Yu restaurant in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a long hard search, I finally found a hotel room for March 29. Now, I'm looking for that perfect restaurant for our ONE night in Hong Kong. I've seen several recommendations regarding the Yu restaurant, but I'm a little confused about the actual name, and how to make an online reservation.

I've seen it referred to as "Yu at the Regent", but I'm pretty sure that it's at the Intercontinental at 18 Salisbury Road. If it is at the Intercontental, it should be listed on the Intercontinental web site, but it's not, and I can't find any web site for this restaurant.

We're loking for a really nice restaurant in Kowloon with a great view. Preferably seafood or international cuisine.

Any help (or recommendations for other reaturants) will be appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM

Yu -> Nobu.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've checked and I see that the Nobu has replaced the Yu. Has the Yu moved somewhere else?

rk: Do you have a list of restaurants in Hong Kong like your list of restaurants in Bangkok?

Got a recommendation for me for a restaurant? I'm considering Hutong right now.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM

The Intercontinental Hotel in HK is the old Regent Hotel. It was sold a few years ago.

I have not been to Hutong, but I have been to AquaRoma/AquaTokyo, run by the same people, one floor away from Hutong at One Peking Plaza. You can check it out at www.aqua.com.hk.
I can tell you it was absolutely one of the most memorable dinners I have ever had. The restaurant is sleek and sexy. The view is beyond stunning....it's stupendous. We had a table right up next to the glass and we sat side by side, so both of us were facing out to Kowloon and the light show. With all that going for it, you might expect the food to be average. NOT!! The food and service were both exceptional. Lots of choice, as you can order from either the Italian or the Japanese side of the menu for each course.
Since it's run by the same group, I'm sure Hutong would be equally wonderful, just a different type of cuisine and decor.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Yu is basically just a hotel restaurant. It remained the Yu after the Regent becomes InterContinental quite a few years ago. Only last year did they got Nobu to start a restaurant at the IC, and then used the old Yu space for it.

sssteve - note the screen name difference. I am Ray, rkkwan. Bob is rhkkmk. Two individual posters on this board.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Ray - I stand corrected.

Does the light show happen every night??

At what hour?

How about the Hutang restaurant. it's got some great reviews.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM

8pm every evening. It's pretty mediocre, in my opinion. Not a must see, though some may disagree. During its inaugural visit to Hong Kong last week, Cunard's Queen Mary II made a special trip down to the harbor at the right time to let its passengers see it. [Because of its size, it berthed at the container port.]

But if you ask me, the laser show is a non-factor when it comes to deciding for dinner choices.

Opinions of Hutong is split and very polarized. I've never eaten there, but you'll find people who love it, and you'll find people that says it's so not worth the money.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

what is worth the money with a nice view of the harbor?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Cicerone should have a list of restaurants she recommend. Try search for it on this forum, or wait for her to reply.

I know little about high-end dining.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Just wondering how expensive is the Aqua restaurants (like Hutong) in Hong Kong?

I really hate it when they post the menu on the website but no price. Maybe it is one of those places: if you have to ask for the price, you won't be able to afford it!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM

ray--i am very flattered to be confused with you...
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Yes, very sadly the Yu seafood restaurant in the Intcon has been replaced by a Nobu. The Nobu is quite good and has an excellent view, albeit it is just ridiculously expensive. There is also a Spoon outlet next door which is also very good, has the same very good view and is pretty pricey as well. For the same view at lesser prices, try the Harbourside restaurant downstairs which is their casual restaurant; they have buffet and a la carte.

If you want a restaurant with a view, then some reccos are below. I have posted a restaurant list before, you might hunt around for it; I don’t recall the name of it. There are also many, many excellent restaurants without views (notably M at the Fringe, go to http://www.m-onthebund.com/at_the_fringe or Gaia see www.gaiaristorante.com; but I can understand why for your one night you would want a restaurant with a view.)

I think Hutong is a good choice as there is really not a bad seat in the house, even the little wooden semi-private rooms along the wall have a very good view. At some of the other restaurants, like ToTTs or even Felix, unless you actually have a window seat, the views can be obscured. But Pearl on the Peak (see below) is a good choice too.

Felix in the Peninsula also has an excellent view and very good food and a Philippe Stark decor (including interesting bathrooms). Asian-fusion. This is pricier than Hutong but not as stupidly expensive as Nobu. http://hongkong.peninsula.com

On the other side of the harbour, on top of the Peak there is Pearl on the Peak which is a seafood specialty restaurant which opened a few months ago. This is a branch of the Pearl restaurant in Melbourne. I think it is very good. It is about the same or a bit more expensive than Hutong. The view is really, really excellent, a window table is best, but even the tables one row over have good views; the only table to avoid would be the one over by the air conditioning unit (request one over the tram tracks for maximum views). They have a small outdoor area as well, I think views are better from inside which has huge huge windows.

Pearl on the Peak
Level 1, Peak Tower
128 Peak Road
tel: 852-2849-5123
(no website that I know of)

Up on the Peak with very good views (IF you get a window table) but food that is not as good as the view is Cafe Deco. It is like a better than average TFI Fridays, IMO, with more Asian food on the menu (not a whole lot of seafood on the menu as I recall). But a very good view with a window seat and perfectly fine, if not really memorable, food. http://www.cafedecogroup.com/cafed/v_deco.asp

Also on the Hong Kong side, with a view there is Pierre in the Mandarin Hotel which is French (executive chef is Pierre Gagnaire), expensive but does have a very good view. Next door on the same floor is the Man Wah Restaurant which is Shanghainese cuisine in what I think is the most elegant decor in town for a Chinese restaurant (and very good food). The tables along Chater Garden would have a decent view. In Causeway Bay, is the very popular, casual and fun ToTTs in the Excelsior, they have a nice view, it’s not as expensive as the other hotel restaurants, go to http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/517000040.asp. In the Four Seasons there is Caprice, very good pricey French, although I have to say I don’t think the view is that great. In the nearby IFC mall, two restaurants with very good food and pretty good views are ISOLA bar and grill (http://www.isolabarandgrill.com/, has a very nice outdoor terrace) and Harlan's (http://www.harlans-ifc.com/serv_menus.php; this is casual, he also opened a more formal restaurant upstairs). Finally, for good French in a formal setting with a good view, there is Petrus in the Island Shangri-La try http://www.shangri-la.com/hongkong/island/en/index.aspx

Johnmango, I would call Hutong and the other restaurants on the floor(s) there to be “mid-priced”. The dishes in Hutong are served family style of course, so sometimes this is harder to judge as you end up splitting everything in a group rather than paying per person. Prices around HK$300 for entrees and around HK$220 for appetizers. The view is excellent and I think the food is very good.

The light show is something I have only seen parts of when I happen to be somewhere with a view at that; I would agree that it is not worth making a special effort to see, I don’t think I would make dinner reservations around it, or arrange your ONE night in Hong Kong to see it. It starts at 8 pm and runs for like 20 minutes.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM

My restaurant reccos can be found at my post called “Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)” Most of the above reccos are there.

Also, if you get a clear day on the Peak and want to do a great walk, try Severn Road, look for my post “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks: Severn Road, the Peak”. I think this is a better walk for views than the Lugard Road/Harlech Road loop mentioned in my other post; however it takes a little longer and does involve one uphill section that is steep (only 200-300 yards at most) and one longer but gentler slope. Lugard Road is flat. However, both the city harbour and south side/China Sea views you will get from Severn Road are better IMO. Severn Road will take about an hour, maybe a bit less depending on pace and how often you stop for photographs.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

something strange has been happening with forum messages the last few days.

I posted a response here with a simple short message thanking everyone for their help and that we have decided to dine at Hutong.

I posted the message yesterday, but today it soesn't show when I display the thread. However, it does show when I click on "reply".

Has anybody else noticed anything strange?