Do You Know These Bangkok Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me feedback on the following restaurants? They were recommended to me by a friend. I am staying at the Peninsula Hotel for two nights and need two restaurant ideas. I plan on Lord Jim's buffet lunch one day. The other "lunch" will be the tea at the Pen. included in my package. So one night I would like something simpler and one night something special. Stayed at the Regent (Four Seasons) two years ago and have eaten at Biscotti and the Spice Market. Thanks!

The Bed Superclub
Mah Naga
Bahn Kanitta Gallery
Face Hazara
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:46 AM

don't know any of them...where are they?? thought i knew most of the good places", but there are always new ones...

for your simple nite, how about harmonique...it is on soi 34, new road...theat's the road (new road) that runs parrell with the river but in one long block from the river....this is a thai restaurant, reasonable in cost, with very good food...the restaurant is best described as eclectic...there is an open area, which i think was once a open area between several buildings...there are 2 a/c rooms, neither of which has ever had any guests other than us in it....there is a tacky shop at the entrance...it is run by an older couple who are quite disorganized, but very friendly...the SERVICE IS SLOW, so go with that in mind..there is an english menu....

i also like gourmet gallery, which is neither formal nor informal, just plain good western food...it is on a soi which begins with the letter "P" off of soi 39, sukumvit road...you must take a taxi...it is sort of behind a shop on the p soi and there is a medium size parking lot between the two buildings...call for specific directions...the food is supurb!!! make sure to have the onion soup with the crust hat...filet is delicious...desserts are like european treats at their best....comfortable and delicious....

normandie at the oriental for the special nite?? we also lke jesters in the penn...we usually do it our last nite in bkk....expensive asian fusion with a view....

the italian in the shangra-la is reported to be excellent as well
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM

bed superclub may still be the "coolest" place in town.. you are served meals in a bed. and at 10 or so it turnes into night club . the decore is said too be ultra futeristic.

I have yet too go. I cant seem too find the place..
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM
epi

Rhkkmk,
We will be in bangkok in 3 weeks at the Sheraton and plan to go to Harmonique. Is it on the Sheraton side of the river or the Penn side?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM

epi-when you're at the Sheraton, I suggest that you try the Galery Cafe which is right around the corner. Right out of lobby, left on Soi, it will be 2/3 of the way towards New Road on your right. Harmonique is on the BKK side, same as the Sheraton. Have fun.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:15 PM
epi

Thanks. Is it Thai food?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I haven't been to the Face Hazara in Bangkok, but the one in Shanghai was here first (run by the same people), and it's one of our FAVORITE restaurants! It gets written up all the time and is always packed. GREAT decor and great food. They have some info on the one in Bangkok and it looks just as good. Highly recommended, if you can take my recommendation-by-association . . .
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your thoughts. If anyone cares to add, much appreciated.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I really enjoyed the Bed. Great menu and service. It's a truly unique experience. Can't help you with any of the others though.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM

as gpanda has said, harmonique is on the oriental side of the river just off of new road....another landmark is that it soi is almost next to the general postoffice on new road as i remember...10 minutes of less walk from sheraton....in much the same neighborhood as the gallery cafe, but slightly more hidden....this is a middle east neighborhood today....very interesting...
ask at the penn how to go if you leave from their boat dock on the city side...or go to oriental or sheraton piers....
harmonique is thai food as is gallery cafe....not the gallery gourmet that i wrote to you about which is continental food (off sie 39 sukumvit rd)
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Have tried BED SUPERCLUB and BHAN KHANNITA. Bed is ultra-modern and is the coolest place in town. You eat while plopped (or rather seated) on a bed. Food was very good (for nouvelle cuisine in ASIA) but given that I live in NY City where standards are very high, I would say that the food was just good. Bhan Khannita is always good. Very traditional THAI that is frequented by expats. Also, try the buffet lunch at The Oriental where you have to use a boat to get you to the restaurant. Food there is always good!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:25 AM

I have been to all. Bed is a must do - is a dining exp. U MUST book in advance as they get sold out esp on weekends. Women are advised not to wear skirts as can be uncomfy reclining on a first floor mattress. Menu is always a surprise so tell them when u reserve if anyone in the group is veg, allergic to anything, etc. Mahanaga has great ambience and good food. Unsuitable for vegetarians. Fusion Thai i.e. Thai-ish preparations but plated so individually served. Not good for sharing food. Lots of seafood. Face Hazra u have a choice of Ind and Thai. Is on 3 levels - Thai on 1, bar on 1 and Ind on 1. Baan Khanitha ambience compared to all the others is nothing very diff but food is decent, Thai food.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Gallery Cafe is Thai food.