Digital Camera

Dec 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Digital Camera

I'm taking a digital camera with me to Thailand/Cambodia. Are there many places to upload my pictures onto a cd or should I buy another memory card? The one I have now can hold over 300 pictures, but I know I will take more pictures than that. Suggestions?
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I prefer to take extra cards. If you're out touring temples and your card becomes full, it won't matter how many places there are in town to upload your cards--you're stuck where you are. I always carry three 512MB cards, way more than I'll probably use but I like the insurance that I'll never run out of room and have to decide which pictures to delete.
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Bails:
Get extra memory cards on EBay....they are much cheaper there...sometimes a third of the cost
Aloha!
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM

i take cards enough for 250 pics and often find that not enough....in thailand you will have no trouble having the sticks downloaded but not sure about cambodia...

i go to camera shops to have it done...
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:07 PM

More memory. It is a good value.

At the end of the day, you can download your photos to your laptop hard drive. You can also use your laptop to burn a CD if you want one.
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:32 PM

I think its worth taking extra cards. Laurie is absolutely right - you don't want to run out when you are away from town. There are however places in Siem Reap and lots in Thailand to get the photos burnt to disc. With an extra card you can take lots and lots of pics and decide later which to keep. You can also afford to use the better quality settings on the camera especially for those very important pics - close ups of carvings etc at the temples.

This year we were in Laos again but with a better camera plus our old camera and we also took a small hard drive storage unit (it also plays MP3s so we had some music). You could download the cards into it (ours is 40GB) review them in the evening, check we had good copies and start with fresh cards - we also took about 2.5 GB in cards that we have accumulated!!! I'm sure you won't need to worry about the storage unit but the extra cards are great. We used about 10GB in Laos but were snapping away with very high quality pics so it takes a lot of room.

Although nearly all the photo places are good about downloads to CDs - sometimes they can stuff up and you'll get a bad disc. If you do have shops download for you make sure you check the disc before you leave and don't clear the card until you are sure the disc is okay.