Current weather on Phuket

Dec 30th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Current weather on Phuket

Our trip is fast approaching and we have been watching the 10 day forcasts for Bangkok , Phuket and HongKong. So far the weather on Phuket looks awful! We have three more weeks until we arrive on the island but I thought it would be calmer and sunnier at this point. Is this an unusual weather pattern for this time of year? The satellite picture is most unsettled. We booked the middle of Jan. thinking there would be mostly blue skies and calm water. Can anyone living there comment on this please!
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM

The best website for historical data on weather is www.weatherbase.com

Dec 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM

Laurelie where are you getting your information about weather and surf? I looked at the Weatherbase.com forecast, and it looks good, but you've got me worried! We'll be just north of Phuket in mid-january, so I'd love to find out more.
Thanks,
Temple
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Temple, I have been getting updates from weather.com, watching the 10 day forecast and the satellite picture both of which looks not great. However..................found a great website from this post jamie-monk.blogspot.com written daily from a person living on Phuket. He does weather reports and pictueres everyday and I feel much better!
We will be in Thailand mid Jan. as well. Are you concerned about the recent bombings in Bangkok? We are only there for three days but I'm afraid our insurance won't cover us if Canada issues a travel warning which they just did. I think we are just going to wait a few days to make any decisions. We have been planning this trip for months so I hope everything worls out.
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM

note that weatherbase.com is a record of the weather in the past, weather.com gives current weather and current predictions.

January is typically a good time to visit the Phuket area in terms of weather. There are no guarantees, however.
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:41 PM

Something important to note: weather.com is a horrible predictor of weather in Thailand--most notably in the South. When we went in November, if I had listened to weather.com's forecast we would've been stuck in non-stop rain showers for the entire 5 days on Phi Phi Island. Luckily for us (and the entire region) it rained once and was bright, sunny and beautiful! Don't know who they have doing their forecasts--but whomever it is, they should be fired.
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:06 PM

I have posted this before. I find
www.wunderground.com
to be the best weather site.
And of course for Phuket specific info Jamie Monk
Jan 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM

Hi,

My name is Jamie - I noticed this forum coming up in my web stats, so hello! For weather, the best place to look is my weather blog:

phuket-weather.blogspot.com

My main Phuket blog referred to previously is good for other stuff - where to go, restaurants, hotels - all based on what we (me and the wife) like. We tend to keep off the main tourist beaches, but there are quiet spots all over the island.

Cheers, Happy New Year and enjoy Phuket!