Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car/driver in India - what is the protocol/ettiquite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always travelled as a super-budget traveller in the past and this time we plan to hire a car and driver when we travel next February.

Wannano how this usually works? Let's say you hire the car for 3 weeks -- how early can you start in the day, and when does the driver get to take time off? Can you use the car in the evenings?

Do drivers in India usually have cell phones? How do you contact them if they are staying somewhere else? Do you need to know the day before what your plans are, or can you call (if they have a cell) to set up a time to meet later in the day?

When you go sightseeing --do they usually accompany you or do they stay with the car?

The rates we have been seeing include driver expenses --does that include meals? Can we invite them to join us?

Anything else I should know?

Yes, I have lots of questions but inquiring minds wannano
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:56 PM

The company usually quotes you a price for 8 hours, there is a charge for each extra hour you keep the car. you can start as early as you want. When you are done and wish to return to your hotel, you can ask the driver to come back at a specific hour in the afternoon or evening. The drivers I have used in mumbai have always had a cell phone, but I guess some do not. The last time I was in mumbai, at the end of each day, we would tell the driver to come back the next day at a specific hour. If we were not sure, we would call the rental company and let them know whether we would need the car the next day. When the driver gets to the hotel, he would call the hotel from his cell phone. At least at the taj mahal hotel in mumbai, the drivers park at a specific location. When you get to the lobby of the hotel, you give the door man you car number, and they page your driver.

While we were shopping or sightseeing, the driver waited for us outside. If we were to be at a specific place for 2 to 3 hours, we would tell the driver to pick us up at a specific hour.

The last time we were in Jodhpur, we invited our driver to dinner and he took us to a local place and had dinner with us. Other times, we have invited them and they have declined.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:34 AM

Hi Wannano – there are 2 ways u can hire a car. Hire for a day (max limit of 8 hrs and 80 kms) or for a duration where u pay per kilometer. If u plan to stay in the same place (say Delhi), you can let the driver go at night and call him at a specified time the next morning. You can start at any time during the day. The driver gets his time off whenever u r shopping, visiting a monument, eating, sleeping etc. Use the car whenever u want to. Usually drivers will have cellphones. They usually stay with the car and maybe u need to pay for his meals – u don’t HAVE to pay for his meals tho…(ideally give him cash – Rs 50 and let me go n have his food on his own)

And if u wannano anything else - lemmeno
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Hi
The best way to organise this is -

The rate per day would be in the region of USD 30 per day (a bit more if its AC)This would include drivers fees, usage of car with gas upto 200kms per day parking and toll and road taxes. Inter state charges would have to be paid extra which varies from state to state.
You could start as early as want. Preferably by around 800pm as he would need to be refreshed for the next day. Just see to it that he gets sufficient rest. Car could certainly be used in the evenings. Most drivers carry a cellphone nowadays. Most outlying hotels eg hill stations provide accomm for the drivers but some in th ecities will not. You could either arrange for a pickup at your hotel at a predetermined time or he could call you or if he has a cell.... It would certainly be helpful if the driver had a idea what you plan to do the next day as he could pace out your itinerary for the day instead of rushing around. The driver normally stays with the vehicle as you need your privacy and again to protect your possessions you may have left in the car - as he is responsible.
The rate I quoted above includes his daily meals which honestly is very basic fare You could occassionally invite him to join you but for the most its better to maybe give him Rs 50-100 (USD1-2)for his food. This is optional.
Its always advisable to hire drivers from a reliable agency The cost maybe a dollar more but you certainly will have a safe and hazzle free trip as the drivers are screened thorougly with regrds their driving skills, knowledge of the roads, their background, personal habits, personality and communication skills.
Trust you have what you need
Need more info drop a line at [email protected]
Cheers
Bibiana
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 12:50 AM

Whoops I forgot
The rates quoted above would be for an outstation tour For a local tour the rates would be charged as per 8 hr - 80 kms basis Extra for each hr or km above the limit
Bibiana
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:33 AM

One thing to be wary of with cars/drivers in India is the commissions that the drivers receive. Especially in cities/areas that the driver goes to frequently. Drivers get commissions in stores (and some restaurants) on what you buy, so if your driver is steering you in a particular direction, just be aware. Shops will factor in the commission when negotiating so it affects the price that you receive. Also, our driver kept telling us not to buy things in the less travelled areas we were in, saying things were cheaper and better quality in Delhi and Jaipur (where he would get commissions on what we bought).

I agree that you should hire through a reputable agency. Be clear on what the rates include (taxes, tolls, parking, drivers accomodations, fuel). The drivers get a stipend for food and accomodation, which they can choose to spend or not (i.e., sleep in the car). Some hotels in more remote areas have drivers rooms they can sleep in. There would be no reason to give the driver money for his food, but if you want to invtie him to dinner once, that would be a good thing. Tipping is generally 50-100 rupees a day, depending on how much driving is done.