Are we mising anything?

Dec 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Are we mising anything?

We've been to Bangkok 4 times before, but never to Chiang Mai or Khao Lak. We are not shoppers. We are travelling with an experienced 8 year old girl. Travelling from Japan so jet lag is not an issue. 3 round trip tickets from Nagoya to BKK were free with NWA miles. We tend to take vacations one day at a time, planning the day in the morning (or maybe the night before)...so all the things listed aren't necessarily going to get accomplished. Exceptions to our planning rule...John Gray Sea Canoe, Elephant Camp and Ko Kred are reserved on specific days. Otherwise, we're free to do nothing at all should we want to.

Dec 23 arrive late, Conrad Bangkok, free night with HHonors points.
Dec 24 - 28 Chiang Mai...arrive lunchtime. Yaang Come Village
While there...
- Oasis spa
- Doi Sutthep/Doi Puri National Park
- Night Market
- Cooking class - it's a maybe
- Mae Rim Hilltribe Museum
- Old Chiang Mai Arts Centre/Kantoke Dinner - also maybe
- Wat Chedi Luang
- Wat Pra Singh
- Sunday walking street
- Visit from Santa - should be interesting to coordinate
- Insect museum - don't ask
- Craft workshops...another maybe, depends on our mood
- Relax

December 28 - 30 Elephant Conservation Center - 3 day mahout program

December 30 - 31 Yaang Come Village again...relax, spa, night market again if we liked it first time around

December 31 - January 6 Khao Lak Merlin Resort, Khao Lak...arrive on flight from Chiang Mai just after lunch
While there...
John Gray Sea Canoe Hong by Starlight trip
Spa (in hotel)
National park walking
Relax

January 6 - 9 Conrad Bangkok...3 free nights with HHonors points
While in Bangkok...
- Jim Thompson House...not been there yet
- Ko Kred island - private excursion by bicycle with van support (and reasonable price) finishing with Klong tour and Wat Arun on the way back
- Joe Louis puppet theater/Suan Lum market
- Spa - I'm going to check the spa in the Conrad, and if it isn't too pricey I'll use it for ease...if it's a really spendy place maybe I'll give Face Spa a try
Relax
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:16 AM
CFW

KimJapan, Sounds wonderful! I think your daughter will love the Old Chiang Mai Arts Centre Kantoke Dinner and hilltribe dancing. There is ok Thai dancing and music during the dinner, but the best part is the hilltribe dancing which is in a barn-like structure that you walk to after the dinner. It's great. You have a lot of time in Chiang Mai, so you may also want to consider an overnight trip to Lisu Lodge, with oxcart rides and river rafting which your daughter may find fun. Do a google search on Lisu Lodge and you will find some of the options they have.

Make sure to do a trip report when you get back. We're going to be staying at Yaang Come Village in February, so we're eager to hear about that and also about the Joe Louis Puppet Theater in BKK, which we're considering. Also, of course like all fodorites we love to hear about restaurants, so let us know about any new finds in Chiang Mai. We loved the Grand Lanna at the Mandarin Oriental, and I've also hear that Fujian, the Chinese restaurant there, is excellent. The settings are exquisite.
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Kim
I'm so happy to see that someone else on this forum is a "seat of the pants" traveler besides me. We never plan for more than a day ahead because our mood might change, or something new and interesting might pop up. I can't travel with every minute of every day already planned out.

I hope you enjoy CM as much as I do. I think we will be going there in Jan for a few days, buying trip. I'm there for the shopping at the markets but do enjoy Doi Suthep and Kantoke dinner show.

I'll be interested in your report on Kao Lak post-tsunami. We were pleased to see that Phuket was rebuilding when we were there in late Sept. Signs of construction were everywhere, but there were still many buildings that had not been touched since last Dec's dreaded day.

Carol
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM

BKK- Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel its connected to the Skytrain- catch the show or you will miss out on a fun evening!
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Sounds great. I also rarely plan every day in advance. I have a list of places I want to see and things I want to do but decide what I'm in the mood for about a day ahead. I think you'll have a wonderful time!
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM

BillT,
Would you recommend the Calypso Cabaret show for an 8 year old child?
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Marcy:
In my opinion there is nothing in this show that would be embarrasing for an 8 year old. Understand that these are female impersonators- but it is a very classy show- no nudity, or foul language.
Its more of a question as to whether an 8 year old would be entertained. The show has a lot of singing and dancing with great costumes. if you decide to go check with the hotel about children attending- they may have a policy on that. And take your camera as you will want to take pictures. After the show the performers line up and you can have your picture taken with them as you leave. Tip them a bit for this- they will appreciate it. Its all good fun really!
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody. Calypso cabaret....Teaghan has seen it on TV and was mildly interested...Japan has some famous TV personalities who are men dressed as and acting like women. With only 3 nights in BKK we're going to give it a miss this time, though maybe sometime in the future we'll try to go. I know that many here rave about it.
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Kim
Try do do the Jim Thompson house around lunch time and after the tour eat lunch there. The restaurant they have is very good and the prices are really reasonable. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Have tons of fun and tell us all about it when you return.
Aloha!

Dec 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea to do JT house and have lunch there. I remember reading here that their lunch was nice.
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Hi Kim,

Your trip sounds great. I am staying at Yaang Come Village from 1/6 to 1/10. Have a great time.

Thanks again for all your help regarding Japan.
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Sorry we will miss meeting you in Chiang Mai. I hope you enjoy your trip! It's been great reading your planning process. I got some good ideas from you.