Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Chesa Swiss Restaurant at the Peninsula HK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any experiences? Looking for a restaurant for a more Western dinner one night... Thought we'd have drinks at the Felix and dinner at Chesa. There is not much information about Chesa on the web. Anyone been there for one of the set lunches or for dinner?
TIA
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I used to live in Switzerland and have eaten at the Chesa. I thought it was very good, I just have a hard time having Swiss food when it is 85 degrees out and 80 percent humidity. It's a bit hearty for the weather here, except maybe in Feb and March. (The Swiss only eat fondue in the winter, tourists eat it all year...) There are so so many good western restaurants in Hong Kong, what type of cuisine are you looking for? Swiss food is just so heavy and let's face it, it's not really a great world cuisine like French or Italian, of which there are many excellent examples in Hong Kong.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Cicerone. We will be there in March, and I hope it will not be too hot.
I think Chesa is just what we're looking for-- with your review as well as a few on the TA forums, I will put it at the top of my list.
We have very good French and Italian food where we live and I just like the look and sound of Chesa. Oh, and I *love* cheese fondue!
Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.
Liz
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Cicerone,

I have another HK restaurant question for you (or anyone else who is reading this post).

Our final night in HK, my parents will be meeting up with us. We are staying at the Salisbury YMCA; they are on Cunard's Queen Victoria cruise.

Where would you suggest we dine? We would like a nice view, but nothing too stuffy. I think something in Kowloon would be best.

I was considering a cocktail cruise on the Aqua Luna followed by dinner at Aqua... Good idea? Something else?

We'd like to keep it under US$100 per person if possible.

Thank you!
Liz
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ooh - I'll be looking forward to the responses you get. I'm also staying at the Salisbury YMCA in March and have one night free for a special dinner.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM

instead have dinner in the main french/continental restaurant....gabby's....its fantastic....don't look at prices just order what you want....

soups are a special service treat...
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:11 AM

I think rhhmk is referring to Gaddi's, which is indeed a lovely restaurant. It's quite formal, so it may not meet the first criteria; I would not call it stuffy, but it is a bit dressy, white linen tablecloths and crystal, etc. Also, IMO it does not have the best view you could have from Kowloon restaurants or those in the Penn, IMO that would clearly belong to Felix, on the top floor, which you may want to consider, as that is much more informal, more modern sleek design. Good food as well. However, I am not really comfortable saying that at either you could keep it under US$100 per person to be perfectly honest, if that budget excludes drinks/wine then I think it would be OK, and with 3 courses. (And by the way, Chesea is going to be expensive for the fondue as you are eating it in the Penn)

I think your choice of one of the restaurants at 1 Peking Road is a good one. I like Hutong a lot, but the others are good too. Any of these would have the view, the informality and would fit the budget.

The Aqua boat is a fine idea, I just don't know about March, it could be quite foggy, cool, etc you might want to play it by ear. (It's apparently 48 F today, I am in Bangkok, and don't look forward to returning to the cold rain tomorrow in Hong Kong...Also, as your parents will already have been on a boat (WHAT a great trip they are on!) for a while, maybe they want to stay on dry land, so if you get a cold night I would not worry too much about that.

Two restaurants in hotels on the Kowloon side which have nice views (could actually be right OVER the QEII would be the Pierside in the Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers
(http://www.sino-hotels.com/The_Royal...n/default.aspx) or Cucina in the Marco Polo Hotel (http://www.cucinahk.com/) Cucina has western and Chinese, it’s more on the pricey side, and you may be able to see prices on the websites. The views are quite nice, thou IMO not nearly as spectacular as you are going to get from Hutong/Aqua or a place like Felix.

I like Habitu the Pier right on the water by the Star Ferry on the Kowloon side, however, it may be a bit too casual for what you are looking for, but it does have a nice view and good food and is definitely in the budget. They don’t have a website, but are at Shop 63 Ground Floor, Ocean Terminal Tel: 852-3101-0901. Your parents will be docking in this terminal building.

A new restaurant which just opened on the Hong Kong side, but right on top of the Star Ferry Pier is Watermark. I have not been, but it is getting pretty good reviews. It would have very nice views of both sides of the harbour. It may fit your budget better than the Penn restaurants. http://www.igors.com/

Also on the Hong Kong side but basically at the Star Ferry as well (in the IFC Mall) would be Harlan’s, very good food, not stuffy, very nice view (not the same or as good as the higher elevation Kowloon restaurants but still nice), http://www.harlans-ifc.com/serv_menus.php

Another place to consider that is not at all stuffy and has a great view and good food would be ToTT's Asian Bar and Grill. This is on the Hong Kong side and is down in Causeway Bay, so would give you an opportunity to see another part of town. For sure get a window table, as they really are the best. This is a fun relaxed place. Asian-fusion. Should fit the budget. It’s in the Excelsior Hotel
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/517000040.asp

If you do get a clear night, please don’t rule out the possibility of going to the Peak for dinner. Favourite there would be Pearl on the Peak, may be just outside the budget, more in the budget and perfectly fine if not fantastic food would be Café Deco http://www.cafedecogroup.com/cafed/v_deco.asp
(Ask for a window table absolutely or there is no point). Pearl on the Peak has no website, is at Level 1, Peak Tower, 128 Peak Road, tel: 852-2849-5123

Finally, I will throw out there that since your folks are on the QE II I am going to assume that they can get a table at the China Club and you might want to consider going there. Not at all stuffy, very good food, interesting décor, and a chance to rub shoulders with the great (if not so good) of Hong Kong. The restaurant itself does not have a view, but they have a very nice bar (the Long March Bar) and a little terrace in the library there that has some nice views. The 1930’s art deco Shanghai style décor of the place, the ambience, the food, etc may make up for the lack of a view. There is a guy who makes the long noodles at your table, etc. It’s a private club, but from what I understand concierges at good hotels can get guests in, and I can’t imagine that the QEII can’t do this.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you very much!
I am going to investigate these options and share some ideas with my mother (who is already on the ship!)
I will post back with more questions if I have them or after our trip to let you know what we chose.
Thanks again.