Car and driver

Search

Car and driver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and driver

Hello, we are a Spanish couple travelling by the very first time to India for three weeks in Sept. We would like to travel around Rajhastan and the to jump to Varanassi. The idea is the common one: to hire a car and driver to have the control of the route. Is it the right thing to do? Do you sketch the route in the beginning or can you make changes on the way? Any recommendation?
Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:19 AM

I have been setting up a trip to Rajasthan for next February. Having a car and driver is definitely the right thing to do. There are some cases where it is better to take the train or fly - it depends on how far you are going and the quality of the roads. Drivers will go wherever you want to go (you can make changes) - they are generally paid by the day or by the half-day. You can arrange for a car and driver through your hotel or you can arrange through a travel agency and have the same car and driver for your entire trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Varanasi is a long way from Rajasthan and I would not recommend you drive between the two. You can fly from Delhi to Varanisi in about an hour. From Jaipur you can fly there in about 2 hours connecting through Delhi in most cases.

Use the driver for getting around Rajasthan and then fly to Varanasi. You don't need a car or driver in Varansi, as the city is quite small and all the main sights are within walking distance. You also use a boat for parts to view the temples. A guide is useful.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Sorry, I did not see the rest of your question. You set the itinerary for the trip and you can change it as you want; although the driver may want to be paid more if you make changes that involve much longer driving distances or adding days.

Distances in Rajasthan are huge, so you might consider flying between some of the cities like Jaipur and Udaipur and cities further west. While the desert is pretty, at some point 10 hours in a car seeing only deserts gets tiring, so flying is better.

Rajasthan will be quite warm in Sept (but coolish in the evenings) the car should have airconditioning.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Any recommendation for an agency to rent the car?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM

We are using Compass Tours to arrange our car and driver. E-mail [email protected].
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Hello.
I went to Delhi in May and used a car company that I was very happy with. They offered not only the best rates around but also the gentleman there (his name is Kuldeep:e-mail [email protected]) was fantastic in corresponding via e-mail immediately. He answered all my questions fast. Also, he helped a lot to fit my needs: budget, dates, plans. The cars were clean, on-time and drivers friendly. I used them for Delhi tours and a trip to Agra. They also do trips through Rajistan too, but I didn't have time this trip, but I will use them next time I go.

Also, they didn't require any deposit money for my trip. The prices are in rupees, not dollars, and I paid them in cash after the trip was finished.
You may want to contact them and ask.
Their website is:
http://www.indiarentalcars.com/

Buena suerta y espero que Vds. tengan un viaje fubuloso!

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM

My car and driver were hired for me by a friend posted in Delhi, but the driver was wonderful. I had my trip all planned, but when I saw a turn-off for Shekhawati and its frescoed houses, I asked him to go there, which he willingly did.

And it is not true that you will see desert for 10 hours at a time. I took the train from Delhi to Jaipur. From Jaipur my driver took me to Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur and Udaipur. Another (unplanned) sidetrip was to Khumbalgarh from Udaipur. Never did we travel more than a few hours between cities. From Udaipur I flew back to Delhi.

In Jaipur, unless you are travelling in very great luxury, I can highly recommend the Samode Haveli. Samode Palace outside of Jaipur offers extraordinary lodging and delicious eating. I also visited Amber from Jaipur.

Please don't overlook Agra. The Taj Mahal is unique in the world and uniquely beautiful. And nearby Fatehpur Sikri is well worth a visit.

Nor should you miss Khajuraho. The precinct of the temples with the erotic carvings is one of the best-kept that I encountered: no crowds, no beggars, peaceful and, of course, fascinating.

India is not the easiest country in the world to travel in, but I was doing it as a woman alone and, despite a number of unpleasant incidents, I was still able to derive great pleasure from it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:05 AM

I had posted before but unfortunately all my posts seem to ahve disappeared. U shd plan to do Del-Agra by train, then have a car waiting in Agra. Do Agra-Jaipur-Jodhpur-Udaipur y road. En route agra-Jaipur do Fatehpur Sikri. Udaipur-Varanasi fly. U can make changes on the way but be aware distances are long and u are likely to be travel weary after hot days driving in the dessert (Sept days are still hot) so best to try to have an itinerary.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM

Hi
Please see my post about my recent trip to Rajasthan. You will find my personal recommendations of hotels and places to see.

Hiring a car is the best option for Rajasthan. Only make sure you get what we did - total control over the car; which means we could make changes as we drove ( the only major change we actually made was to stay another night at the lovely Hotel in Deogarh), the driver did not take us to any shop, and we could stop at our option on the way.

After two weeks in Rajasthan, I am a diehard fan of the family run hotels of Rajasthan. We stayed in a number of them and made new friends at each one.