Daily budget..

Sep 10th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Daily budget..

I'm getting lots of mixed results when asking about a daily budget for Thailand.. My wife and I are planning a budget holiday and expect to do things in a budget way. We've already planned up to 750Baht just for accomodation per night. Would a daily budget of 1500-1750baht be reasonable? We're there for 20 days, with at least 5 spent being lazy on a beach.

Thanks
Sep 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM

750 Baht is about $19 US - thats pretty budget oriented- I'm not sure what that will buy you in the way of safe, clean accomodations.
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM

It's possible to do. However, I'd recommend that you post on the Lonely Planet Thorntree site, as it's more oriented toward backpackers and budget travelers. The regulars on this board know more about higher-priced options.
Sep 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM

I agree with Kathie - try Lonely Planet and adult hostel guides (depending on your age).
The following is a budget hotel in Bangkok riverside area. Good location (between The Oriental and Sheraton Orchid) for around $20/night. The last link is to reviews. The first one is not too positive, but the rest indicate a good budget hotel.

WOODLANDS INN
http://www.woodlandsinn.org

http://www.r24.org/kohsamui.org/bang...dsinn/reviews/

Outside of the bigger tourist areas I think it's easier to find places in your price range.
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM

A lot depends what time of year you are going, especially on the islands, for example Phuket rates between November and April when the weather is decent could be 3-4 times rates in the low season. I would edge your daily rate to the B 900 range and that should get you a/con with own h+c shower/wc without problem.
What really eats into a budget is travel, unless to plan in advance. You can fly around very cheap as long as you book in advance, you can get great deals on Thai Air Asia and Nok Air for example. Time of year will really dictate accommodation costs a great deal, at the moment you could get an a/c twin room in a clean and comfortable place on Phuket for anything from B 500 a night no problem, but try that during high season and the rates would be say B B 800-1,000.
Avoid wasted shopping, buy things that you really want and need and don't load yourself up with stuff that you will just junk when you get home, and don't go buying loads of souvenires for friends/relatives that will probably be junked also.
Whenit comes to eating everyone will tell you about B 20 dishes from street stalls but you can also do well on food if you watch prices carefully.
I would plan your travel well in advance, try and pick up cheap air fares and astick to a mazimum of say 3 places. If you want to get some jungle time you can save by heading to the River Kwai area from bangkok which is just a couple of hours bus ride, no need to go all the way north to Chiang mai or similar. Time of year also dictates where to stay. But even if it's high season if you plan ahread B 750 will get you an a/c room just about though it won't be near the beach. There is a great deal of accommodation available. If you are staing somewhere for 7 days always ask politely with a beaming smile if they could knock a little off the room rate for you. Make sure breakfast is included and fill up!! Buy B 4 bottled water, just as good as B 15-18 stuff. Don't be averse to popping into a McD and fill up for B 90 for a meal and drink. Plan accommodation and plan travel and you should be fine, and avoid wasted shopping!!
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:48 AM

James A gives good solid advice - but.....I would be very careful about eating stall food- its a risk- a lot of times you will probably be ok but then again all it takes is one bad experience to put a serious damper on your vacation.
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I agree to be careful on food overall, a friend recently git food poisoning ( not from a food stall but a decent restaurant ) and it can be serious, and that applies anywhere you travel. Your stomach is used to certain foods, so do take care. I always say be very gentle on your stomach and don't throw too many strange things into your stomach, let it adjust slowly, plenty of bread and simple items like cereals.
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM

JB...what your itinuary. it;s verry duable. $35-$40 doller per day is always my budger when ever I travel around the world. and in thailand I got a lot more for the buck.. 750baht/1750baht in the backpacer world in thailand is kind of a lot of money.

Sep 13th, 2004, 07:08 PM

JAMEes. that funny.. at home USA I never go too Mcdonalds. I hate the place. but when Im traveling, mc D's and KFC keeps my alive. it's fairly cheep verrry filling greesy food that, I burn quicly with my traveiling style.