Delhi - Difficult Connect

Oct 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Delhi - Difficult Connect

In a few days my wife and I will arrive at Delhi from Katmandu at 5.30 pm and we then depart from the International Airport for Bangkok at 3.30am the following morning on CX. What is the best place to go to get some rest ? Radisson has been recommended. Any others offering better option for short stay ? We are very tired having been trekking for several days.
Oct 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Who booked this crap connection for you? There are a dozen easier ways to connect those two cities. Gawd, there are direct flights every day. You've managed to turn an easy three hour flight into a fifteen hour plus ordeal. Congratulations. lol lol lol. I suppose there's a really good reason.

By the time you get anywhere it'll be 7.00 p.m., you'll have to leave again by midnight to get back to the airport [going out thru customs and immigration, then back thru customs, immigration and security].

You'll end up sitting in international no-man's-land at the airport, I fear. Let's hope Cicerone answers. She'll be nicer. Delhi airport seems to change hourly. Maybe they have sleeping rooms... don't hold you breath.
Oct 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM

I agree that the first thing you should try to do is change your flight, preferably to Thai Airways flight TG 320 which goes daily between Katmandu and Bangkok (on Fridays and Mondays there is an additional daily flight, TG 336). There also are better connections even if you have to take Air India, like through Varanasi where you can connect to a Thai flight with only a 1.5 hour layover in Varanasi. (What 3:30 am departure from Delhi to Bangkok are you on? The Cathay flight?)

If you cannot change your flights, then the Radisson would be a good option, you might also try the Grand Hotel which is not a US chain and may be a bit cheaper, see http://www.thegrandnewdelhi.com (There is also a Grand Hotel Intercontinental in Connaught Circus in downtown New Delhi, so don't confuse the two.)

I would also look at Lonely Planet and see what they recco near the airport.

Another thought is rather than getting a room, that you book a spa appointment at the Trident Gurgoan, see http://www.tridenthotels.com/gurgaon/index.asp which would give you the opportunity to stow luggage, take a shower and change and then you could also have a meal there, which all in all should take up quite a bit of your time. (Not to mention having a massage before getting on a long-haul flight which is always a good thing.) To the best of my knowledge, non-hotel guests can make spa bookings but do check with them. I would make like 7:30 pm spa booking, then have dinner at like 10 pm in the coffee shop which has buffet and a la carte Indian and western (They also have a quite nice but more expensive Indian restaurant). You need to leave for the airport at like 12:30 am.

There is a spa at the Uppals Orchid which is not as nice but which may work as well, see http://www.theorchidhotelnewdelhi.com/. They usually have free transfers from the airport, which would be good if you could get that included in a spa package.

There may be a spa in the Radisson or The Grand where you could do the same thing.

As dogster indicates above, the problem you may have is that the int'l terminal is under renovation and lots of things, like the retiring rooms, have been closed. The retiring rooms (i.e. sleeping rooms) may have re-opened at this point, I have not been through the airport myself in about 4-5 months, perhaps the website gives some advice, see http://www.newdelhiairport.in/. Last time I was there, the single restaurant and the internet place which used to be there were closed, so my fear is that is still the case and you will have literally nothing to do and almost no place to sit (chair seating was limited). But perhaps I am wrong and you will find that new bits have been opened and it is more like Mumbai int’l terminal.
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer redemption unfortunately so no other options.
Thank you all for your suggestions and particularly the spa idea. We will get someone back home in Sydney to contact the hotel directly and investigate. You are probably right in that we should forget about sleeping
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Do you have a visa for India?
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Sorry to say it, Good_Will, but I suspect the only thing that has put you in this situation is your own lack of forethought, smart planning, mingyness and general all-round failure to attend. So you'll just have to sit on your bum in Delhi as penance.

Then you can join the elite Fodor's club: Experts After The Event. There's a surprisingly small Australian contingent, tho'. Maybe we never learn...

Actually jules, I think there's a 24 hour transit visa thing on arrival for India, but I may be having a brain-snip.
Oct 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Visa Exemptions now apply up to 90 days as we understand. No, we did our research but unfortunately had to do all this while travelling with others, using certain aircraft and the need to arrive home on a certain date
Oct 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Dog the 24 hr thing does ring a bell now you mention it. Good Will what do you mean by a 90 day exemption??? You don't need a visa if you are going for 90 days or less?????

J
Oct 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Yup, I don't get this 90 day biz either. Clearly they don't have a visa. It doesn't matter, anyway - all the above is academic. They'll just stay on the floor for hours and hours, in transit inside Delhi airport, somehow thinking this is the way to travel. Sigh.

My calculations put their travel time, hotel room in KTM to hotel room in BKK at twenty-two hours. Good luck might shave two hours off that; bad luck may add a couple. Congratulations. I think it's a record. Will we tell them about the departure lounge in Kathmandu airport yet?

Nahhh. They've had enough bad news already.
Oct 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM

A transit visa to India is good for 3 days, and is for the purpose of transiting through India between flights or trains, etc as Good_Will is doing. However, to the best of my knowledge, India does not grant visa-free entry/exemptions to the nationals of any country. Even citizens of Commonwealth countries, like Australia, are required to obtain a visa before they arrive in India. So I also don’t understand the comment above about a “90 day exemption. Good_Will, you will need a visa if you plan to leave the airport in New Delhi, see http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...w/Advice/india.
Oct 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Cicerone that is exactly the info I knew also. Being Australian & about to send off the $$ for my Indian visa I did another search in case the rules had changed & I didn't have to but no I found all the same info. I am curious about the 90 day thing.