Mumbai to BKK

Jun 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Mumbai to BKK

Originally we were going to fly JFK-NRT hop on a Air Japan flight to BKK. Because we are using Buddy passes we are flying Delta. Seems have to change in Atlanta for NRT. We can go direct JFK to Mumbai and then Air India to BKK which is actually 2 hours shorter flight than from Narita. So question is anyone fly Air India from Mumbai to Bkk and if so how is that route? Thanks in advance
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Given a choice I would rather stay in Atlanta airport (even for two extra hours) than Mumbai airport.
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Do a search here on Air India. There have been some recent posts about it.
Jun 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I have been flying between Bangkok and Mumbai for the last three years, most recently in January, and it has always been a Thai International flight code sharing with Air India.

Getting there is fine, the flight back is the worst flight I have ever done, I would do anything to avoid it. Nothing to do with the airline, just the times that the flight operates.

As Kaneda says, you do not want to spend time in Mumbai airport, unless you have access to the Air India lounge. One flight last year there was a body laying in the departure area for over an hour -- I kidd you not!
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM

If it is actually an Air India plane, I would not do it. I would first have my doubts that the aircraft would take off in time either from JFK or more certainly from Mumbai. Air India's on-time record is not good. So you may lose the 2-hour advantage. Their aircraft tends to be quite old and not comfortable, although I believe they do use their newest aircraft for the JFK route, so it may be OK actually. Mumbai airport is not like any other international airport you can imagine, and even the "business class lounge" is not like anything you would want to spend any appreciable amount of time in, and if you had to be in the general waiting area, there is absolutely nothing to do or see (no shops, restaurants, etc, bring a book and hope your ipod battery is still working). I would agree that Atlanta airport is far preferable.

If the flight is a code share with another airline like Thai at least the aircraft would be OK, you would still have the layover issue. I can only put it this way: I live in Hong Kong and fly to Indian 1-2 times a month. I always have a choice of taking a non-stop Air India flight or a flight on Cathay, Thai etc which requirs a change. I always take Cahtay or Thai, even though the flights take longer and require a change.
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Cicerone, itwould be Delat Biz to Mumbai and then I was looking at Thai Air to BKK. It's a bit cheaper than from Tokyo plus 2 hours less in the air. Plus I would have to cahnge in ATL to Tokoyo.