Last-minute misc. Bangkok questions

Dec 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Last-minute misc. Bangkok questions

Leaving a week from tonight and can't wait!!
I do have a couple of misc. questions...

Also would appreciate any thoughts on this rough itinerary. These are the things I mostly want to see and do, but not necessarily in this order.

Mon: arrive AM - afternoon walk around Chinatown
longtail boat rental - late PM.

Tue: AM - Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun
PM - Vimanmek/Marble Temple/Dusit Park area

Wed: Ayuthaya

Thu: Jim Thomson House
Suan Pakkard
downtown/shopping

Questions:
1. On my Nancy Chandler map (which you guys suggested getting, thanks...) there are a couple of narrow klongs that go through central Bangkok that have marked 'Boat Stops.' Can these be used to travel by boat from the downtown area all the way to the river? And/or do they have any practical use for tourists?

2. One thing, however, that is really annoying about this map (aside from the color choices) is that there is no scale of miles, so you have no idea how long any distance is beforehand. For example, how far is it from Grand Palace to Vimanmek? Walking distance or not? What about from Silom Rd. shopping area to Siam Square area?

3. What is the best way to get to Vimanmek Palace and Dusit Park area? Boat? Taxi? If I take a boat, would that be a long walk from the river? I just can not tell anything from this map.

4. I'm trying to pack light - what is the best laundry option around the Peninsula - or would using the hotel be affordable? What about laundries in Chiang Mai?
Dec 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Itin sounds good to me. A bit more than we try to fit in, but we travel with a child who requires pool time equivalent to sightseeing time

Laundry at the Penn...I honestly don't remember the price, but we used it. I've got to say that my husband's linen pants and one of my linen shirts have NEVER looked so good as when they came back from the Penn. They were gorgeous...and you know how linen wrinkles...whatever they did to these clothes was close to a miracle.

Dec 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Take a taxi to and from the V-palace. Most hotels are surrounded by much cheaper support outlets. It's likely that there's a much cheaper laundry alternative within a block or two of the Pen. One suggestion, make suer you take some time each day to relax, pool, massage, Tea etc. This will enhance your journey and allow you time to digest each day's activities.
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I would include wat arun in your klong boat trip. The boat will wait for you and 3 temples in one day is one too many. Vimanmek is definitely NOT walking distance.

Are you arriving jet lagged? if you are, I would do something less taxing on your first afternoon.

And, finally, with only three days I would skip ayyuthya and enjoy bangkok more. Your Tuesday is so crammed you won't be able to enjoy anything.
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:25 AM

If you are looking for other things to cut out, I don't think Vimanmek was worth the time we spent getting there, waiting for the tour, then the tour itself. It is not nearly as impressive as the wats and the golden palace. You've packed in alot of things. I would recommend going to more of the market areas to get a flavor of the city.
Dec 11th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Chiang mai there are tons of laundry places- they charge by the kilo.
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:31 AM

Hi - there might be others that only the locals know about, but the only regular passenger service I have used runs west from a stop to the south of Phetchaburi Road opposite the Pratunam Complex - but not as far as the river. It stops, if I remember rightly, a bit before the Democrary Monument. It does, though, go right by Jim Thompson's House, and I believe there is a boat stop there.

I agree with a previous poster re Tuesday being too busy, and would skip Vimanmek on a first visit.

Bangkok is hot and sticky (as I'm sure you know) - you need some sightseeing down time! You might consider switching the shopping to Tuesday pm - do the a/c malls first, and then around dusk, maybe the pavement stalls that sell crafts.

I'm pretty sure there is a cross-river public ferry from Wat Po to Wat Arun if that appeals. Check with your hotel. Ditto the klong service - in case things have changed.

Have a great trip.
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel.
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help - I realized as I was listing everything that it seemed like too much.
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
CFW

Bill, What's this -- you've switched from touting the Peninsula to touting the Calypso cabaret? LOL
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM

most of the places you mention will be accessible by either boat or taxi or some use of the skytrain and then a taxi....

distances are much further than you can judge from NC...i like her map but it is frustrating....walking from silom to siam would just about do you in....its a long distance and the heat and humidity would kill you...

you have a very aggressive it....its doable....have you considered a driver to assist??

penn laundry will be expensive but there are tons all around bkk....if you walk out to the street near the hotel there will be several...hotel may charge $4 for a shirt and you will pay $1 or less at a local laundry...

i have used a laundry in back of the shangri-la hotel....a soi directly in back of the hotel mid way between entrance to hotel and skytrain...easy for you to get to from penn also...

hotel will give you same day service and street laundry will be 2 day service...
Dec 13th, 2005, 04:18 AM

CFW- yes I have changed as my commission from the Calypso Cabaret is much higher than that which I get from the Peninsula! Also the Penn had refused to name a wing after me so I'm touting the Cabaret until I find a better deal.