Delhi flights and fog question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand Delhi is prone to morning and evening fog in December. So is it better to book a Jet Air flight from Delhi to Udaipur at 5:45 am and hope it leaves on time or within two hours? verses hanging around an airport hotel for Jet Air's 2 PM flight (they have only 2 flights a day)?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM

If it were me, I'd hang out at the Imperial or other Delhi Hotel and not an airport hotel. I would take the 2 PM flight instead of getting up REALLY early to be at the airport at 4:45 AM and find out that your flight is delayed/cancelled. Traffic in Delhi is not bad at mid-day and you'll be much happier taking things at a slower pace.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM

I agree with Craig; it is precisely those early morning flights that have the fog problems. The fog settles in starting in the evening after sunset when temps drop, and then sits on the ground during the night until some hours after sunrise when the sun have dried things out. That is why early morning and late evening flights are prone to delays. I would take the afternoon flight. I agree traffic would probably not be too much of an issue getting to the airport, take whatever advice the hotel offers on when you should leave for the airport.

I can’t tell from your latest message what your itinerary is, I don’t know if you will already be in Delhi, or if you are arriving from another flight the day before or by car from Agra, etc. If the latter, if you are really only overnighting in Delhi before your flight to Udaipur, you might consider staying out at the Trident Hilton Gurgaon, a lovely hotel quite near the domestic airport, maybe 20 minutes tops. This would save you much time to the airport for the 2 pm flight, and you could just relax for the morning at their pool and great spa. There is nothing of note in the neighborhood, but the hotel is quite a Muhgal masterpiece.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

We are arriving in Bangkok from LA, spending 3 days on the beach, then flying Bangkok to Paro for 10 days in Bhutan.
We fly in to Delhi from Paro on a Sunday. Taking the 2 PM flight on Monday means losing much of the day in Udaipur but it sounds like we risk losing it in flight delays or cancellations anyway.
If we arrive in Udaipur at 3:30 Monday, we have all day Tuesday and Wednesday in Udaipur. Thursday am, we start early for Kumblalgarh, overnighting at Deogarh Mahal. Following morning drive to Ranakpur and on to Jodhpur by late afternoon Friday. Saturday and Sunday am we spend in Jodhpur. Take Sunday 2:35 PM flight to Delhi and overnight. Monday we fly to Varanasi and stay until Wednesday, when we take an afternoon flight back to Delhi and on to Bangkok.
I just found out that the non-stop flight from Varanasi to Bangkok is being discontinued this month so we have an additional flight and schlepping.
Does this plan sound reasonable?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Take the 2pm flight. I had an evening flight on American last December and was delayed by 24 hours due to fog, and stuck in that awful airport. Worst travel experience ever.