Do-it-yourself visa photos?

Dec 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Do-it-yourself visa photos?

It looks like my daughter and I will need at least four photos each for our coming trip - two for the Laos visa, one for the Cambodia visa, one for the Angkor pass. Can I just make these using my own digital camera and computer? I have a decent printer and can print 4 photos per 4x6 piece of photo paper. If I use a paper cutter to trim them to 2x2inches(or 3cm x 4cm??) will that be good enough? I'll use a plain white background with a head-on face and head/shoulders shot. Anyone done this? It seems it would be much cheaper - even AAA apparently charges about $7 per photo.
Thanks!
Karen
Dec 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I have made multiple copies of an old visa photo using my scanner and used them several places--one being Siem Reap. So you should have no problem.
Dec 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM

The following web site is the USA standard for passport/visa photo. The countries that you will visit may not require this high standard, but the site might give you the general idea.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Hi-

I made my own visa photos for my husband and myself when we went to Cambodia in 2002 and had no problems. Just make sure they adhere to the size specs and you should be fine.
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Jed

We just came back from Cambodia. I used my digital camera to make photos of my self and my wife, just as you described. When finished, they looked as good as any, and were accepted for Cambodia visas and Ankor Wat passes.

In general, if they look somewhat like your psssport photos, it should not be a problem. After all, they just want to see what you look like.
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM

usa requires a certain weight of paper for the photos...

i get mine at AAA

you can have them done at any camera shop in usa or very cheaply at any camera shop in bangkok....

i would not want to arrive in a visa line only to be told my pics were not sufficient....i do note the personal experiences above however...

take the money you are saving on the laptop and buy good visa pics...
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Just follow the guidelines on the government site as recommended by tatersalad. We've used such photos for Cambodia, Laos and also for our Australian passports (of course following specific directions for the Aussie needs). They will be more than you need quality wise for both Laos and Cambodia. Just make sure that they aren't too dark and that you get the proportion of head and shoulders right and not too much space around you.

By the way because they are cheap this way I always carry a few spares just in case.
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM

I just did it for our Vietnam visas with no problem. I don't have a photo printer, so I had mine printed at the local drugstore one hour photo processing. It cost 29 cents per photo, and to get the proper size, you want to put four photos with some white border around each on a 4x6 inch paper. I took a bunch of extra photos to Vietnam with me on the recommendation of folks on various message boards, but didn't need them.

I am intending to use the same photos for my China visa.

Agree with the poster above that you want your photos to come out roughly the same size and configuration as the ones in your passports, same proportion of head, shoulders, and white space, etc.