Reload this Page >

is there a doctor on this site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:08 PM
jen

Hi-<BR>I moved to Spain from the US on August 1st. I get Strep throat at least once a year (or more) every year of my life. Have it again (too much partying here)...Question: Spanish Doctor only gave me a 4-day dose of Amoxicillin 500mg. (1 pill every 8 hours/12capsules total). <BR><BR>In the States I am always given a 500mg dose every 8 hours for TEN days... Doctors stateside always stress completing the 10 day dose in order to insure the complete eradication and avoidance of recurrence.<BR><BR>Anyone with a medical background...is it weird that I only got a 4-day dose? Thanks!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Melissa

You really shouldn't be asking for medical advice on a travel forum. Go check out Web Md or something...<BR>But since you asked-<BR>I am a nurse, who unfortunately has had a lot of strep throat to boot. Amoxicillin is hardly ever prescribed for just 4 days. It is odd. You probably should be on it longer, or you will most likely get a recurrence.<BR>Hope you feel better soon.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Leslie

Not being a nurse, but having been on Amoxicillin many times, my physician also prescribes 500 mg dosages (500 mg is a high dose), but only 1 tablet every 12 hours, and only for 7 days. I don't think that your body can absorb 1500 mg in one day. It's like taking too much Vitamin C, your body can only absorb so much and then disposes of the rest.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:50 PM
medic

leslie stop giving medical advice especially as youo have no idea of what you are talking about. 500mg is not a hiogh dose and at 2 a day(1000mg) is a very moderate dose. it is given at 2x that amount withopout difficulty and does not get removed like vitamine c. when you do not know the answer correctly and accurately just keep it to yourself before your lousy advice hurts someone

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:52 PM
media

jen go back to the doctor or a different one because 4 days is an insufficient dose. inadequate treatment can lead to rheumatic fever and heart valve damage. please do notd neglect this as it is very impordtant to you. good luck

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:40 PM
ridem

All of you are correct. However 12 500mg capsules equals 8 grams.<BR>The usual dosage is 1 gram per day (b.i.d.) or two 500mg capsules each day. <BR><BR>So... dosage it isn't too much, the duration is almost adequate, the drug is relatively safe (beware of vaginal yeats infections however!! after antibiotic usage). The price is right.<BR><BR>MY ONLY PROBLEM IS....HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A STREP THROAT WITHOUT A THROAT SWAB AND CULTURE????<BR><BR>The last poster who mentioned heart valve infection as a serious (worst case) possibility as a result of under-treatment is correct. Also include: strep-induced acute renal failure, and a whole list of "nasties" you don't (mercifully) know about.<BR><BR>Lastly, there is no guarantee, anywhere on Earth, that the drug you were prescribed is of the same quality or dosage as the physician prescribed. That occurs everywhere on Earth, thanks to greed.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Rex

As with virtually all medical questions, this one should be addressed to the physician who prescribed the treatment.<BR><BR>And the pharmacist who dispensed the medication is a strong second candidate to ask the question.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Don't you fear, Dr. Feelgood is here!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:53 PM
mdwife

You should NEVER take an antibiotic for only four days. The minimum to stay on an antibiotic is 10-14 days. By taking a 4 day dose your body will kill off the weakest bacteria of the virus and the strongest germs will become immune to the amoxicillin. Find a new doctor, this one doesn't seem too bright.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:05 PM
md

Such a silly generalization. There anre a number of infections for which ONE DOSE of specific antibiotics is entirely appropriate. And many doctors can cite the logic in starting antibiotics on the basis of clinical suspicion, pending cultire results. And when those culture results fail to confirm a BACTERIAL infection, those antibiotics might well be stopped at 24, 48 or 72 hours.<BR><BR>This sound principle is applied to the treatment of inpatients and outpatients alike all over the United States, and probably all over the world.<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:10 PM
mdwife

P.S. I'm not trying to be rude in any way but if any of the above posters were phyisicians they shoud know this basic info. A general hint is to look for a physician with the most letters next to their name. And research phisicians on the net. I don't know how it works in Spain but if you don't know anyone call the hospitals and ask them how one would research finding qualified physicians and where they trained.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:15 PM
mdwife

Md I will disagree with you. This is basic knowledge, my husband is a practicing cardiologist of 15 years and has more than two thousand patients. I won't deiliberate any more about this and the poster can make their own decision. P.S. I know full well there are one day antibiots but they are not used for throat illnesses.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:19 PM
mdwife

sorry for typos; )

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:24 PM
hmm

&lt;&lt;kill off the weakest bacteria of the virus&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>that's some real convincing scientific evidence that you know what you're talking about.<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:29 PM
mdwife

Just because I don't know the precise medical terminology does not mean I am incorrect. I only knew you would start insulting me now. It would be interresting to know your qualifications. Good evening.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:49 PM
oh

Oh, I see. Your qualifications consist of being married to a doctor.<BR><BR>from this you conclude that the doctor in spain is not too bright. when there is no clue as to whether this a language barrier problem, whether jen had a culture, what symptoms or physical findings there may have been.<BR><BR>and on and on.<BR><BR>you'd make a good reporter or detective.<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:18 PM
White Coat

Jen- If you have relocated to Barcelona then you will need to find someone for regular care. If you don't trust the one who gave you this Rx, keep looking. And to the self appointed experts above - no ethical practitioner would try to prescribe in this forum. Please don't confuse what you think you know with good science.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 12:08 AM
xxx

For the first time ever since I've been visiting this site (four years now), REX'S answer makes the most sense. He is a physician, and however numerous his personality problems, the advice this time is sound.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 12:28 AM
math

especially since 12 500 mg capsules equal 6 grams ..not 8 as stated above.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 12:38 AM
now

"vaginal yeats infections"<BR>as in the Monologues..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -