Cambodian visa question

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambodian visa question

I have been trying for a few days now to do the Cambodian e-visa, but every time I put in our info. and click "next" It just gets stuck and never moves on. I've given up on the e-visa but need to know if we should bring passport size photos to get our visa quicker when we arrive. I recall someone mentioning that you don't need them anymore, but that may have been for the temples.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM

At Siem Reap airport, if you have photos, they use them for the visa application. If you don't have photos (we did not) they scan your passport photo for the application for a fee (variable, $5 for one, $10 for 3 people in our case, others say $1....). It takes no more or less time either way. When you go to the final counter to actually use your visa and enter Cambodia, they take your photo again with a digital camera (everybody). When we went, those with e-visas were no quicker than those without. The application process was quick, it was the actual immigration counter that took forever, regardless of how you got your visa or what type it was.

You don't need photos for the temple pass either. They take a digital picture and use that...cut down on fraud and reselling of passes.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks Kim. One less thing to worry about - we leave 2 weeks from today!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:11 PM

You don't need the photos for the park pass anymore. Three of us had visa photo, but not my daughter. They just charged us $2US and stapled the money to her application!

We didn't see that the e visa people got through any faster, and I have heard from two people that it took longer and the officials couldn't seem to find the stuff on their computers.

Maybe as they use it more it will get more consistent and efficient.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM

We used an eVisa when we went to Siem Reap back in February. We loved it as we just walked off the airplane and then right through immigration, in about 7 minutes total. It saved us a lot of time compared to the folks who had to queue up for photos, etc.

msf
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:21 AM

I've travelled in and out of Cambodia four times without an e-visa.

Last time I travelled with someone who did. She was out about three minutes before me.

By the time you've faffed around getting the E visa, then come in to Fodor's to share the warmth.. you've used up that missing three minutes anyway.

Dogster's Time and Motion study suggests that, really, you may as well just turn up without the E visa. Not that that'll stop any of you worrying about it...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I'd try again...or e-mail them. Our e-visas saved us at LEAST an hour of waiting in line at the airport...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Heymo: How do you know the other passengers waited at LEAST an hour?

According to your report, you sailed right through and left the airport.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM

With regard to purchasing the visa in Siem Reap, can you pay by credit card or is it cash only? If the latter, I assume they take US dollars like the rest of Siem Reap?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Dunno about the credit card - but U.S. $$ is fine. I'd go for that. They'll be useful in Siem Reap anyway. Everybody takes them.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM

See? I told you you'd get a smack.

I personally carved out the Hippie Trail from London to Australia, flea-pit by flea pit, hashish den by ... well, you get the picture.

Now, if I only remember where it was I went....
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Ooops - perhaps if I posted that last comment in the right place it might make some sense. [I don't think you really want to know about my youthful indiscretions in here....]
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Dogstar...we spoke to another family staying at our hotel who were on the same flight...they told us they had waited over an hour because they didn't have e-visas.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks so much for the reply about being able to pay in US dollars.