. At a minimum, you should do some climbing in the US (assume you live there) in elevations near base camp elevation to make sure you like it. Otherwise this will be a huge waste of money. Also, you have to be a pretty good climber to GET to base camp in any event from what I understand, so some training would be necessary before you go. You have to do a good bit of walking to get to the base camp, you can't just fly in. Therefore, for non-climbers, I think it may well always be a huge waste of money, but it is your money; however you don't want to be ill doing it.

There are places in Nepal (and even India) from which you can see Everest, you don't have to go to base camp to do so. Also, IMO Nepal is not really nearly as interesting at Bhutan (nor as good for dinner party converstation, which seems to be what you are looking for). For really good dinner party talk, try Ladakh, which NO ONE goes to, everyone has been to Nepal...
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM

My son did the base camp trek a couple of years ago, but had to descend before actually getting there because of alltitude sickness. He is a young man, very fit and he did do some intense training beforehand. As I understand it,this can affect even hardened climbers and there is no guaranteed way to avoid it.So my opinion is that as you are taking a holiday,consider a less demanding trek. I think the name 'base camp' can be a little misleading.It's quite a climb to get there and potentially quite dangerous.
He brought home some pics of a round of golf that he and his friends played whilst in Nepal. The tee on one ledge and the 'green' on another and mountain peaks in the background....quite surreal pics. Maybe you would like to consider something like that?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I haven't done base camp but we did clim/wak Mt Kinabalu (15,000ft)in Borneo a few years ago. In a party of 10 only 6 made it teh other 4 dropped out because of the altitude. It seems that altitude fitness can affect anyone regardless of fitness levels, although I believe that there is a drug you can take which can help alleviate the worst symptoms (in Peru they chew coca leaf!)

The biggest problem for me personlly was the descent which puts a tremendous strain on muscles that are not often used to such extremes - it was really painfull to walk for a couple of days afterwards!

I would suggest lots of training on the hill machines in the gym prior to departure. I am not sure where you are located but there was an excellent TV series here in the UK a couple of years ago called Himalaya, presented by Michael Palin which should be available on DVD
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Hey:

I climbed Kala Pattar which overlooks base camp. It is right around 18,000 feet(5545m). I experienced altitude sickness around 11,000 feet. It was my first time above 6,000 feet.

It took us around 12 or 13 days to do. You can see Everest two times before getting to the "base camp" area. Once after a 2 day walk from Lukla(still very far away...just before Namche). The second is maybe 4 or 5 days away(Tengboche). Great area with a large monastery.

Kala Pattar is the small mountain that overlooks base camp and Gorak Shep. It is the point where everyone can see every peak in the area. My preference would be to go hear versus base camp. It is in the same area, and in fact, you will stay at the same lodges in Gorak Shep. Kala Pattar requires no technical climbing skills; however, it is a tough climb.

We hired a local company in Kathmandu that was awesome. They provide everything, plus, great guides. The owner of the company will actually have you over to his house afterwards for a meal. It is a great company. Very small but very detailed. They will pick you up at the airport and make sure every need it met. We were able to go for 17 days...all food and lodging, airfare to Lukla for $750 per person (not including tips) We were well taken care of. If one travels with a US or European company...the trips costs at least a couple thousand.

Let me know if I can help...I have a lot of information.

Take Care,
SH
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Hi. Your questions do raise many other questions and I suggest actually speaking to a person experienced with Nepal and altitude issues. If you'd like, I'd be happy to speak with you as you get ready and plan a trek. Just email me off my website and I'll get in touch.

Andy Crisconi
One World Trekking
www.oneworldtrekking.com