1st time to thailand

Search

1st time to thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time to thailand

I am traveling to thailand for the month of november and i have a few questions. We plan on backpacking and traveling the country our general itinerary is
1. Bangkok to chang Mai, with a stop in sukhothai and lopburi.
2. then to the east coast and stops at ayuthaya, khorat, khone kaen, nong khai and ubon ratchathani.
3. and then down to the islands, either krabi or phuket.

The travel plan is purly tenative since we are backpacking. First i am wondering if anyone may have advice on any places that i had missed or that i should see.
2. Any advice on must see's in these areas?
3. Which islands do you suggest?
4. how far in advance should i make reservations for midrange hotels/bus if i only have a rough itinerary? how far should i reserve plane tickets to the islands?
5. Any suggestions for hotels to stay at for 600-1200 Baht in these areas?

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM

Make your plane reservations as soon as possible. You may be able to change the dates easily.

For hotels, check out Sawadee.com or Huahin.20m.com. Many here have booked through these websites.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM

How much time do you have?

Express buses go pretty much 'everywhere' and no need to book, but just avoid Friday and Sunday evenings/nights as these naturaly when a lot of people go place to place.
Your budget should be fine, only Krabi/Phuket will you ned to 'downgrade' accommodation somewhat within that range.
You would get a/con, Shower/wc, probably tv and refrigerator within that range easily, maybe even a pool.

The important thing though is how much time, if you have a month fine, but if it's a couple of weeks, and being first trip you would need to cut some places.
Budget airlines operate to Krabi and Phuket from Bangkok, cheapest seats go first, so plan on getting flights booked first.

This give a very brief 2 mins summary of getting around, also has bus and train links and also the budget airlines websites so you can begin to get ideas.
http://www.beachsiam.com/thailand.html

You can use bus heading north, for budget but bookable browse through the Isan and Central/North destinations at least to get a feel for what you get for your money.
http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/hotels/

Once you are over the B 600 a night range don't feel you need to look for real budget/hostel sorts of places, up closer and around 1,200 you can stay quite comfortable. In Krabi/Phuket there are guesthouses and B&B which offer a/con comfort, so the good thing is don't think you need to head looking for hostels, often they can be just a few dollars less than a much better place.

Fix your flight points first. A lot of time can be taken up when using buses to/from places so the time you have is very important.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

A general tip: Whether arriving at a hotel, getting a bus ticket, whatever, put on your widest beaming smile and ooze charm and friendliness to everyone you encounter and things just 'float along smoothly'.
Leave your stress and worries behind ( but 'not' common sense and sensible 'awareness' ) and you will have a trouble free trip.
If something doesn't work in a hotel room don't storm to reception demanding instant action, stretch that wide smile, speak quietly and things will be sorted.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM

for budget travel around these areas, you should really check out Travelfish.org, including their bungalow and guesthouse reviews - plenty in your price range (more expensive on the beach).

If you're going to fly to the islands, you need to buy tickets asap. Discount airlines are cheap in advance. Check out Nok Air and Air Asia. Also, consider Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways discovery passes, which you can use to fly back from Bangkok from Chiang Mai and then to and from the islands.