COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Do I need a car/driver in Varanasi?

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Do I need a car/driver in Varanasi?

Hi, I am hiring a car for most of our 21 day trip to India, but I was wondering whether I would need to do the same for our 2 nights in Varanasi? Other than getting to and from the airport, it seems most of the sights are near our hotel, Palace on the River. It also appears that the hotel can hire a car if we need one. Also, would we need a car in Khajuraho? Thanks.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM

You really won't need a car in Varanasi. Even if you want to go to Sarnath, you can do that easily locally.

Just do it all thru Palace on the River, lisa.

But get them to pick you up from the airport. E mail them the day before to remind them. It's a walk thru little winding streets from where the car will drop you off. Let them sort you out, others will get confused and you will definately get lost. They will organise someone to carry your bags, don't worry.

Don't know about Khaj.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Lisa We are doing a similar thing. I have arranged a car for most of our 23 days but for Varanasi we have airport transfers & that is it. We were in Khaj a few years ago & we actually walked from our hotel to the temples & around there. It was decent walk because our hotel was not by the temples but we enjoyed doing that. This trip we are not really spending any time in Khaj just driving there from Orchha to fly to Var.

J
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Jules39, who have you hired as a driver/car? Our trip is Dec 18-Jan 8. So you feel that a car is unnecessary in Khaj? Our hotel is next to the temples and we are there for 2 nts. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM

As I said Lisa it has been quite a few years since we were last in Khaj but we were there 2 nights & walked everywhere we wanted to go. We are only passing through Khaj this time to get a flight so we will have our car & driver there. We don't arrive in Delhi until late Jan/Feb.

J